5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range. Very happy with my RTA15
So I too have been waiting for this router after doing some research and I'm very happy to have finally received and installed it. Setup went smooth and the range is great. This router replaces an Asus router that I previously had that didn't reach the far rooms and yard in my house (3000 sq ft). After dropping the RTA15 in, I now have strong coverage throughout...
Published 16 months ago by cb3342

The manufacturer commented on the review below
The RTA15 wifi router from Amped failed to meet my expectations and leaves me very disappointed because of the wasted time and false advertising.

To be honest, I didn't know how much improvement to expect but I certainly did not expect to end up with the same or worse signal strength and robustness as the router I decided to replace (Lynksys E2500)...
Published 14 months ago by T. Coddington

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range. Very happy with my RTA15, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Router (RTA15) (Personal Computers)

I did have one hiccup after install where I wanted to change some settings with the security but a quick call to support solved it. Also one thing i overlooked... you have to make sure that the antennas are connected to the specific ports they are meant for. Each antenna is assigned to one antenna port. Tech said that if this wasn't done then performance / range might suffer. So make sure to double check your antennas...

The design of the unit is very good and the product is more sturdy than the pictures look. I like the smooth glass like cover of the router. Very good touch. You dont get that impression when you look at the pictures but the product looks better and feels better in person.

Overall very happy and highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Cost is high, so is performance and support, November 13, 2013
Pros,
I have a difficult house for Wi-Fi. Plaster walls, lots of metal heating ducts, masonry chimney, 3 floors. This unit, along with the matching Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Range Extender (REA20) definitely does the trick. Streams movies flawlessly (so far). Amped phone was quick and effective, wait time was 2-3 minutes and the instructions were excellent. This is a new unit and has only been operational for 5 days so I gave it 4 stars. If it is as stable and dependable for the next few weeks I would give it a 5 star rating.
I read a bunch of reviews about this unit and the matching router. A good many complained about the effectiveness and low quality support from Amped. My experience was all good.

Cons, Expensive but, well worth it

Update.................. All is well it deserves 5 stars. No problems, Not ONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars AmpedWireless RTA15 Wifi Router, September 2, 2013
I first purchased this Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Router (RTA15) from NewEgg.com. When the router arrived, It did not work at all. I could not get a signal 5 feet away. And the support tech I spoke to was really disappointing. He had me go through all sorts of hoops which did not work. He made excuses that this is a brand new model and may experience issues. He asked me to return it to Newegg and have them send me a new one. I had no confidence that the next one NewEgg sends me would work any better since it would probably be from the same batch that left the factory. He did not give me a feeling that this company knew what they were doing. I decided to return the router to NewEgg who were excellent. They issued the refund right away.

I contacted AmpedWireless to express my dissatisfaction with the product and company. I was contacted almost immediately by one of their Concierge Support Professionals whose name is Steve #109. Steve said and did everything that I would expect from a customer service and/or support professional. He told me to purchase the router through them and he would personally test it before it shipped. I got a much better feeling about the company and decided to give them another shot. As promised, steve thoroughly tested the new router, called me to let me know that everything worked fine and shipped it to me.

The new router came to me quickly. I plugged it in, configured it, and I have to say this unit works as advertised. I am extremely happy with the router, the support that Steve Concierge #109 gave me and have confidence in this company now.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Does not provide longer range or stable connection as advertised, September 11, 2013

The boundary in my home that represents a usable connection strength remained the same, but for some reason the connections would cut out and then reconnect from time to time. This was something I found complaints about on the web after I did further research to try and solve the problem.

I looked for and downloaded what I thought was the latest firmware and update the RTA15. But it appears that I loaded the same version already installed. The website had no version info but did have a date. Apparently the date was the upload date and not the firmware date. It's only found on the router configuraiton page. I emailed Amped tech support but have not received a reply.

I'm a computer professional and I hate returning products because of the hassle and because it reflects on my ability to research and buy good products. Fortunately, I bought it through Amazon and they have been helpful.

