Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ameriphone XL50 Phone with 60-dB Amplification and Large Keypad (White)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 10, 2007
I purchased this phone for my dad, who has hearing aids (and always seems to be having problems with them) and is in a nursing home. For an older person who may have trouble figuring out phones with lots programmable buttons/features, this phone was a really good choice. The phone had features that I wanted (easy keypad, speed dial buttons, volume control, amplification/clarity features), but not lots of extras that I know he either won't use or understand how to use. The speed dial buttons are easy to figure out (a family member programmed them for him) and are helpful for him, since he finds remembering numbers (or locating them/dialing them in) difficult. The best part of this phone is that I can now have an almost normal conversation with him, whereas before we used to spend a good deal of time repeating ourselves, then sometimes giving up. In fact, I was pleasantly shocked to have the first conversation with him and find that instead of asking me what I said, he just continued right on with a reply to what I was saying! I do wish it had a speakerphone feature, but the fact that we can have a normal conversation makes up for that.
11 comment| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2008
I have severe hearing imparment and have used three of these phones in my home for over 5 years. I was experiencing significant challenges with phone conservations due to my hearing impariment. It's difficult finding a phone that is user friendly for those that wear hearing aids as well as for the rest of the family that has normal hearing. This phone allowed me to successfully use the phone again.

I have not had any problems with the phones until approximately a year ago. I'm finding that the clarity of the incoming call is no longer crystal clear. This could be due to the telephone provider (AT&T) because I often notice static or noise during the call, or to changes in my hearing. I'm going to switch to digital service that is provided by my cable company.

Also, approximately a year ago I noticed that on all three of my phones, when I adjust the tone the volume cuts out. That's a huge problems for me, and tone adjustment was one of the main reasons I purchased this phone in the first place.

At work I use the Hearsay Speech-Adjust-a-Tone in-line amplifier that attaches to any standard phone that has the keypad in the base. The quality of the sound is outstanding. I'm going to replace 2 of my Ameriphones with a standard phone and add the Speech-Adjust-a-Tone amplifier. Perhaps going with digital phone service will help as well.
on January 25, 2008
This phone does have easy to operate controls and easy to see number pad.
My mother has no problem hearing the at her end she just adjusts the volume to suit her. However often times the party at the other end of the line gets audio distrotion or my mothers voice drops out completly. It's kind of annoying for her to have to repeat herself all the time. The operators manual says to disconnect other devices on the line like: phones, answering system, Fax units etc. and it may resolve the problem, well it dosen't, besides this is not even a reasonable request - take everything off line except the Ameriphone?? get real! This problem is consitant with every one she talks to. In spite of what others have said I'm not to impressed with this phone I expected more for my money. I do not recommend it if people at the other end can't understand you what's the point.
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2010
I bought this amplification phone as a gift for my severely hearing impaired elderly father. The product worked great for about a month or so, and then just stopped working. I called the manufacturer but they said I needed to go back to Amazon because I bought the product from Amazon, not them. I called Amazon and explained the situation, but Amazon refused to replace the item because it was outside the 30-day "return" window. I explained the product only stopped working recently - i.e., after the 30-day return window had passed - and that I did not want to return the item for my money back, I just wanted them to replace a defective product. But Amazon continued to recite the return policy and said there was nothing they could do for me. I spoke to a supervisor and asked her to make a one-time exception as an accommodation but she repeatedly refused, and said they could not make any exceptions to their policy. All companies are able to make exceptions to their policies if they really want to. Amazon is just choosing not to do so, which is unfair, disappointing, and extremely poor customer service. I specifically chose to purchase through Amazon because I thought it would be better and hassle free. Boy was I wrong on all counts. Amazon claims to be customer service oriented, and pretends to be helpful and accommodating, but the reality is that they won't work with you to rectify problems. I will NEVER shop with Amazon again after this experience.
on July 12, 2007
I bought this phone for my dad who was significant hearing loss from nerve deafness and old age. He is deaf in his right ear and has about 30% of his hearing in the left. He can hear the phone ring easily and likes the big buttons. He can now talk to my four-year-old niece on the phone with no difficulty. Which is great because she lives in Canada and he doesn't get to see her very often. This is a good product.
on June 15, 2007
The phone does amplify; but you have to balance the tone with the volume or you'll end up with a very garbled amplification.
on February 11, 2007
I have nothing but good things to say about this phone. Great amplification, good sound quality. I just with they made cordless phones with these properties.
on September 8, 2007
I tried several phones for the hearing impared and did not find a satisfactory one till I purchased the Ameriphone XL 50. This is a product that certainly meets my needs. I can highly recomend it. Very easy to set up.
on May 11, 2008
This phone is the first phone my mother has been able to comfortably use for a couple of years. She is getting very deaf and has a lot of confusion with things. The quick dial buttons have made it possible for her to make calls, rather than just receive them. The only feature I would like to see added is an option to leave the amplification on all the time, instead of having to actuate it every time the phone is used. She often forgets to push the button and then has a hard time hearing. Overall, it is a great product and I am very satisfied.
on January 10, 2011
Over many years I have purchased several Walker Clarity phones for my father-in-law who has significant hearing loss and needs amplification to understand most phone conversations. In general these phones have been very effective and make life much easier for all of us.

Recently, the better of two such phones (one which he'd been using for well over 15 years) ceased to function. He still had a second and somewhat cheaper model that worked reasonably well but I wanted to replace his better phone with an updated version. I bought the Ameriphone XL50 expecting that it would work at least as well or better. It didn't. After several days trial, I am returning the phone and will be looking for a different model.

In general, the features of this new phone would seem to promise improvement over older technology. It claims greater amplification, improved feedback control, and better tone adjustment to selectively enhance high or low frequencies as needed. In practice however, the overall tone delivered to the ear by the XL50 was significantly lower in quality than that of the older Walker Clarity still in operation.

In a side-by-side comparison to the older phone, the XL50 sound was distinctly less clear, produced greater hiss at all tone settings, provided less actual voice amplification relative to other incidental noises, and was simply a strain to listen to and understand--even for someone with unimpaired hearing. Voices sounded "hollow" and far away even when amplified to an uncomfortable level for me and the overall effect for my father-in-law was distinctly less intelligibility compared to his older phone.

I have no reason to think that the particular phone we were testing was malfunctioning but without other sets to compare I can't say that our experience was the norm. I will say that the phone seemed to be working as designed but perhaps not as promised. It appears to me that perhaps in this particular implementation of the technology the manufacturer chose to place too much emphasis on sound frequency corrections and digital processing at the expense of overall sound quality.