5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a toy.
Published on August 26, 2004 by D. Hayman

3.0 out of 5 stars With a little work, this is a neat little guitar
I wasn't very happy with this little guitar when it arrived. There were several strings that sounded deadened, and it would not stay in tune. Since I already owned the guitar, I decided to see what could be done. I bought a new set of Gotoh classical tuners,a new set of quality strings, and proceeded to install them.

Installing the tuners was easy and straigt...
Published on January 31, 2008 by C. Lane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a toy., August 26, 2004
D. Hayman (Springfield, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
I have an Almansa 435 Seniorita, which is a very lovely little classical guitar, so I have some idea what a decent classical guitar should sound like. I got this little one for my son, who is 5, and didnt want to spend much because you know how children can be when it comes to lessons and instruments. I was very surprised at the quality of the sound. It is still in it's breaking in period, so the strings are still stretching, but it sounds really, really, nice. I even played on it myself (you know, just to get it warmed up for my son!) and it truly is not bad. Doesnt sound "tinny" or "toyish". Sounds like a classical guitar. Now I bought a much more expensive one a few years ago for my daughter, who has since given up the guitar, and that was handmade in mexico, solid wood, 3/4 size, and didn't sound nearly as good as this little thing. For this price, you get a solid spruce top, the finish is nice, kind of matted, the tuners are pretty good, and so far the strings aren't too bad. The base strings look like they could be silver-plated. Unfortunately you dont get any product information in the box so who knows where the strings came from and what kind they are (the guitar is romanian), but the main thing is that the guitar sounds so nice that a child will be encouraged to continue, the teacher will be pleased, and the parents will not have to suffer from more than the usual beginning-any-instrument "noises", and perhaps a lot less because it has such a pleasant sound. Now of course it isnt comparable to the almansa or to finer guitars, but for a young child who is serious about wanting to study classical guitar, this is a very fine instrument at an EXCELLENT price. This model is sold on other sites for about 20 dollars more, but why pay that?! If you are looking for a small guitar for your young child, this one is a very good bet. A real, very decent sounding, classical guitar for the price of a toy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A kids guitar you can be happy with, July 23, 2005
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
We bought this guitar for our smaller seven year old son. It was hard to choose a guitar, because there are so many out there...toy version and real...but which to choose? This one is worth the pos. feedback I am giving it. It seemed so small and cute when I opened it, but it is perfect for little hands and bodies! I found the price very reasonable since we aren't sure if he will "keep the interest",(some toy ones cost close to this) but yet I wanted him to feel like he was getting a REAL guitar, in hopes that he will keep learning. I found that the guitar is very nice, not a toy at all, tunes well, looks very attractive and sounds nice too. I was impressed that it came with a warranty. I am happy that I didn't spend close to this for the toy versions...and I got the real deal instead. Shipping was INCREDIBLY fast from this company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, October 24, 2005
Peter Lin (worcester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
I've been playing guitar for about 10 years and recently wanted to get my Son a guitar for his birthday. The look of the guitar is nice and the sound is decent. For 50.00, the guitar is a solid value. the overall sound of the guitar is some where between ukulele and a full size guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 3-8 yr old children!, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
If you want an inexpensive, 1/2 size guitar for your child, this is the one to get. The price is great and it has a sold soundboard, which is unheard of at this price. The tuners work very well, the neck and action are very good, and it sounds good. I highly recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased with this purchase!, February 24, 2007
Kevin (LA, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
This is a real guitar. It will take a while to get it tuned properly due to new strings, so be patient. If you child has a guitar fixation, then this is just the fix. It will be too small for 6 year olds so be sure to get a 3/4 size for them. But this guitar is real and nicely made for such a low price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good children's guitar - 4.5 stars, May 20, 2009
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
I was hesitant to purchase this guitar but based on the reviews and the fact that this guitar is one of the top sellers I decided to buy one for my seven year old child. I didn't know what to expect since I have not purchased an Amigo before; the brand does not even have its own website. Overall the construction is good. The satin finish and unfinished interior look clean. I can attest to the fact that the top IS SOLID and not laminate.

The original strings sounded absolutely dead so I swapped them with D'Addario EJ45s. The tuners were fine but I went ahead and swapped them with Gotoh economy lyra style classical tuners from stewmac.com, which was basically a plug and play operation. I had to make two new holes for two screws; I basically used pressure to seat the screws. A gig bag does not come with the guitar so I had to search high and low for a nice padded gig bag that would fit the below dimensions. Action is high. I had to lower the height at the bone saddle and synthetic nut. I lowered the saddle by sanding it down with sandpaper. For the nut, I purchased some inexpensive (<$30) nut files and used them to lower the action at the nut. The fretboard looks dyed black. Fret ends are smooth.

Approximate dimensions: Overall length - 32 3/8"; body length - 15"; upper bout width - 9"; waist width - 7 13/16"; lower bout width - 11 1/2"; body depth - 3 15/16"; scale - 20 1/2"; nut width 1 3/4"; E to E string width - 2 1/8".

Now to the good part. The size is perfect for my child. With the new strings, the sound is surprisingly good. The tone, helped by the solid top, is enjoyable to listen to if not as resonant and rich as a full size quality classical guitar. The body does resonate when plucking the strings. Does not sound boxy at all. With some minor upgrades and adjustments, I am very happy with this guitar, although I did have to pay a little bit more to replace the strings, tuning machines (optional Gotohs from stewmac.com), purchase a new gig bag (purchased one on eBay from 2Kool4Skool, which fit perfectly!), purchase sandpaper and nut files (from eBay) to take care of the action at the saddle and nut.

3.0 out of 5 stars With a little work, this is a neat little guitar, January 31, 2008
C. Lane (Mid State, Maine) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)

Installing the tuners was easy and straigt forward, the only caution I have is to look at how the old pegs turn before you install the new ones. I didn't know how to tie the strings, so I Googled installing nylon strings, and found instructions that were easy to follow.

After installing the tuners and pre-stretching the strings, I was pleasantly surprised with the sound of this little guitar, and it now holds its tune very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, December 6, 2006
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
For the price, I expected a toy. I was surprised to open the box and find an honest to goodness classical guitar. The construction, fit and finish are impeccable. The sound is certainly not concert quality, but that is to be expected on a $50 dollar instrument. The tuning is reasonably accurate, and it is a pleasure to play. I have told me son about it and he is going to buy one for his son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Student Guitar, November 26, 2008
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
When our son decided he wanted to take guitar lessons instead of piano like his older brother I was a little nervous. But we found a good classical guitar instructor and went shopping for his first guitar. I read every review for every 1/2 size guitar I could find here and other forums. I bought this one. My son loves it, but more importantly his teacher loves it. It is the perfect size for my 7 year old and it holds tune very well. The first few weeks he had it tuned everyweek because the strings were still streching, but it now sounds great. It has 3 nylon and 3 steel strings, typical for this type of guitar. If you are looking for a guitar for a serious student then this is the one. You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little guitar..., April 7, 2008
W "w" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amigo AM15 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (Electronics)
I shopped around for a low priced classical guitar and bought this one based on reviews. I was not only not dissapointed, I was very surprised with the quality of the instrument. I own three other premium guitars and have played guitar for thirty years. This guitar is a remarkable value at the price. One point to consider is that you will have to tune the guitar several times to allow the nylon strings to stretch enough to remain in tune as you play. This is common with nylon strings. There is nothing wrong with the tuning machines, as another reviewer has suggested.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›