1,258 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Repeater with good range and speed
Published on July 29, 2011 by Chad

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Great product -- BUT -- be sure you don't use an SMC router
Published on May 23, 2012 by PennyCollector

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Repeater with good range and speed, July 29, 2011
This review is from: Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N Smart Repeater and Range Extender (SR300) (Personal Computers)
I have a large house with dead spots and I've spent hours doing research online and trying out all the top repeaters i could find. From the HAWKING Repeater (HWREN1), to the NETGEAR (3000 something) and most recently the LINKSYS (RE1000) and ended up returning all three of them (reliability issues - had to reboot the Hawking and Netgear ones constantly and setup/support was horrible). The Linksys one was easier to setup but did not give me the range i needed and i also couldn't tell what network i was connected to. The range wasn't good so i wasn't sure if i was still connected to the repeater or my home router. Either way all three went back. Btw I also talked to the support departments of a few of these companies and it was very hard to understand the techs and they kept on telling me it was my router that was the problem. Absolutely no help and very frustrating!

Finally I tried this Amped repeater and i wish i did so from the start. The set up is far easier than all of those and has MUCH MUCH more range. The fact that it has two external antennas, which the Amped techs told me i could detach and upgrade if i wanted, already gave me the feeling it would do better from the start. As far as setup goes, I just ran through the setup wizard in less than 5 minutes was up and running. Speedtest speeds went from 2mbps to 15mbps and i have coverage throughout my ENTIRE house. love it when a product works as advertised (especially a computer product)

Last thing i want to mention is their support department. Its very refreshing to be able to speak to techs that know their product and also work in america. The tech i talked to (i think his name is Tony) was very helpful and very well versed) He explained how amplifiers work and antennas etc... which is why the range was better on the Amped units. Thank you Amped!

4.0 out of 5 stars Significant drop in speed, needs to be setup correctly, October 9, 2011
The speed and range of this repeater is excellent but it takes a lot of time to set it up on some routers. I have a Linksys WRT160N router and the initial setup was easy. However I sensed a big drop in speed after the fast setup. All my experiences are with an 11n client.

Here is how I found the problem:

I put the repeater right next to the router and start to measure the internet speed from both. From router I was getting constant 20 Mbps but from the repeater the speed was around 5 Mbps. The speed was also fluctuating from 1 to 5 Mbps all the time. The interesting part was that if I go 100 m far away from the repeater I get the same speed. This tells me that the range on the repeater is excellent but there is something wrong with the communication between the router and repeater.

Here is what I learned from customer service:

The first thing I did was that I called the customer service. They told me that the channel number and the radio band should be exactly the same in the router and the repeater. They told me that sometimes the radio band on your router is 40 MHz but it is 20 MHz in your repeater and that is why you are loosing half of the speed. Initially I had the channel number and the radio band on "Auto" in my router. This will cause the repeater to set the channel on a specific number and when the router changes the channel automatically the repeater would loose the speed. So I started to fix the channel number in my router to a specific number and fixed the radio band to 40 MHz (because theoretically it gives you higher speed). I did the same thing in the repeater and fixed the numbers to the same exact ones from router. THIS DID NOT IMPROVE THE SPEED. I was getting the same speed from the repeater no matter what channel number I choose.

Here is how I fixed it:

It turns out that although radio band of 40 MHz can theoretically give you higher speed it has lots of issues if it is used in 2.4 GHz frequency. This is because the standards 11b/g is operating in the same exact frequency with 20 MHz of bandwidth. This can cause interference with neighboring routers and hence drops the speed. My other guess is that this repeater can not communicate properly with some routers including Linksys WRT160N with a 40 MHz radio band. So I just simply switched the radio band to 20 MHz in both repeater and router and magically speed was skyrocketing. Before I was getting 5 Mbps and now I am getting 18 Mbps while my router gives me 20 Mbps. This is fantastic.

