5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range. Very happy with my RTA15
So I too have been waiting for this router after doing some research and I'm very happy to have finally received and installed it. Setup went smooth and the range is great. This router replaces an Asus router that I previously had that didn't reach the far rooms and yard in my house (3000 sq ft). After dropping the RTA15 in, I now have strong coverage throughout...
Published 12 months ago by cb3342

The manufacturer commented on the review below
The RTA15 wifi router from Amped failed to meet my expectations and leaves me very disappointed because of the wasted time and false advertising.

To be honest, I didn't know how much improvement to expect but I certainly did not expect to end up with the same or worse signal strength and robustness as the router I decided to replace (Lynksys E2500)...
Published 10 months ago by T. Coddington

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range. Very happy with my RTA15, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Router (RTA15) (Personal Computers)

I did have one hiccup after install where I wanted to change some settings with the security but a quick call to support solved it. Also one thing i overlooked... you have to make sure that the antennas are connected to the specific ports they are meant for. Each antenna is assigned to one antenna port. Tech said that if this wasn't done then performance / range might suffer. So make sure to double check your antennas...

The design of the unit is very good and the product is more sturdy than the pictures look. I like the smooth glass like cover of the router. Very good touch. You dont get that impression when you look at the pictures but the product looks better and feels better in person.

Overall very happy and highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars great range, July 26, 2013
Decided on this router after a vodka tonic was spilled on my old linksys router and i am very glad i did. i use apple tv a lot to stream music and previously it would always skip depending on where i was in the apartment or what orientation my iphone was in. we have thick concrete walls in nyc but the RTA15 has at least put an end tho that, with range extending much beyond my apartment which was previously never possible. the mobile app is also a nice tool that i never had with the linksys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great WiFi Speeds. Awesome Router. Meh Access Point., November 20, 2013
The setup is extremely simple and the WiFi AC is an absolute dream. The only device I own that is AC capable is my Nexus 5 but I have to say there is a sense of satisfaction when I go to update it and everything downloads in a fraction of a second.

Pros:
- Easy setup
- WiFi AC
- Great UI
- Awesome range
- Great connection speeds
- USB port/FTP is really easy to set up if you need that kind of feature. I just hook a pocket sized external to it so my home network has a bit of Always On network storage available on it.

Cons:
- If you set it up as an access point with a static IP (and don't have it run on its own subnet) you lose an Ethernet port. This is because when you assign it as static IP/gateway, the only way to make it work with your other DHCP router is to connect it via one of its LAN ports (all of this is from the Amped forums) (you can't use the WAN/Modem port...think of it like a 4 port switch now). I'm hoping with the next firmware update they'll allow you to set the WAN port as part of the switch like DD-WRT does so I don't need to chain on another switch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cost is high, so is performance and support, November 13, 2013
Pros,
I have a difficult house for Wi-Fi. Plaster walls, lots of metal heating ducts, masonry chimney, 3 floors. This unit, along with the matching Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Range Extender (REA20) definitely does the trick. Streams movies flawlessly (so far). Amped phone was quick and effective, wait time was 2-3 minutes and the instructions were excellent. This is a new unit and has only been operational for 5 days so I gave it 4 stars. If it is as stable and dependable for the next few weeks I would give it a 5 star rating.
I read a bunch of reviews about this unit and the matching router. A good many complained about the effectiveness and low quality support from Amped. My experience was all good.

Cons, Expensive but, well worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars AmpedWireless RTA15 Wifi Router, September 2, 2013
I first purchased this Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Router (RTA15) from NewEgg.com. When the router arrived, It did not work at all. I could not get a signal 5 feet away. And the support tech I spoke to was really disappointing. He had me go through all sorts of hoops which did not work. He made excuses that this is a brand new model and may experience issues. He asked me to return it to Newegg and have them send me a new one. I had no confidence that the next one NewEgg sends me would work any better since it would probably be from the same batch that left the factory. He did not give me a feeling that this company knew what they were doing. I decided to return the router to NewEgg who were excellent. They issued the refund right away.

I contacted AmpedWireless to express my dissatisfaction with the product and company. I was contacted almost immediately by one of their Concierge Support Professionals whose name is Steve #109. Steve said and did everything that I would expect from a customer service and/or support professional. He told me to purchase the router through them and he would personally test it before it shipped. I got a much better feeling about the company and decided to give them another shot. As promised, steve thoroughly tested the new router, called me to let me know that everything worked fine and shipped it to me.

