4.0 out of 5 stars Fun gameplay and amazingly funny references
Amped 3 is the first snowboarding game to come out for the XBox 360. You get to fly through the snowy slopes in full wide screen high definition.

Published on March 2, 2006 by Lisa Shea

2.0 out of 5 stars snowboarding pwease
so 1st off let me express my love for the amped series. i have spent countless hours playing both amped 1 and 2. i recently got amped 3 at my local EB. going against my gut feeling of skipping this title. i do not regret it though.

Positive:

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun gameplay and amazingly funny references, March 2, 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

First, it's important to fully accept that this game is made very tongue in cheek. You get cut scenes with drawings almost exactly like Trogdor, you have sequences of 60s-style circles with good/evil George Harrisons urging you on. You get modern alt music mixed in with Blinded By the Light. Sometimes there are Wonder Woman style flashing lights. "The Dueling Serpents of Fangar!"

A lot of the references might go right by people who aren't both classic TV watchers and new website visitors. It's amazing how many subtle funny things are built into the dialogues and cut scenes.

But back to the game. You customize your character - male or female - with the typical array of skin color, body build, hair, facial hair, hat, clothing, board and so on. You have a GIANT mountain to explore that you can explore, do challenges on, follow the storyline on, and just have fun. If you get tired of tracking down cool places to board, you can always snowmobile all over to find a new hidden spot.

Like any game, the key here is to master the controls. Once you get the hang of the different moves, you'll be carving, spinning and sliding whereever you want to go. Dodge in the trees. Launch out over the rocks. The mountain is fully rendered and waits for you. The game is pretty forgiving for beginners, so they don't get frustrated, but also provides enough challenges that skilled boarders will find their ways to have fun.

The graphics in widescren high def are a mixed bag. On one hand, I love the groomed rippled snow and the trails you leave in it. It made me want to put aside the controller and drive up to the ski lifts. The funky stars and circles and other indicators are all true to style. The clouds and sunsets in the background are photo-realistic and lovely. However, the character models are a little plastic looking. Comapred to other games we're playing right now, they weren't up to standards.

It's important to note that the game is about fun - not about training you to be a professional snowboarder. If you slam into a tree, you don't get hauled off to the emergency room. You just bounce off and keep going. If you take a nose dive you just roll and get back up again. I don't really consider this a bad thing in a video game.

Well recommended for snow bunnies everywhere!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm way late, but very fun, January 31, 2014
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm a generation late to this game. With xbox one and ps4 out now. But anyways, I bought my son a 360 for his birthday. He's played skate1-3 on ps3 with me or by himself. So I said "why not try out a snowboarding game for something different" so Daddy as a gamer has seen games like shaun white come out and get negative reviews i did some digging and found Amped 3. It was either this, SSX, or STOKED. I hear Stoked is skate but snowboarding. So I pick up Amped 3 at Gamestop for roughly 3 bucks. My son and I played it for a good bit and had some fun with it. He came across a trailer for SSX on youtube and wanted to play that. So I returned this and got that. Well SSX had me "wowed" at first, it didn't take long before I said "where is the snowboarding/" it's pretty much races and for a 7 year old who was busting left and right and getting frustrated and myself as well. I decided to take SSX back and get this…again. I guess at first I was thinking yeah it's fun it's like Tony Hawk, and Skate more on the kiddy level which is what we were looking for. Since I re bought it, looking back on it vs SSX it's more about arcade style snowboarding than races and frustration. For the most part the controls are smooth, challenges can be difficult but not to the point where you don't want to play it. Best snowboarding game i've played in a long time. Plus you can ride a sled, snowmobile, build ramps, place objects. So I've been reading it's one of the best and I can say it myself. I will also like to try Stoked one day to see how more close and realistic it is to Skate for the snowboarding games.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have no idea what's goin on, January 19, 2006
Amazon Customer "rh" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Just got my Amped3 a few days ago and have only been playing a few hours. But man... It's about time someone really thought about what a video game is about.

no it's not about graphics, no it's not sound, and it certainly doesn't need to be about realism. It's about fun.

