5.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY disturbing film.
Published on May 13, 2005 by AFP

2.0 out of 5 stars Amityville Redux!
Published on September 18, 2011 by Visa

5.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY disturbing film., May 13, 2005
There's alot of bad reviews for this movie, and I'm not too sure why. Yes it isn't original, quit complaining, it's a remake and it isn't trying to be original. It's better than the original in my opinion, this is one of the most disturbing horror movies to come out in a long time. The atmosphere is extremely dark and terrifying, the visuals are INCREDIBLE, the images are some of the most disturbing you will see in a long time. It's new, and that shouldn't take anything away from the movie itself, the creativity and imagination of the people who created the set is beyond belief. The use of blood in the film is really great and the acting couldn't have been better. This is one of the best horror film remakes ever, and if you're going to watch it, do so with an open mind and ignore any review good or bad and judge the film for yourself. It isn't exactly based on a true story, the people were murdered in the house but no paranormal events occured, if you don't believe me do some research on the internet, but still it makes for a good movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars high tension and edge-of-your-seat suspense, September 15, 2005
A Kid's Review
As I walked into the theater where The Amityville Horror was being shown, i was expecting it to receive a thumbs-down from me because the new remakes of famous movies are usually terrible-by that I mean either too much blood or too much intense violent scenes, usually not resembling the original in any way. Even though the remake did not really resemble the original, it was the most enjoyable movie I've seen in ages, especially towards the end. I would love to see a sequel in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly well made updating of the time-worn original, October 15, 2005
Brian (The Twilight Zone) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
Okay, before I begin, I would simply like to know what it was about this film that was allegedly so bad. I missed this one in theaters and have since read every manner of unfair dissertation you can possibly imagine. Do people these days go to movies solely for the purpose of picking them apart? Apparently, aside from myself and most of my immediate friends and family, they do. What gives? A great many who post here and on the many different message boards I frequent seem so vehemently against the existence of remakes. That leads me to wonder why they bother dedicating their time to watching them in the first place. These people have already convinced themselves of the presumptous notion that the movie will automatically bomb, so why do they put themselves through such unnecessary torture? I guess that is a mystery destined to remain unsolved.

I own the first two original "Amityville" films and, personally, I have to say I was very impressed with what I saw in this remake. Andrew Douglas comes across very competent in his directing skills, and Scott Kosar's screenplay got everything right. This was an updating that upped the intensity level several welcome notches, and the pacing was through the roof. I applaud these improvements because the original movie, while still a fairly decent film in its own right, has not aged very well. It was long overdue for a remake and, for my money, it was well worth the blind buy I made. Nobody will ever really know what happened in that house. Did Ronald De Feo hear voices that compelled him to slaughter his entire family? Were evil spirits or ghosts the real reason behind the Lutz family's departure? Who can say? This remake scored points with me because it gave me everything I wanted out of the original. I went into this looking for a fun, fast-paced thrill ride--which is exactly what all the promotional information promised it would be--and that is precisely what I got. I don't regret the time I invested while sitting through it and I still, for the life of me, do not understand why so many others continue to slam it into oblivion.

The DVD is nicely packaged, the transfer crisp and clear. I would recommend this to anybody who feels the same way about the originals as I do. It is not a classic, nor does it try to be. This is a horror movie, plain and simple, one that was done in very much the manner I would like other films to follow. Nice work, Mr. Douglas. Very nice, indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well What Did You Expect?, July 26, 2005
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
Wether or not you will like this movie really depends on if you can appreciate the style in which it is made. It's all about what you expected out of it. There are those out there that will never like a remake of any classic horror film. Personally, I love the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, and I can understand that it (as well as this movie) is a "re-telling" of a story. You can't hold these films up to their predecessors, because Platinum Dunes is "updating" these movies, not trying to improve them. Did you get the felling from the old version that nothing really happened at all? I felt it was very anti-climactic, and felt incomplete after the credits rolled. You won't get that from this version. It is highly entertaining and holds very little to the original. It is much more exciting, as well as scary. In fact, one of the best things about the film is that it is not full of only pop scares that you see comming on a second view. It really is frightening. Ryan Renolds gives an amazingly, unexpectedly, great perfomance. You just have to remember that this, even more so than the original is only INSPIRED by a true story, and very little ACTUALLY happend. It is a movie, and its written that way. Bottom line: this is an entertaining, well made, and scary movie that I could watch over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME!!, October 20, 2005
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
I saw this movie the 2nd week it came out with three of my best buddys. I saw the trailer for it on tv and it looked awsome because I loved scary movies. So one night me and my friends decided we were going to see a movie cause we were bored and we decided to see the amittyville horror. I can say that this movie was a creepy fest of gore and shock factors and it was awsome!! I have never been so scared in all my life, it even scared the crap out of all my friends. Even if it was R rated, we were allowed to go to see it--even if we were all under 17 (15 (me) 14, 14 and 13) when i left the theatures, I was pale and shaking. I know that alot of people on here thought this movie sucked and was crap, I completly dissagree. This is the best horror movie ever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a masterpiece...but good horror, January 15, 2007
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
This movie made me cringe in several places. I couldn't take it when the little girl was balancing herself on the top of the roof. The camera angles really got me. And when George made the kid hold the log wile he swung the axe to chop it was a reeal nail biter.