The new router came to me quickly. I plugged it in, configured it, and I have to say this unit works as advertised. I am extremely happy with the router, the support that Steve Concierge #109 gave me and have confidence in this company now.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Does not provide longer range or stable connection as advertised, September 11, 2013

The boundary in my home that represents a usable connection strength remained the same, but for some reason the connections would cut out and then reconnect from time to time. This was something I found complaints about on the web after I did further research to try and solve the problem.

I looked for and downloaded what I thought was the latest firmware and update the RTA15. But it appears that I loaded the same version already installed. The website had no version info but did have a date. Apparently the date was the upload date and not the firmware date. It's only found on the router configuraiton page. I emailed Amped tech support but have not received a reply.

I'm a computer professional and I hate returning products because of the hassle and because it reflects on my ability to research and buy good products. Fortunately, I bought it through Amazon and they have been helpful.

In conclusion, I don't know where the 700mW power is going but it doesn't seem to go any further than the other 50-100mW routers available.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 12, 2013 3:28:34 PM PDT
T. Coddington,
We apologize for the inconvenience and issues you experienced with the RTA15 unit. By your description of the problem, and the troubleshooting you performed, it is clear that the unit is not performing correctly as it should give you more coverage than what you have described. We apologize also if you did not get a response to your email. We strive to give the best U.S. based tech support and will address that issue internally. If you still have not gotten your unit replaced through Amazon, please call our 888-573-8830 line so that we can put you in contact with a supervisor and get your issue resolved.

Amped Wireless Tech Support
888-573-8820

5.0 out of 5 stars Good range, no problems., November 7, 2013
BlackHawk (Kelseyville, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm getting quite good range out of this unit, no problems with functionality, no failures, compared to the basic Linksys router this was sitting next to the range is dramatically further. We have a large property and I often see signal at some pretty long distances. I'd suggest giving it a try if you need better range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amped Wireless Elite Support exceeded my expectations, August 4, 2013
I purchased an Amped RTA15 Wireless Router. So far it is working flawlessly. The range is 3x greater than our old router.
Initially I had difficulty setting it up. I contacted Ryan at Amped Wireless Elite Support. Through his troubleshooting, we found that the LAN lines throughout our home are CAT4 but needed to be CAT5 to be compatible with the router. He figured out a work-around and had the router up and running within a short period of time.
Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Router (RTA15)

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Amped!, July 20, 2014
Old dlink router bit the dust, so I set off on a mission to replace it, after some long I came up with the ASUS RT-AC56U or the Amped rta15. I chose wrong and got the Asus at microcenter, I had it a day for it to sort itself out, it just got worse, so I hauled it back. Never got more than 2mps on speed test.net at desired location. So I got the rta15 in exchange. Right out of the box, it setup in half the time, and immediately it tested at 21mps, no hiccups, no waiting for Asus radar to hopelessly determine a need to"beam form" that area for demand, it just works. I highly recommend this for video streaming across a house.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, August 6, 2013
Looked to replace my Wnd3700 with this to support 802.11ac and better N performance. I have correct antenna placement but Ipads and Iphone 4s cannot connect with enough bars at 30ft. Wireless N performance slightly better but not worth the cost. Elite Tech support recommends going to a lesser encryption level (WEP) for ipads and iphones. Last I checked, OSX devices supported WPA just fine everywhere else. WEP is hackable. Google it to see. Cannot believe ELITE recommends it.

Forum requires all posts be moderated before showing up. Wonder where all the posts about the RTA15 are? I cannot imagine there are only 5 people who bought these. As a DCHP server router is unable to set a DNS entry to send to clients. It sends itself as the DNS server. As a DNS server it works poorly. Also ping times are all over the place. Wired throughput is okay if you statically set the DNS on your machines.

Device is only manageable with HTTP not HTTPS. No way to set it otherwise.

For what its worth, I am a network engineer with 15 years in Wireless, routing and switching. Hopefully there's a firmware patch coming. For now, back to my Wnd3700

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 7, 2013 1:00:00 PM PDT
John,

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with your router. I apologize if you were mislead on the optimal encryption setup. For some OS X and iOs devices WPA2 is a better option then the WPA mixed mode (default encryption type). If it is not too late please send your contact info to techsupport@ampedwireless.com and we will have a top tier concierge contact you to assist you with your setup.

Amped Wireless High Power 700mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi Router (RTA15)
$199.99 $154.99