5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router, very powerful with many control options
This is an excellent router. It is very powerful, with dual-band signal and wide area coverage.

Published 21 months ago by Chris E

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing interface -- be sure to update your firmware
Published 8 months ago by David Francis

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router, very powerful with many control options, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Dual Band Router (R20000G) (Personal Computers)

I am a Network Administrator and work with network equipment daily. After working with this unit out of the box, I can understand why so many reviewers indicate that they had to call for support. Initialy I had difficulty accessing the setup menu. I had to restart the router 3 times before I could connect to the setup menu for the first time. Here is what I suggest if you have a cable modem with DHCP (which means the IP address is assigned automatically by your cable modem which does not require any authentication/login): (1) Power up the router and connect one of the network cables between your computer and one of the LAN ports (make sure you are not connected to any other network, wired or wirelessly), then wait about 3 minutes. Do not connect your router to your internet connection yet (2) The router will automatically assign your computer an IP address in the 192.168.3.x range (3) open a web browser window and navigate to 192.168.3.1 (4) If you are not prompted for credentials, close the browser window and restart the router, then wait about 3 minutes (5) go back to step 3. It took me four restarts before I could access the setup menu, but I did eventually get in. (6) Next, immediately update the firmware to the latest version (follow instrx in User Guide and WAIT for the countdown to complete on the update window). Again, after updating the firmware, it took me a few restarts before I got back into the setup menu. (7) Once you get back in, configure security and DHCP the way you want. (8) Then after all this is complete, remove the old router and place this router in-line (connect to your internet connection/cable modem).

Following this process everything came up exactly as I had configured it. You can follow the instrx provided, but it appears the instrx provided by the manufacturer don't work very well.

This router has a very powerful signal, allowing me to connect to my wireless net across the entire property.

Easy to use, easy to configure and powerful signal. All the properties of a wireless router I was looking for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Experiance, June 1, 2012
I got this router and like the other comments I was a little disappointed with range. I was just kind of dealing with it, it was still better then my netgear dual band router, but it didn't give me the coverage i was expecting. Amped Tech support contacted me and said they have addressed the issue with firmware upgrade. After the upgrade the range was much better! I couldn't believe that they proactively made the changes the customers were complianing about (I emailed tech support) and then contacted me with the update. The total experience was awesome. This is a great company and thanks for a great product with great support

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore Coverage: The Amped Wireless R20000G review, March 11, 2013
Amped Wireless R20000G review

Intro: The R20000G was extremely easy to setup. 3 steps and in 2 minutes and I was online. It took another minute to configure my WiFi preferences and another for the router to reboot to complete that. All done in 5 minutes. The setup wizard is very well written and detailed.

Wireless performance: I got very good performance throughout my odd mixed construction house. My house was built and renovated through the 1910s the 1970s and a few years ago and it's always a construction zone with materials ranging from thick plaster to drywall for the walls, lots of metal used in the dropped ceilings with fluorescent lights, thick staircasing, thick floors in some areas, and I got big metal doors. I get solid 5 bars within the confines of the house (1800sq ft) and 4-5 bars 34dBm @ 100% on my back porch and at the mailbox across the street I get 4 bars. I can even walk 100 some feet down the road and still stream videos in HD! I can walk around 200 some feet away and play SD videos. Reading for that: 225ft down the road from the R20000G about 3-4 houses down -67dBm @ 86%
Please note: These readings were taken with the Amped Wifi analytics tool from Google Play.

Xbox Live Performance: No disconnections! They played Dead Space 3 for 4 whole days. Also on Black Ops 2: Zombies the performance was excellent... maintained full green bars through hours of play! Both Xboxes were wireless.

USB Performance: Transfer rates were around 3.5-4.5MBps within the LAN and the same over the WAN.

Streaming laptop 1 (Atheros wireless G)
Was able to stream HD videos 125 ft away and SD videos 215ft away. Very impressed.
Streaming laptop 2 (Realtek wireless N)
Was able to stream HD 1080p videos 175-180 ft away and HD 720p videos 214ft away and SD videos 325ft away. Very impressed.