In conclusion, I don't know where the 700mW power is going but it doesn't seem to go any further than the other 50-100mW routers available.

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 3:28:34 PM PDT
T. Coddington,
We apologize for the inconvenience and issues you experienced with the RTA15 unit. By your description of the problem, and the troubleshooting you performed, it is clear that the unit is not performing correctly as it should give you more coverage than what you have described. We apologize also if you did not get a response to your email. We strive to give the best U.S. based tech support and will address that issue internally. If you still have not gotten your unit replaced through Amazon, please call our 888-573-8830 line so that we can put you in contact with a supervisor and get your issue resolved.

Amped Wireless Tech Support

5.0 out of 5 stars great range, July 26, 2013
Decided on this router after a vodka tonic was spilled on my old linksys router and i am very glad i did. i use apple tv a lot to stream music and previously it would always skip depending on where i was in the apartment or what orientation my iphone was in. we have thick concrete walls in nyc but the RTA15 has at least put an end tho that, with range extending much beyond my apartment which was previously never possible. the mobile app is also a nice tool that i never had with the linksys.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars I do not recommend that you purchase this router or AmpedWireless products, November 10, 2014
While this router from AmpedWireless had all the promise of fast performance, it lacks the reliability needed for ANY home router.

After purchasing the RTA15 wireless AC router last year, I started having problem with the router locking up and all network traffic would stop -- wired, wireless... DEAD.

The first time or two I chalked it up to maybe changing settings on the router and went through what would soon become a nearly daily ritual of unplugging the router from the electrical outlet and plugging it back in again -- just to get it working again.

After the first week, I began calling AmpedWireless' Technical Support personal and talked them through the problems. They stated how the router was still new and no firmware updates had been released yet, but were not hearing of this complaint from other early adopters.

I then continued calling, begging for beta firmware updates, resetting the firmware to factory defaults, re-flashing the same firmware back onto the router over and over again.

None of these things worked. I sent the router back to be repaired/replaced -- surely this would resolve the problem of the router locking up! I didn't.

And then, since I purchased this router directly from AmpedWireless I asked for a refund and they told me that I was out of the 30 day return period and there was nothing they could do for me any longer. I pointed out to them that I had at this point 20 or more calls into support, email correspondence too -- nope, can't help you.

Well, it's a year later and because the RTA15 or it's replacement RTA15 router would never work for more than 3 days in a row before locking up I had to replace the nearly $200 router with another one -- one from a reliable and responsible company.

I purchased a "cheap" non-AC 1GB router from Netgear and never looked back. I have since saved up enough money to again purchase a new AC Router and upgraded to the Netgear R7000 and it rocks!

A year later and countless others have reported the same locking up/freezing issues and, like myself, have not been given a solution or fix.

In fact, AmpedWireless to this day 11-10-14 - 18 months since the RTA15 was released has not posted one updated firmware, no fixes, no updated feature list, no security updates --- NOTHING.

Before writing this negative review I contacted AmpedWireless again and they still have no updates, know of no upcoming updates, have no list for beta testers and still won't give me a refund.

At this point, nothing would give me more satisfaction than to steer potential customers away from a company with not only bad business practices and poor customer service but a company that doesn't take ownership for designing a flawed product.

There are alternatives, MANY ALTERNATIVES for 1GB wireless AC routers -- do yourself a favor and look elsewhere before you too get the short end of the stick from AmpedWireless.

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 11:56:05 AM PST
Hello John Freiman,

We sincerely apologize for the experience and inconvenience you had with our product. There has not been any need to update the firmware. If you have any questions or concerns please call our Tech Support Line 888-573-8820 in order for one of our technicians to assist you.

Amped Wireless Elite Support
888-573-8820

4.0 out of 5 stars Great WiFi Speeds. Awesome Router. Meh Access Point., November 20, 2013
The setup is extremely simple and the WiFi AC is an absolute dream. The only device I own that is AC capable is my Nexus 5 but I have to say there is a sense of satisfaction when I go to update it and everything downloads in a fraction of a second.

