Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on June 15, 2004
Almost every song on this album (...). "Pay the man" is one of the best songs. It lasts for 8 minutes and yet it isn't boring, AT ALL. If you liked Smash, you'll love this. I even find this album better than Smash. It's just total pwnage!
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2003
Many people have dissed The Offspring for abandoning their punk roots for this "blatant" middle-of-the-road, radio friendly rock. I say "pooh!" When you look back at a song like "Self Esteem" from SMASH (which sold even more albums, but wasn't considered as "sell-out.") you see that Dexter and the boys really have a pretty sharp sense of humor. Their lyrics may seem angry, but really, they've always put a premium on fun and irony.
PRETTY FLY is a hilarious song. No two ways about it. GET A JOB is also hysterical. Even their take on FEELINGS evokes laughter. SHE'S GOT ISSUES is an amusing companion piece to "Self Esteem." These songs are fun to sing along with. And to me, that's a pretty great measure of success. When I hear one of these on the radio, even after all these years, I CRANK it up and sing along!!
Other songs, like THE KIDS AREN'T ALRIGHT, are a bit more "serious," and they're good too, but we really remember the humor.
And the music ROCKS. These guys can create some infectious hooks, and they jam pretty hard. It's a great album!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 1999 I go to the store, buy the CD, get home, sit down and listen to it, and in five minutes I have the CD player turned off and am thinking about how to destroy this CD. Right, so "Pretty Fly" is pretty catchy (I was singing, "Give it to me, baby..!" for weeks afterwards) and I think that "The Kids Aren't Alright" has real pain behind it, but the fact that some BSB lovers are buying this CD now totally destroys this group's image- in my eyes, at least. Offspring used to be a hard-core punk band, now they're sucking up to the teens who love to be bopped. I'm serious. I'm disgusted by the way that the Offspring now go about with their music. They need to get their rears in gear and play some punk, not pop. I'll be waiting for them when they finally return to punk rock. If they ever do. And with all these complaints, you might wonder why I still gave it two stars....well, how can I give a band that has been my favorite for like five year any less???
on April 19, 1999
I bought this CD under the influence of "Pretty Fly for a White Guy." I had no clue what to expect since I avoided music until just recently, but I was pleasantly surprised. From the gratuitous introductory track to the slow yet likable three minute guitar solo of "Pay the Man," I can honestly say I love this CD. The music is energetic and distinct (unlike some of the incoherent, static-blurred music from Smash), and the lyrics are, at times,oddly philosophical or just funny. I bought a copy of Ixnay on the Hombre and Smash about a month later. In comparison, I have to say this is a fun CD, but not as lyrically intelligent as Ixnay or as head-bangy punkblast as Smash. NOTE TO ALL OFFSPRING FANS WHO SAY THIS IS THEIR WORST CD EVER: Did you ever think that even if this is the worst album ever released by the Offspring, it can still be a good CD? I know it's different, but give it another chance.
on October 29, 1999
Overall this is a good CD, but I was still pretty disappointed. So many of the songs try to sound sound happy and be funny lyrically that the album sounds very little like their older albums. In fact, the only really cool songs on this CD were the ones with more serious lyrics, such as Have You Ever, Staring at the Sun, The End of the Line, No Brakes, and my favorite The Kids Aren't Alright. Also, although Pay The Man seems to be mostly experimental, it's a very good song. Being over 8 minutes, it will probably take you some patience to listen to. I'm also very disappointed with the bands single choices. When choosing singles you should choose songs that represent the albums style and the band. and if Pretty Fly and Why Don't You Get a Job? are meant to do that, then the band has definately lost something over the last couple years, Ixnay and Smash are sooooo much better.
on February 2, 2000
"Americana" is a great cd if you're trying to ease yourself into the world of punk. An all-around quality album, it mixes lighter fare ("Why Don't You Get a Job?") with songs that harken back to the golden age of The Offspring ("The Kids Aren't Alright" and "Americana"). These are not tracks for the intellectually challenged (except for "Pretty Fly"). Be prepared for a strong dose of social commentary.
For those of you who are already fans, "Americana" is a bit of a change. Yes, the punk is diminished in a few tracks, but it never disappears entirely.