My recommendation is to first test the speed of your network and make sure that your fast setup did a good job. If not, you need to first check 20 MHz and 40 MHz bands and see the difference. most likely this will fix the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic customer service!, July 11, 2011
I was able to connect the repeater without help to my laptop, but had difficulties with the other laptops in my house. I called the service number and was connected with someone right away. I never even waited on hold. Then, my son was having difficulties connecting to his Ipod, so I changed the password several times with no luck. We also couldn't get the PS3 to connect to the repeater, though it could see it as a network. We don't have cable, so I was looking to stream NetFlix. In trying several things to no avail, I ended up messing up the connection on my laptop. So on Sunday evening, I called the service number. No one there, but I was able to leave a message. I did that and someone returned my call Monday at 11 a.m. He walked me through resetting everything up including the PS3. Everything works great and I am so happy! After dealing with an unnamed accounting program customer service last week, this tech support was an amazing experience, and I didn't have to pay $150 a year for it! LOL

My internet service is with FiOs and I only had 8-15% signal in my living room. Now I have 65-85%. No more dead zones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite what I expected, July 19, 2011
I had the satellite TV guy out to add some stuff to our account. They said I needed to have a router, but it turns out I really needed one next to where the satellite came into the house. I moved our router and then had no or poor reception in the part of the house I wanted it, so I bought this.

It installed quickly and with very little work from me. However, I expected it would be able to boost the existing signal and rebroadcast it under the same name. Instead it needs it's own name. So, now I have network 1 and network 2. The problem with this is that I use the network for iPads and cell phones. When I attach to 1 but move to the other side of the house I get a very poor signal, but there us still a signal so it does not automatically change to 2.

This is obviously not a problem with the product, but with my understanding of how it would work. It works great, but is not the solution for me. I will keep it in one end of the house and buy something else to boost the signal from 1 so I can use it everywhere with my mobile devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best wifi extenter, July 16, 2011
I was looking for a wifi extender, which should work as "plug-and-play" without changing my existing network setting.

I bought ASUS RT-N12 with the intention to use as wifi extenter. I returned ASUS after about 20+ attempts to make it work. It's never worked.

Then I bought Amped Wireless 300N. It is a pleasant supprise:
Very clear instruction. Installed in 3 minutes. It detected my network instantly. Boot up signal from 2 bars to 5 bars from the far end of my house consistently. After installed, Amped broadcast wifi signal as if you have a second source of signal. So you have options to select to connect to your original wifi source or to Amped wifi source.

Highly recommended.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Great product -- BUT -- be sure you don't use an SMC router, May 23, 2012
Great product. Easy set up. Worked just as advertised until I tried connecting to the internet with my laptop computer. Signal strength was awesome but no internet. Called 800 number support and explained the situation. After telling them the brand of modem/combined/router I have, support agent said that this Amped Wireless products do NOT work with SMC products. He gave me some history and I guess they used to work, but recently, with an update to SMC firmware, there is an incompatibility issue now between Amped Wireless products and SMC products.

According to the Amped Wireless support agent, If you have an SMC modem/router product your options are the following:

1) Ask your internet service provider to switch out your current SMC modem/router with any other brand. The problem only exists for SMC products.

2) Contact Amazon.com and ask for a refund due to "incompatibility issues" with the product.

When asked if there was anyway of me being able to find out that this was going to be a problem BEFORE I bought the Amped Wireless product on Amazon.com, the Amped Wireless support agent said no. Amped Wireless has not made public this "incompatibility issue" on their website or on any other public forum. That's why I'm writing this product review.

I hate that I've had to waste a few hours of my time investigating and ultimately finding out that I never had any chance of this Amped Wireless product working for my situation. I've gone ahead and asked my internet service provider to "switch out" my SMC modem/router with another brand. Now, I get to spend two more hours this Saturday waiting for a Time Warner Cable repair person to come to my house and replace an otherwise perfectly good piece of equipment.

