Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Amish Cook at Home: Simple Pleasures of Food, Family, and Faith
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on April 6, 2013
Loved the book! Not only were there great recipes but you also learned so much from the book. Lovina has a way of writing that makes you feel like you are right there enjoying the time with her. A great learning experience when you read the books and find out so many things that you didn't know about the Amish. Read and enjoy.
on February 17, 2014
First, let me say that I ordered this book because I already have the "Amish Cook's Baking Book" and, while it is definitely a coffee-table type book, it is one of my favorite cookbooks to use. Simple, easy recipes all through the book, but if you are looking for all home-grown/homemade ingredients, or organic-type recipes, you won't find it here. I have lived near Amish settlements all of my life, and been friends with numerous Amish families, as well as being raised in a similar background, albeit WITH cars, electricity, etc. The Amish are very frugal, so yes, some recipes use things like cream of mushroom soup, Velveeta cheese, and stuffing mixes-Aldi's is a favorite grocery store of many people!
on May 2, 2015
I love this cookbook! I first checked it out at the library and after making a couple recipes wanted my own copy. The bread recipe has become a staple at our house. We all love it and it is an easy yeast recipe! Several other good recipes...sugar cookies, whoopie pies. Some of the recipes are basic, but the ones we love make me a very happy purchaser of this cookbook. I also enjoyed the background story.
on October 28, 2008
This book is a beautiful collection of recipes, photography and stories. The recipes can be made from things you have in your home, and are good old fashioned comfort type foods. The amazing photography was all done at the Eicher farm and was taken during all four seasons of the year. The best part are the stories, which talk about cultural events in the life of the Amish, plus personal stories about life in the Eicher house. This is SO much more than a cookbook! It is a wonderful opportunity to take a peek into the life of an Amish family. You will love this book!
on November 13, 2008
I really love this cookbook book for its down-home simplicity. Lovina Eicher, the daughter of the late Amish food columnist Elizabeth Coblentz, continues her mother's sharing of recipes and Amish culture with the rest of this world in a book with stunning photography, articles which read like personal letters, recipes which are easy to make and tasty as well, and precious writing from her closest family.

The fact that the book centers on the seasons is a plus for me, not only because local is now "in", but also because I started my own vegetable garden this year as well as joined a CSA (community-supported agriculture) group. I closely identified with what the author wrote about seasonal produce and took special interest in each individual vegetable and fruit. The most beautiful part of the book for me was the section about the pumpkins because I grew my own (first) pumpkin this year. I could feel the author's excitement about her family's experiences raising their own food from the tilling of the soil all the way through to the end of the harvest.

I identified with almost all of what she had written except for her religion which was different from my own, but very interesting nevertheless. Some of Eicher's recipes I'd not make because I come from a tradition of not mixing milk and meat, however they are easy enough to modify so that I expect to have great fun adapting them to my own way of cooking.

While I was talking excitedly about this book, a friend asked to borrow it. I'll certainly lend it as it is truly a beautiful book to share. The fact is, though, that I'll soon be wanting it back. It's lovely. Don't miss it!
on February 23, 2013
There are lots of great "home-style" recipes and interesting tidbits about Amish life. Not written by someone "familiar" with the Amish, but by an Amish woman and her "English" editor.
on December 16, 2008
This is a beautiful book and I am giving them as Christmas presents this year.
I went ahead and gave my daughter her copy. She and two of her young daughters are choosing various recipes and then spending quality time in the kitchen making them.
on November 9, 2008
I read this entire book in one day and absolutely loved it! I have always been interested in the Amish and have read many books on their culture, but this was the best one I've read so far because the writing comes directly from an Amish woman. She shares her recipes, each one with her own personal comment, but she also shares so much of her family and daily life. The book is arranged in seasons, which I especially like. It's like going through a year with her family. I now have some excellent recipes to try, ones that are made with items I actually have in my kitchen, not gourmet items I'll have to hunt down. The photography throughout the book is truly exceptional, and the layout is pleasing. I cannot say enough good things about this beautiful book. This would make a great gift.
on December 23, 2008
It has taken me some time to review this book because I wanted to make a few of the recipes before I did. I will comment on the individual recipes farther down.

The book is gorgeous with lovely photographs of Amish life and food. The text is a wealth of information about Amish life in general and many specifics. Some of the author's children even contributed to the book. The story of the Amish Cook is interesting in and of itself. Lovina Eicher's mother, Elizabeth Coblentz, was approached by Kevin Williams about fifteen years ago to do a column for newspaper publication. She agreed and it grew to reach a huge readership. She also published a cookbook with Mr. Williams, The Amish Cook. In my research for this book I purchased the first volume of Elizabeth's columns and her cookbook. Her daughter's book follows the same pattern.

Amish cooking by nature is simple and nourishing. Mrs. Eicher has eight children so you can imagine no time for fussing and prinking. Her food is easy to prepare and, for those of us with smaller families, provides wonderful leftovers. It was a surprise to me to find many Mexican culinary influences among the recipes. This is explained in the book by the fact that Amish and Mennonites have been settling in Mexico since the 1920s. Mexico at that time offered them a country which would not insist on conscription as the Anabaptists are all pacifists. Over the last couple of decades many Amish have travelled to Mexico for medical treatments unavailable in the U.S. They are also less expensive as most Amish do not have health insurance.

Lovina's book is structured around the seasons - from Spring to Winter. She has a huge and varied garden and, along with the recipes, provides tips for cultivation and preservation. The Amish Cook At Home could be read simply as a history of the Amish without using the recipes but I recommend you give some of them a try.

Parmesan Chicken on page 25 is similar to a dish I have been making for years. Lovina's version makes tender and juicy chicken and I will be adapting her technique in the future. Some of us found the dish bland but, again, this is plain, simple food. You could easily spice up the flour mixture with whatever flavors you love. The process is simple and the result is delicious.

The Pumpkin Bread on page 129 is heavenly and disappeared like magic around here. Think zucchini bread but moister and more flavorful. It made some lovely Christmas gifts as well. I used little loaf tins and kept a close eye on them as they cooked much faster than the larger ones. This is a simple recipe and sooooo delicious my mouth is watering as I write this.

Pizza Casserole on page 119 is another I will be adding to my repertoire with a few tweaks. It is made with ground beef, mushrooms, spaghetti, pizza sauce and mozzarella. It fed four people with enough left over for two or three others. This was a fast dish to assemble and bake and very tasty and fulfilling. The only thing I would change for us would be to use Italian sausage in place of the ground beef. I do this with a lot of ground beef dishes to up the flavor.

Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos on page 95 were delicious and would make a wonderful hors d'oeuvre. I did have a bit of difficulty kneading the cheeses together in the plastic bag and ended up moving them to a bowl. Definitely a recipe to make again.

I have a lot of post-its sticking out of this cookbook and I will be trying more as time goes on. I don't always use a new cookbook immediately but in this case I am very glad I did.
on September 8, 2015
This was an amazing book! I absolutely loved it! I highly recommend it and this seller. We use the recipes in this book all the time and have yet to have one that we didn't like. A++