Yes, amped 3 seems a lot easier than Amped 2 and Amped 1. Yes your boarder has non-intuitive controls, yes the game feels like you're in some strange strange indie music, punk rock world, and yes it's a fricken riot.

It's been a long time since I played a video game and laughed heartily and often. In a world of Robot Chicken, CATS vs. Mr.T, Trogdoor the BURNINATOR and everyone's favorite owl ORLY?! Amped 3 fits right in. Yah it'll be very dated due to pop culture references and such, but it's hilarious!

Why 4 stars? Yah, graphics, sound, realism, physics and such have taken a bit of a back seat, I'd like the world to look at bit more realistic than Amped 2, it'd be nice if my boarder did the tricks the way i'm mushing them into my brand new 360 controller, and yah, when you run over someone with a snowmobile... there should be some carnage... but seriously folks, if you buy a video game to have fun and not to challenge your button mushing, thumbstick whirlin' skills, definitely pick up amped 3 and leave your hang-ups behind...

5.0 out of 5 stars This game plays like butter., January 12, 2014
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Its January 12th, 2014, and I just picked myself up a copy of Amped 3 from Gamestop. Right now it sits inside its case... right next to my Xbox One.

If we forget for a moment that the Xbox One is pretty devoid of any unique, top quality games at the moment being so close to launch, the fact that I chose to buy an Xbox 360 Launch day Single-Player only game despite my possession of "the next generation"... says a lot.

Amped 3 was absolutely next gen then, and its pretty next gen now. The mountain is just absolutely massive. Despite adventuring through Skyrim like I'm sure you all have, Amped's mountains still feel just as big and impressive to me as they did on launch day. Sure, the graphics don't compare to more recent games. But while its graphics might not hold up against time very well, the fun does. The artists and writers who created this game did a marvelous job of it. You can see how much heart and soul they put into generating a unique, one-of-a-kind game experience through the fun character design, intricate humor, and beautiful art you'll experience throughout playing.

The menus themselves are a site to behold. Forget drizzling blue and orange lens flare à la Battlefield. Instead, enjoy whimsical hand-drawn art with real personality, the likes of which I've doubt you've seen within a game before.

Amped 3 was, and still is, top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish, ridiculous, and fun. Don't trust the demo., January 23, 2013
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I was bored one day and decided to download the demo to this game. It was interesting enough for 5 bucks, so I bought it. Well, I probably would have paid at least 30 bucks if I knew how good this game was beforehand. In short, I was blown away.

Instantly the game starts off really weird, but it's hilarious. Almost every cutscene is different, and each one so far hasn't failed to make me laugh. You don't expect any amount of creativity and humor in a game like this. This game is definitely a one-of-a-kind.

I was worried after seeing the funny cutscenes that the gameplay would be as dull as it was in the demo. I was completely wrong. The controls are really simple and polished, the tricks are fun to pull off, and getting those ridiculous combos couldn't feel any better. The challenges themselves in the open mountains are quite varied and fun.

I'm not going to go too in depth with this game, but I can tell you that it is certainly worth the price that it is at now. I absolutely love this game and recommend it to any gamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Snowboarding Game, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
When I first put in the game, I was like, "Wow, this is gonna suck." I only thought that though because the story and the video clips are ridiculously corny. But once I started playing, I realized that the game itself is a ton of fun with cool challenges and good snowboarding mechanics. The music soundtracks are great. If you like the style of snowboarding in SSX then you should like this game. I've beat the game, but I still don't fully understand the story because I skipped most of the video clips. They were to corny to bear. To sum it up this game is a HIPPIE STYLE SNOWBOARDING GAME. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed playing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amped 3: Trippy, funny, and very good., December 11, 2005
C. Bakehorn (Bloomington, IN) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Amped 3 is my favorite video game that features unicorns, action figures being set on fire, Russians, and shiny kitty litter. There aren't any other games featuring enough of this stuff, I must say. But Amped 3 features more kitty litter than you'd ever believe, and it's got some great snowboarding gameplay to boot. Amped 3 is one of the better Xbox 360 launch lineups, and it's the only one that's going to have you laughing and scratching your head in confusion within the same gaming session.