If you over analize it, you'll be disappointed. But if you approach this fast moving film as a joyride through terror...hop on!

At least rent it if you don't buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amityville Redux!, September 18, 2011
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
This had a lot of potential. Had a good atmosphere to it. Ryan Reynolds was actually pretty good here as well. The rest..ahh. What you have here is a very forced and silly movie that just doesn't live up to all it could have. The changes were all for the worse. Whats with the whole secret Indian Cave area? Don't you think someone would have noticed that at some point? Like ever? According to George Lutz that isn't what happened..yep one of those lets add crap for the sake of adding crap. THe whole Lutz story may or may not be a crock, but you could at least adapt their story and not make up some crap..very disappointing. Overall one of those bigger budget and updated look and feel don't make a better movie..Don't get me wrong the original isn't a masterpiece, but at least it was true to The Lutz's story and not a crock...

4.0 out of 5 stars It was enjoyable, September 3, 2005
chicoer2003 "chicoer2003" (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
I dont want to say it was better than the first, because that was 26 years ago. It's different: more gory, more frighting (using the quick pans and tense music) For a movie no adays it was up there on the scare factor. Reynolds is good, and is scary in the model of Nicholson in The Shining. A better remake in a time when they're bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ya know, for a remake, not too bad.........., November 16, 2005
Jason W. Kaiser (Beaverton, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
I loathe remakes, I really do, but I must confess, this was not half bad. I would go as far as to say this was a cut above the original. Why? you ask, well the original was over 2 hours and didn't need to be, and the acting was pretty poor, this version cuts the time down to 88 minutes and the acting is much, much better. George Lutz was played well by Ryan Reynolds, one of the hotter actors in Hollywood, and deserved, he has a special charisma and charm, plus he's a pretty damn good actor. It doesn't hurt that he has an incredible body with abs any man would kill for, and in his last 2 movies (Blade 3 and this one)
he is constantly running around without a shirt on, much to my wife and women everywhere's delight. Melissa George does a pretty good Margot Kidder, but it's the children that really steal the show. The younger daughter is excellent, as she is the one who can see Jody, one of the girls shot in the house, and Jody is not a very nice little girl, check out the scene with the babysitter locked in the closet, awesome segment.

The two sons are also strong, the older one has some intense scenes with Reynolds chopping wood, which is very creepy in a subdued sorta way.

My problems with the film? not too much, but the CG during the famous "flies" scene is a little weak and the ending is a bit anti-climatic, but those are both minor flaws in an over-all fun horror movie.

In recent years, remakes are coming out all over the place, Bewitched, Longest Yard, Bad News Bears, Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and must are a major disaster, but this one succeeds and it was nice to see. Ryan Reynolds is going to be huge, with recent release "Waiting" looking like it is going to be a minor hit and a holiday movie coming with the previews looking like it could be alot of fun(cuz you know previews are never wrong)

So, if ya want a fun, solid horror movie and High Tension and Devil's Rejects is checked out, get this, I think you'll be impressed.

acting.........3.5 stars, Reynolds and his abs rule the day
directing......4 stars, Very well done for a remake
special effects...3.5 stars, CG is weak, but the rest is creepy
horror rating....3.5 stars, A few chills, nothing serious
quality........4 stars, Great looking movie, house looks scary

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie!! Scarier and better than the original...., July 23, 2005
Yeater166 (Illinois,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
If you were a fan of the original Amityville Horror you ought to love this remake.Ryan Reynolds was very good in this thriller.This movie was full of jumps and suprises!!

SEE AMITYVILLE HORROR!!

GOOD MOVIE!!SCARIER and better than the original....

The Amityville Horror (Widescreen Special Edition)
$14.98 $6.32