Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Color: Royal BlueChange

on December 1, 2013
I've used both Wilton and Americolor and I have to say Americolor is much better. My Wilton gels dry out before I have a chance to use them up. Plus, Americolor tends to give me "truer" colors and is easier to mix.

I've read all the reviews and I'd say that most of the reviews of 3 stars and below are out of ignorance. People either don't know how to use them, what to expect or how to mix different colors to get the desired effect.

1) Colors become more intense over time so it's easy to overdo it and come out with the wrong color. When working with royal icing for example, color your icing and wait before using to let the color develop. This is especially helpful for blacks, reds etc… If you can wait 24 hrs, you will know the final results for sure before getting up to your elbows in alligators with your project.

2) Americolor and Wilton do their best to come up with "true" colors but often additional mixing is required. Don't be surprised if you feel the need to add additional colors to change the hue or brightness (black, white and ivory are great tools for this purpose). Just the way it goes. Also, don't expect the correct color if you over do it, back to #1.

3) These colors are incredibly concentrated so don't be depressed over the small size! If a recipe is calling for an ounce of color (think velvet cakes) I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they are talking about a liquid.

4) If you're having trouble getting the right depth for dark colors like red and black for example, try adding cocoa powder to achieve the desired effect. Almost every baker has it in the cupboard, just go easy.

If all else fails, do some research! There is so much information available from food bloggers and company webpages that no one should feel completely left in the dark.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 11, 2012
I finally received the color that I ordered - there was a mixup on the seller's end, but they did
get right on it and send out the right color. I have not used it yet - I bought it for special cupcakes
for an event in a few days. I'll add to the review when we have actually used the product.

I did want to mention, though, for those who think this might be a really great deal - the bottle
you see in the photo is NOT the bottle you are purchasing. You are getting one of the very small (under 3" tall)
drop bottles, not one of the large ones shown in the photograph. I wanted to point that out, because for people who
are only looking at the photos, it is misleading. Not sure why some sellers feel the need to be sneaky, but
I guess they try for more sales that way.

I'll be back to review the actual gel once we are done with the project.
Just don't expect the big bottle when you purchase from this listing.

Well, I am now a HUGE fan of the gel coloring!
It worked like a dream, gave us a beautiful frosting that looked like black leather (but soft).
No purples or blues, no weird shades - just great color.
Now I will probably have to get more colors, because with these, I might start decorating cupcakes again!
I am adding a photo of our cookout cupcakes that we used the frosting for... it all looked great!
review image
on May 23, 2013
Item description indicated that this was for a 5 ounce bottle, I received a .75 ounce bottle at an inflated price (I can get it much cheaper locally in the smaller size). All seller offered to do was correct the listing! Horrible service, don't order from LARKS!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2012
I read the previous reviews of AmeriColor's Super Black icing coloring and decided to give it a try to make my daughter's zebra-striped birthday cake. I wanted a black that I could use without having to start with chocolate icing (birthday girl does not like chocolate!). It turned snow-white marshmallow fondant BLACK, with very little of the gel and no noticeable taste difference. I was afraid that the coloring would leave my hands purple or blue, but the only place I noticed a stain was where I touched the full-strength coloring directly--once I mixed it in with the melted marshmallow before mixing the powdered sugar in to make the fondant, there were not problems with stains. I can't say if it would stain stone counters, though--I was not brave enough to test it on my granite, and so I kneaded the fondant on wax paper. Like other reviewers, I was a Wilton fan for years, but love this new alternative and will definitely be using AmeriColor from now on.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2011
When I learned to decorate cakes over 10 years ago, I learned using Wilton. I love Wilton, I'm a big advocate for all things Wilton. Until now. I am officially an Americolor convert. These colors are so amazingly vibrant! And using them to make paint (with clear vanilla), to paint on fondant and gumpaste is a TREAT. They are some much smoother and easier to use and the colors are so brilliant I doubt I will ever buy Wilton color again. I still love many, many things Wilton - but for color I'm hooked on Americolor!
on March 19, 2013
I bought this to make candy meth for a Breaking Bad viewing party because I'm that sort of person. If you stop reading now I understand.

I don't know that I would call it a paste, and its barely a gel but it is of a thicker consistency than the food color drops I've used in the past. However the color was spot on for my blue meth candy!

I imagine if you're looking for a coloring that is of a gel or paste consistency its because you maybe don't want to thin out a frosting or icing too much with something liquidy and while this is not thick, I think the concentrated vibrancy of the color would require less than regular coloring and so it should be ok.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2015
It turned the white vanilla frosting a tire black. AWESOME! Took quite a bit to do it, but so much better than having a weird dark purple! See the cake edging in my picture. People's tongues became black though so be warned!
review image
on June 26, 2013
Please note that the picture describing the item is for the larger bottle. I would have never paid that much shipping for the .75 size. I realize it was part my fault for not reading the description better, but your picture of the item is very misleading! I bought another bottle for about the same price from another company with free shipping!!! Way overpriced when you factor in shipping cost!
on May 13, 2011
I used this product to turn white icing into a nice dark green color for an Alligator cake. I put most of the bottle into the icing and you couldn't even taste it. Several people asked how I was able to get such a great dark green!
on October 17, 2010
Turns royal icing black, black, black with one squirt. Amazing! Sorry for the repetitions, but it really is fabulous ... and black.:)