Pros:
- Easy setup
- WiFi AC
- Great UI
- Awesome range
- Great connection speeds
- USB port/FTP is really easy to set up if you need that kind of feature. I just hook a pocket sized external to it so my home network has a bit of Always On network storage available on it.

Cons:
- If you set it up as an access point with a static IP (and don't have it run on its own subnet) you lose an Ethernet port. This is because when you assign it as static IP/gateway, the only way to make it work with your other DHCP router is to connect it via one of its LAN ports (all of this is from the Amped forums) (you can't use the WAN/Modem port...think of it like a 4 port switch now). I'm hoping with the next firmware update they'll allow you to set the WAN port as part of the switch like DD-WRT does so I don't need to chain on another switch.

1.0 out of 5 stars No better than old Linksys N router, November 1, 2014
ToolDieGuy (South Central PA) - See all my reviews
Save your money! Bought this because they advertise "high power","long range", "10 amplifiers", "high gain antennas", "for a large house" (I have a not large 1900sf house). Set up easy but doesn't work any better than my old linksys N router as far as range. The AC is very short range, doesn't work past the room the router is in. So it ends up being a very expensive N router.
And to preempt the Response from Amped; I did call "elite" support, figured no way it can't even be as good as a 3-4 year old cheap router, i must have some settings wrong. Very disappointed, tech didn't / wouldn't go over setting with me, said if its working settings are right, no firmware updates since original build. He was not surprised it didn't have a better range than old Linksys, said it is max FCC allows and old router is probley the same. Funny thats not how its advertised. Very misleading!
Sent it back! Amazon returns gets five stars.

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 4:08:23 PM PST
Hello ToolDieGuy,

We apologize about the issues you are experiencing. The range claims on the box/website are based on our performance test results and are used more as a reference and not a guarantee.There are many factors that negatively affect wireless performance, such as your environment, interference, network conditions and wireless obstructions. If you have any questions or concerns about the device, please call our Tech Support Line 888-573-8820 in order for one of our technicians to assist you.

Amped Wireless Elite Support

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, April 2, 2014
We have used the RTA 15 in a small office environment and are extremely disappointed with its performance. The router is centrally located with all devices less than 50 ft of range. It is solely used as an AP and does not connect to WAN.
We had it running on dual 5g and 2.4g mode for about a year, but this appeared to create issues, even with WLAN partitioning on. Chromecast never connected with or without partitioning. Ultimately for sanity sake, we turned off 5g/802.11ac and worked on 802.11g alone (since we have older devices that will not use 802.11n). Nowadays (about 8 months since we bought it) the AP shows full strength on Vistumbler etc, but refuses to connect to clients (iPhones, Ipads, windows). It needs at least one hard reset a day to come back and behave. We did not pay a high price for wifi instability and an unreliable device. Time to pay a few hundred more and deploy an Aironet.

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 1:11:36 PM PDT
knpnj,
We apologize for the trouble and inconvenience the RTA15 unit has caused you. Looking at the issues you have described, it seems that the unit has some issues. That unit should be able to provide you with better coverage, but keep in mind that the 802.11G standard has limitations compared to N and AC so you will not see that advantage. The unit should though allow all WIFI connections unless the filtering feature has been enabled and configured. Please call our tech support line at 888-573-8820 so that a technician can assist you in getting the unit working properly.

Amped Wireless Tech Support

1.0 out of 5 stars do not recommend, November 6, 2014
i ordered this router because it claimed to have stronger signal and better coverage than the one we already had in place. it has neither. i have had nothing but trouble with this router and have to lay out additional money for yet another router to replace it. trying to figure out why my internet was not working the way it had involved a session with time warner, 6 hours on the phone with apple care on two separate days and two professionals coming to the house to figure out the problem by the rocess of elimination. we finally solved the mystery...it was the router. all this investigating took time and now the 30 day return window has closed and i am stuck with this expensive and ineffective router. the new one works perfectly and i certainly wish i had known more sooner.

Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Router (RTA15)
$199.99 $167.67