5.0 out of 5 stars Great little smoker
Published on January 7, 2013 by kj

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad compromise!
Published on December 28, 2012 by Natalie Fayman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little smoker, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
Really like it. The thermometer is a must-have to keep the temperature constant. One thing to note - if you are smoking something over a longer period (say, ribs or a thicker cut of meat), once the wood chips get black it's best to stop and dump them out completely and put some fresh ones in, then start it up again. When the wood chips turn black, if you continue to heat them while cooking the food, the smoke starts to give the food a burnt flavor instead of a rich, woodsey, smoky flavor, and throwing new chips on top of the old black ones doesn't help. I learned that the hard way. Also, try using dry tea, whole spices or cinnamon bark with (or instead of) your wood chips for some really interesting flavors, especially for chicken, fish or vegetables. Putting a couple of drops of sesame oil on the wood chips beforehand also gives the smoked food a great flavor. Don't oil up your wood tho - you don't want to start a fire. Just a few drops. I also learned that the hard way. Final tip: use your stove vent, set on high! Especially if you have smoke detectors in your house.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad compromise!, December 28, 2012
Natalie Fayman "Vampyrvet" (Boynton Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
If you don't want a big outdoor smoker, don't have the room for one, or just don't want to clean one, this stove-top smoker is a decent compromise. It's not entirely sealed so some smoke smell will get into your house, but I personally don't find it unpleasant. In fact, it makes me crave more smoked meat! I live alone so this is the perfect solution for one person just beginning to experiment with meat smoking. I've tasted meats prepared in a real outdoor smoker and this isn't quite the same, but that could also be my lack of experience too. Overall, I'd have no problems recommending this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE my smoker!, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
Just love this Amerihome Stove Top Kettle Smoker! Now, don't get me wrong -- it cannot compare with outdoor slow smoked barbeque, but when time nor weather permits it's a great way to get a smokey flavor to foods. And clean up is a breeze as long as you avoid sugary seasonings or marinades. I add much more wood "dust" than the 2 recommended tablespoons because I prefer a stronger smoke flavor. Also, although adding water to the drip pan adds moisture, you will get a stronger smoked flavor if you dry smoke it. I also agree with another reviewer who complained about the rack being difficult to remove. Some kind of little lifting handle would have been nice. I stick a long-handled fork into the holes to remove the rack. Other than that it's a great little indoor smoker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
My husband and I have used this inside and outside. It does an amazing job. We have smoked salmon which were delicious and a bunch of pork chops (bone in). The meat literally fell off the bone. It is so simple to use and makes amazing meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars beats the heck out of using the grill in winter!, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
Well made, easy to use! No smoke in the house if you have a downdraft fan, and it is an easy cleanup. Be sure to also order the companion book "Smokin'" by Christopher Styler----you wouldn't believe what you can smoke with excellent results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Performs very well, better than expected, January 17, 2014
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
My wife got this for me for Christmas. So far, I've smoked several types of meats, including pork loin, corned beef brisket, and chicken. I've overcooked a couple of items, but am getting the hang of it now. Last night, I made bacon-wrapped chicken tenders smoked with applewood and the smoke flavor was excellent, and the meat tender. I should point out that the 2-page instruction pamphlet included in the Amerihome branded smoker is woefully short on cooking tips. Interestingly, the same smoker is offered by Nordicware and features a much more comprehensive multi-page manual with tips and recipes. However, the Amerihome runs $15 - $20 cheaper for the very same smoker, so there is a trade-off. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a 5-star rating is the lack of a useful instruction manual. I was concerned about smoking up the house since I do not have an exhaust fan over the stove. However, I only had to open a window once, when using hickory, probably the strongest smoking wood. Usually, the kitchen just ends up smelling somewhat like an authentic barbeque restaurant.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
Great product and came quickly, I didn't realize it.... but not for an apartment that does not have direct vent outside from stovetop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., February 11, 2013
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
I ordered this smoker in December after having seen a similar one on the cooking channel, it took a while to arrive ( because of where I live) but it was well worth it. I used it for the first time on Sunday and was so surprised at its easy use and quick cleanup. I lined the tray as suggested and had absolutely no problem . My first meal I'm my smoker was ribs. They were tender, juicy and delicious . Well worth the price. Looking forward to years of great smoking!

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to use, October 12, 2013
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
I'm enjoying smoked salmon, ribs and other stuff. No fuss and easy cleanup when using foil to line bottom tray. Even the grill is an easy cleanup. Recommend it to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty design., December 11, 2013
This review is from: Amerihome HS07587 Stove Top Kettle Smoker (Lawn & Patio)
The enamel caught fire. It says it is safe for a gas stove top, but clearly it is not. Not it is ruined and this is only the second time I've used it. As one of the other reviewer pointed out, the handles get super hot! Make sure you have asbestos gloves before testing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›