Pros:
* Hardcore coverage!
* Easy setup
* Lots of features
* Dual band
* Guest networks
* Local and Internet USB sharing
* Good QoS options
* Very good firewall
* VLANs
* Static DHCP
* Ships with UPNP and WPS disabled (a good thing to have good security)
* DDNS

Cons:
* Somewhat slow USB transfer speed in comparison to direct USB connection
* No print server

Overall rating 9.5/10

Recommended: Yes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product with Superior Technical Support, October 7, 2012
I bought this wireless router because my old one wasn't working well in my new house. The installation instructions were straightforward, but I did hit a snag and ended up calling Amped Wireless Elite Support, which (thankfully!) is based in the United States. After waiting about 5-10 minutes, I had the great pleasure of speaking with Chelsa (Concierge #120). Chelsa was not only very knowledgeable, but really seemed to love her job and care about me as a customer. She asked great questions to learn more about how I was using the product, and walked me through a simple firmware upgrade. At no point in our conversation did I feel the annoyance typically associated with "scripted" customer support. By the end of the call my issues were resolved, the router was working perfectly, and I was left with the sense I'd experienced a rare gift of humanity in a cold world of commerce.

As far as the router itself goes, I've had great reception so far, and the dual-band feature has been awesome. The form factor of this router is sleek and understated, but doesn't seem to sacrifice utility for pure aesthetics. It has a matte finish too, which is a welcome relief from the high-gloss treatment so many gizmos have seemed to get over the last several years. For me, this router (and the support that comes with it) has been well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service, October 30, 2012
I have owned this router for about 6 months. I needed a wider range for my signal. I needed some help setting things up and trying to improve the signal. The customer service team was very responsive. Several months later, I needed help with port forwarding and customer service first made sure I had to current firmware update and helped me set up the port forwarding. Thanks Amped Wireless...not only is a good product important but a responsive, helpful customer service makes it even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service!, November 6, 2012
I had a setup issue with my Amped Wireless router and I called for support. I spoke to Carl - Concierge #117 Amped Wireless Elite Support. Carl was a native english speaking support person located on the west coast. (Imagine my surpise!) He clearly understood my issue, calmly walked me through troubleshooting without insulting my intelligence or reading from an annoying canned script and fixed my issue within 5 minutes. I am telling everyone I know to do business with this company simply because of my experience with Carl. More American companies should make the investment in support professionals like Carl and understand how important it is to their bottom (and top) line. Thank you, Carl, for resolving my issue and restoring my faith in American technology companies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., March 19, 2013
Daniel Hillis (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) - See all my reviews
I researched this router quite thoroughly. My main concern was LAN/WAN throughput (mostly WAN to LAN). The other important factor for me was range.

This router is fast! I pay for the fastest internet service from Cox and now I can actually use it. Interestingly enough, my old router was also listed on the website, but was one of the poorest performers when it came to throughput. That's what lead me to research routers.

The range is great. No problems there.

I also have not had to reboot it like I have had to do with my other linksys (aka linksys by Cisco) branded routers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, June 24, 2012
I bought this to cover a 2500 sq/ft home, plus poolside and a shop out back.
This unit covers everything. My previous router only covered the house- wouldn't reach far outside and not to the shop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing interface -- be sure to update your firmware, December 16, 2013
David Francis (BLACKLICK, OH, US) - See all my reviews
The interface was a bit confusing, and it seemed like when you made almost any change the router would need to be rebooted (which was a 6 minute process). Older firmware revisions yielded spotty/terrible wireless speeds but were later fixed in newer firmware revisions. Step one should be to update the firmware on this device to make sure you're covered against most of the bugs.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Poor signal strength, December 10, 2013
My old router ( linksys WRT54G) has better signal strength, I dont know if my Amped is defective or not but im using my old router.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 11, 2013 11:31:25 AM PST
Alain Jaramillo,
We are sorry if the unit is not working properly. That unit is capable of transmitting a signal on a radius of 50-70 feet depending on the environment it is being used in. Of course results will vary depending on obstructions and interference. If you feel the unit is not performing correctly please call our tech support center at 888-573-8820 so that a technician can troubleshoot your device and get it working properly.

Amped Wireless Tech Support