I doubted Indie Built could pull off a great game here. Amped 2, which was generally considered too difficult and too technical, bombed on the sales charts and it came as a surprise to me that anyone wanted to pick up XSN's snowboarding franchise. Well, Indie Built did it, and they did one heck of a job making an enjoyable game. What makes Amped 3 so unique is, well, everything that isn't related to the fantastic gameplay itself. You wouldn't think too much of the game from looking at its bright green box art which features a snowboarder and the prominent, bold, and pink Amped 3 logo. Once you crack open that box and pop the game into your Xbox 360, you'll be thinking differently. Some of the stuff you'll see in this game is more bizarre than anything you'll ever see again. I mentioned unicorns and kitty litter earlier, but those are just two of the seemingly endless items of wonder that are tossed around in this trippy game. I'd like tell you more about the stereotypical anime cutscenes, the cut-and-paste art, or the sock puppets. But I can't. I can't tie any of these things to the Story Mode, and it would be a travesty for me to ruin any of the stuff in this game. It would ruin the "What the heck?" feeling that I was so happy to have while playing Amped 3.

The Story Mode is where most of your time will be spent. There are hundreds of challenges. Some are extremely generic to the genre--score points, go through checkpoints (which in this case are acid-influenced magic circles), or do a trick to impress a sponsor. These goals are the ones I didn't like, and they were the ones that I got really tired of when I was finishing up with the story mode. I especially hated the kitty litter challenges, because I hate picking up random, scattered, unimportant items in games like this. The ones I enjoyed kept me playing, though, especially the crash-your-sled one. The goal here is to launch your player off of his sled and physically harm him as much as possible. Needless to say, this is endlessly entertaining and constantly funny. It's even funnier when you're not riding on a sled, because sometimes you'll barrell downhill on a chair or a portable toilet or other objects. This is what I wanted to see from such a unique, artistic game--fun, creative modes. Sadly, the generic goals don't do the game any justice, but Amped 3 is a lot of fun to play and that's what allowed me to trudge through the ho-hum junk and reach the exciting stuff. Indie Built made Amped 3 easier to play (which is something XSN failed to do with Amped 2) and they did so by making the controls very similar to Neversoft's Tony Hawk series. All of the tricks are mapped to the controller's face buttons and grinds are made easier with an auto-snap system that aligns the player with rails. These two factors alone make playing Amped 3 simple and fun while the difficulty comes from the challenges themselves, not the controls. This alone makes the game much better than Amped 2.

While the art is fantastic and the presentation is impressive, the visuals of Amped 3 are its most disappointing factor. Launch titles are expected to show off the power of a new console, not show any kind of shortcomings. Amped 3 doesn't really impress me visually. If you told me this was an Xbox game and I didn't know what you were playing, I wouldn't think twice about it from looking at the graphics. It certainly doesn't look bad--little touches like powdery snow effects look really nice. It's just that this game's visual calibur is very low when it's compared to 360 beauties like Perfect Dark Zero, NBA 2K6, and Madden 06. The audio factor is quite different--there are hundreds of songs, dozens of artists, and hilarious voice acting to boot. If you're a fan of indie rock, electronica, and hip hop, you'll love the tunes found here. Since the original Amped, I've appreciated the fact that the series has featured so many low-key, unsigned bands.

The Xbox Live factor here is pretty disappointing. There isn't any online multiplayer at all, and the most interaction you'll have with other players is through the Leaderboards, which hold records for every single challenge found in the game. I thought it was fun to see how I sized up against other players but I would have loved to actually hit the slopes with someone else. Maybe they'll do it with Amped 4.

