5.0 out of 5 stars Ameristep Doghouse Blind w/ Realtree Camo
Published on July 5, 2012 by Roger L.

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the price
I bought this blind cheap to leave out in the field all season. It made it through one season and has started on another. Not as roomy as the hub blinds. 2 can sit in it, but only room for one to shoot a gun. After about 3 1/2 months sitting out in the field it is showing some wear on the roof where the support poles rub. I would buy another.
Published 21 months ago by D P C

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ameristep Doghouse Blind w/ Realtree Camo, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
I purchased this Doghouse blind a couple weeks ago. First, when you take the blind out of it's storage bag hang on to it with both hands. Second, with enough area room, let go. The coil spring steel framing will open and your blind is almost up. Third, unzip the door, get inside with the roof poles. The poles easily arch with the end tips inserted into strong webbing pockets, with tie's top center of ceiling to X poles together. If you need more light with the black interior open a window.
Place your four corner stakes to base...plus four stakes with tie-down cords, and your in business. It only takes a few minutes to set up.
Taking the blind down and getting it back into the storage bag takes some practice because you are making the large coil springs back into about a 2ft. circle.
I watched a "simple video" on the method to make the circles and couldn't do it. Then my wife did it first try, and with her help I finally got it.
Because the carry bag was black I made it Real Tree to Match. I also did extra waterproofing with "Atsko" water-guard. This was my personal choice. It did slightly darken the color a small amount.
This waterproofing product leaves no scent after it is dry. I have had it sitting in the woods for a week, and we had a nasty thunder storm with high winds. It is still standing unharmed, and perfectly dry inside. I already love it, and will be bow/deer hunting in it this coming season. Can't wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Blind for the money, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
My husband was going hunting and waited until the last minute to purchase a new deer blind. Of course, all of the local stores were out of stock (even the well known sporting stores). I decided to look online and found this blind. Not only was it available for two day shipping through my prime membership, it was also quite a bit less expensive than the same ones offered at the local stores. I ordered it and it arrived the day he went hunting. Great timing.

The blind is roomy and extremely easy to set up. It's not as easy to fold back up, but once you get the hang of it, it does fold up quickly. This blind is of good quality and works great.

For the money, you won't go wrong with this blind.

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the price, October 2, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Blind, September 7, 2012
Chino (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
Just got back from my bow hunt and used this blind the whole time. It worked perfectly for hiding me and my scent! But the reason I gave it only 4 stars is it was really hard to draw a bow in it. One more foot to the width would have helped a lot! I had to draw the bow at an angle in the corner of the blind than bring it back on target, and even than I had to be real careful not to touch the side of the blind with my broadhead. So I suggest taking a measurement including taking you arrow length and the space it would require to draw your bow before buying any type of blind...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hunting blind, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
This is a great blind. I was a little concerned about this blind when I got it because it is pretty inexpensive. However, when I took it out of the box and set it up in about 5 minutes, I was very impressed. It is an ideal blind to leave in the woods for a few months. The windows are also great because it has a zipper on each side that will create large openings and it also has zippers that create small windows on 3 sides. These small windows also have mesh that will go over them to allow you to stay covered but cool as well. It is not a large stand, so I wouldn't recommend it for bow hunting, but it works well for rifle hunting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ameristep Doghouse Blind, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
I bought the Ameristep doghouse blind about 2 years ago for the sole purpose of being able to bring my 3 year old hunting with me. Over the past 2 years I only set it up and broke it down in the basement just to keep practice of the set up and break down. This blind can be very tricky to break down. There is a video on youtube which is basically a must watch, you will not figure it out yourself. Anyways, I bought 2 hunting stools to use in it as a regular folding chair will have you sitting too high to properly use the windows. This past week I finally took it out on a duck hunt here in Colorado. The blind had enough room for myself, my 3 year old, gear and a small portable heater (temps were in the 20s). The blind worked great until the afternoon winds started kicking up. Even with the blind staked out I had to grab the walls several times as I could swear it was going to blow away with me inside of it. I finally called it quitting time and started to pack it up. Since the winds were so bad once I took the stakes out I had to hold on for dear life so the blind would fly away like a kite. In my haste to break it down quickly as it was now acting like a sail in the wind I forgot to remove the tent poles and when I went to break it down one of the poles snapped. So now after my first use I have a broken pole (I guess that was my fault). Anyways, I would suggest this blind to someone who plans on hunting in calm weather. Any wind and you will be miserable. I would guess you could fit 2 grown adults in the blind, however it is much better used as a father-son, father-daughter or so on kind of thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
This blind could use a few tweaks to be an absolute wonderful blind. As others have said the screen "shoot through" window is secured by velcro... VELCRO! The noisiest of all fastening solutions. To top it off, the screen Shoot through window is a relatively small square with a very limited view of your peripheral. In the product picture you can see the whole window is down - there is not a screen in taht shot, it's open without any barrier (mosquito or visible to the prey). So, I either have to have it open (like in the picture) and sit back and low while watching for prey and get eaten alive by mosquitos, or have it closed with only the small square sceen open and have a very narrow view of my field.

A person might ask, "why not open the side windows for more view and venting? Depending on your prey, you don't want more than one opening for venting because the blind is supposed to help hold your scent inside - having a cross breeze kills that. Hogs can't hear or see well, but will smell you quickly.

I'm going to customize this blind, and sew a large piece of fine screening to the top of the front above the window, possibly with weak magnets down the sides while leaving the bottom free to flop against the blind. In this manner, you could push your shotgun/rifle through/under the screen without making noise and take your shot, while keeping the bugs out (at least until your shot).

Great video online to help you collapse this thing - super easy after you get the hang of it. The blind is good, but it could be GREAT with a few tweaks. Zippers and velcro are the loudest things ever, this thing has both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, November 12, 2013
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
Bought this for taking our kids hunting. It allows my to keep them in reach while hunting as is required in MN. Easy set up and take down. Very portable. A bit small if I wanted to shoot my bow from within but works perfect for the kids. In that sense, it is perfect for what I got it for. Well done Ameristep.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING ITEM TRIED & VERY PLEASE WILL USE FOR DEER SEASON IN SEPTEMBER HIGHLY RECOMMEND, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
WORKS GREAT---AMAZED & PLEASED---HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT----WILL USE IT FOR DEER HUNTING 25 SEPTEMBER W. A COMPOUND BOW & AGAIN IN GUN SEASON

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small for bow., July 23, 2013
This review is from: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Realtree AP (Camo) (Sports)
If your looking to hunt with bow buy a bigger blind. It is next to impossible to draw in this model without sticking your arrow out the windows or bumping and rattling the whole blind. It's fine for gun though. I am thinking I might have to leave the back door open and use some camo tarps to extend out the back out so I can sit further back for bow use.The windows are slightly too low also if you are sitting on a stool or bucket seat.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›