If you can get past the annoying "Pretty Fly" this is definitely an album worth buying. But if you really want to hear The Offspring in their prime, go buy "Ixnay on the Hombre", "Ignition" or "Smash".
on April 27, 2000
When I got this album in January 1999, I thought it was great. But ever since I got Smash, another album by the Offspring from 5 years ago, I've barely listened to it again. The Offspring toned down their guitars for this album, and sold out by making that video for "Pretty Fly (For a white Guy)." Anyway, most of the songs are light and boring, and almost all of them are about relationships. The high points of this album were songs number 7,12,and 13, but that's about it. If you are looking into buying an Offspring album, please do NOT buy this one. The great number of people who have bought this album doesn't mean anything. Consider buying "Smash" or "Ignition" instead. To sum this album up, I can think of one word: SELLOUT!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2000
Me myself am a HUGE Offspring fan, and after four great 5-star albums, I was totally psyched to find that the Offspring had a new album was coming out. I picked it up the day it came out, and I must say I am rather dissapointed. Gone are the teen angst punk riffs and lyrics. Here is the newer side of the Offspring, the sarcastic, catchier version of the Offspring. No more songs like "All I Want" and "The Meaning Of Life". In are the super catchy and funny "Pretty Fly" and "Why Don't You Get A Job". While I miss the punk myself, this is pretty dang catchy if I do say so myself. I have been humming the "Give it to me baby" line every day since I first heard it. Dexter still has that whiny voice that everybody loves, and it seems as if Noodles has improved since the self-titled days. Here is a run-down of the songs on a scale or 1 to 5... 1. Welcome-Like always, the Offspring have "the voice" doing the first track of the album. I won't give this a rating 2.Have You Ever-The album starts off good with the best track on the album. This track probably resembles the old Offspring style the best. Whiny vocals, pounding drums, ahhh it brings me back to the days of "Smash" (5/5) 3. Staring At The Sun-Starts slow, then gains speed as the song goes on. My complaint is that the Offspring only thought of two verses for this song. They sang both verses twice! The drums are very good on this song (4/5) 4. Pretty Fly-Catchy as anything I've ever heard, I must admit I like this song. Everybody knows what it sounds like (4.5/5) 5. The Kid's Aren't Alright-Another good punky song. Awesome riffs by Noodles, nice whiny vocals by Dexter (5/5) 6. Feelings-I dont care for this song, it sorta sounds like the before track, A.F.I. vocalist Davey Havoc stars for a little on this track (3/5) 7. She's Got Issues-Another catchy song, resembles the Cars alot (3.5/5) 8. Walla Walla-I LIKE THIS SONG. The vocals are funny, and I absolutely love the chorus (4.5/5) 9. End Of The Line-Another cool punky song, about the death of a friend, Havoc also screams on this track at the end (4/5) 10. No Brakes-Fastest song on the album, this song has a very very good bass line in it by Greg K. Reminds me of "All I Want" for some reason...(4/5) 11. Why Don't You Get A Job-Catchy, catchy, catchy (4.5/5) 12. Americana-The title tracks are always good, intro is cool, awesome chorus (5/5) 13. Pay The Man-1st half egyptian stuff that gets a (1/5), 2nd half is old-school Offspring (4/5) (2.5/5) Secret Track-Stupid version of PFFAWG (1/5) It's a different side of the Offspring, but everybody should like it.
on September 6, 1999
This CD is awesome! The Offspring, one of the best bands ever, scores again with Americana. I liked all 13 tracks on this album. Americana is probably my favorite song on the album, followed by Staring at the Sun and the epic song Pay the Man, which if you fast-forward after the song ends, you will hear Pretty Fly For a White Guy set to spanish music. Coincidentally, Pretty Fly for a white Guy, the hit song off this album, is probably my least favorite song on the album. One regret: the songs are too short. Over half the songs on Americana are under 3 minutes, 10 seconds and only one is over 4 minutes. But overall, I give this CD 5 stars because it is probably one of the best CDs in stores now.
on January 19, 2000
The Offspring prides itself from removing its music from the "poison" of pop. However, their latest effort, "Americana," is not only pop, but an embarrassment of its incarnation. The album is filled with tiresome vocal delivery, an attribute so important in the success of their earlier sets, "Ixnay on the Hombre" and "Smash." Though "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" serves its purpose, the only saving grace of "Americana" is "The Kids Aren't Alright," an 80's metal-fused, power anthem. In the end, "Americana" isn't Americana. At least, let's hope not...