Mentioning Amped 4, I'd love to see Indie Built go for another round. Amped 3 is a fantastic game. It offers fun snowboarding gameplay, an art style that will blow your mind, and a story that will bust your gut in laughter. You don't have to sift through a lot of junk here--there are some annoying challenges, the graphics are ho-hum, and the lack of Xbox Live multiplayer is certainly a let-down. Other than that, I can't complain. Check this game out, it's great. If nothing else, you'll want to get that "What the heck?" feeling I mentioned before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good snowboarding, even better game, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I purchased Amped 3 after being disappointed by the last 2 snowboarding games I had played. I bought it used and figured for the price at least it would be something different. My expectations were not too high since Amped 3 is actually older than the previous 2 games I had bought, but I was in for a pleasant surprise. Amped 3 is by no means a snowboard simulator, it is a game and it makes you realize that from the very opening sequence, but the good news is it is a very fun game! The first thing I noticed is that even from the beginning there was an extensive amount of customization for your snowboarder and his gear. Real brands and gear are available from the beginning and as the game progresses you unlock alot more. The game is one of the most wacky/humorous you will ever play and continues to amuse from start to finish (ME GUSTA!!!.. those who played it will know what I mean :) The game play is fairly simplistic but is fast paced and has a ton of variety. Some challenges are about tricks, some are about maneuvering, and some are about collecting kitty litter...yup. It's not just snowboarding, no you get to drive a large variety of things including snowmobiles, hang gliders, sleds, and toilets to get around the parks. The graphics are basic but very colorful and the levels have a good deal of variety and always feel fun and full of snowboarders and skiers. My only complaint with the levels is that you can't use the lifts(ala Shaun White)I could go on and on, I know that Amped 3 may not be for the ultra hardcore snowboarder who is looking for the most realistic experience possible, but if that's what you want might as well just go boarding or at least get the Wii version of Shaun White with the balance board. Having said that this a great game regardless of whether you even like snowboarding or not.

Pros: Lots of customization for character, board, bindings, clothes etc..
Plenty of variety in the gameplay
Easy to learn controls
Humorous story and artwork
Colorful levels
Fun, fun, fun
Very cheap price especially when used

Cons: Controls not as fluid or realistic as Stoked/Skate
Graphics are somewhat outdated

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun, August 8, 2013
This review is from: Amped 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is a great game if you are into snowboard games. It is a lot of fun to play and even after beating the game twice and having it for 2+years I still throw it on from time to time to have a little fun. Highly recommend!

2.0 out of 5 stars snowboarding pwease, January 13, 2006
A Kid's Review
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

Positive:

funny story

intresting characters

create your own character

snowmobiling anywhere anytime on the mountain

sledding

different than anything else out there

Negative:

graphics are not great especially for a 60 dollars xbox 360 title

horrible horrible controls-wayyyyyyyyyy to floaty i feel like i have no real control over my character. you now automatically grind anytime your get near something you are able to grind. EVEN IF YOU DONT WANT TO. also it is very very hard to fall, land sideways and you automatically land and straigten out. you have to land upsidown to fall on your snowboard.

so im half and half with this game. in one aspect it is very cool to be able to go up and down the mountain at anytime. almost like GTA on a mountain resort. the story is funny and quirky and fresh. character customization is fun as always. yet the heart and soul of amped...ie the controlls took a huge step back in my book. it really does take the fun away when your character feels like they are on the moon. carving is almost uncontrollable. any precision is forgotten, i always have to constantely go left right left right just to line up a jump. and i just get the major sense that i am on a bike far to small for me with training wheels...and pink little tassle on my handle bars...and the gay little whistle...(analogy)

2k bring back the tighter controls we love!

if your used to the old games i would rent 1st. i honestly am a huge fan of snowboard games so im gonna stick it and beat the game. idk if ill trade it in eventually who knows. anyways its not a must buy 360 title but ya...

hopefully amped 4 will be better

360 must buys: Call Of Duty 2 stay aways from PDZ...DOA 4 and NFSMW are also very fun games

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Amped 3 - Xbox 360
Amped 3 - Xbox 360 by 2K Games (Xbox 360)
$48.94