All in all, about 4-5 hours of needless time spent on this issue. I'll be happy to change my rating from 1 star when I get the new modem/router and test it out. Until then, it still sticks to be me.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 11:00:26 AM PDT
Our repeaters, and repeaters in general, are universal. They work on the bottom level of the networking model and just repeat signal that is created by your router. The specific piece of hardware, the Comcast provided router modem/router combo you mentioned above, has trouble repeating ANY BRAND of repeater. The modem portion of the modem/router will not forward network traffic originating from an extended network, such as the network our device creates. This issue has started with a mandatory firmware update through Comcast in the middle of last year. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused you, but this is in no way limited to our repeaters.

Amped Wireless Staff

3.0 out of 5 stars Get Past The Initial Quirk To Get This Going, July 16, 2011
Ed (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a pretty good "extender" if you can get past its quirks. If you've setup networks before, you may actually be thrown into a loop and think this is trash (came close), hence my 3 star rating.

What follows is my experience which hopefully saves you time:

1) Firmware update: do this, don't ask, just do. Don't spend too much time initially setting this unit up. Just get to the point where you can connect to it successfully (admin via ethernet), then update the firmware.

2) The overall idea it seems is to reboot the "critical" settings, which to me were:
- IP settings
- Wireless settings

## if you change anything in these tabs, you'll likely need to save and reboot the settings in the "other" section as well.

3) IP Settings: If you have a a "different network" than what this unit is configured with by default, then you'll need to tweak this section. Why? If you need to print on that network/shared printer, have other shared resources, you'll need to be on the same network (as your original).

3.a) The *only* setting that seems to work is AUTO. The others may seem to work while you're tethered via ethernet, but I've never gotten it to work in any other setting wirelessly. I just stopped fighting it....(thinking oh I want this to be a client, or perhaps a dhcp server..etc., forget it, stick to AUTO to save your sanity).

3.b) The issue it seems is DNS. And this is where you networking folk may throw a fit.

- So you get your extended units working (connected) to the SR300, and you think, well, that was easy...

- Sadly while your extended PCs seem to have no difficulty connecting to the SR300, none of them will be able to access the internet. If you inspect deeper (say ipconfig or nslookup on windows), you will not be able to resolve any address - DNS issue.

- so you think, oh, well, maybe I forgot to set the DNS in the IP section...well, there isn't any.

It "should" be forwarding the dns lookup to your router (in the original network), but this doesn't seem to work seamlessly....This is where my save/reboot (even if you don't change anything) comes in handy.

# # #

You may have a much better experience if

a. you don't care what IP space the extender provides (you have no shared resources) which makes it a "plug and play" experience for you...

b. your original IP space matches the default set by the mfg for this unit (which means you can share resources without much fuss). For most of you, this maybe true, and will likely also be a "plug and play" experience...

If you need to tweak things, well, once you get past the above (you may need 2 or 3 save/reboot attempts), it should be fine. I just spent a couple of hours trying to "forget what I know" and just go with what this unit says you should do and so far it's great. I'll update this review if necessary.

Hope this helps...

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Stay AWAY - Needs constant rebooting. Believe the bad reviews, August 22, 2013
Christopher (CARMEL, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
Wow, what horrible technology. I saw the average rating of 4 stars, and figured maybe the people who gave the bad reviews where picky, hard to please or technology challenged. Boy was I wrong. I've had the device configured and on for less than 3 days - and it is horrible. Anything connected to the devices loses internet connectivity every 10 minutes or so. I've tried reboot and resetting the device - no change. I've connected from multiple types of devices and operating systems - no change. It's worse then worthless - I'd rather have no connectivity in spots of our house than connectivity that is inconsistent.

Also, don't believe the nice little message Amped will tag to this review. So far their support has been NO help. Well, maybe that's unfair - I'm still "continuing to hold for the next available agent", or I can leave a message and they'll be sure to call me back. They also keep telling me to on-line for support. 10 minutes on hold and counting.......

S-T-A-Y A-W-A-Y.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 3:42:25 PM PDT
Christopher,
Sorry for the trouble you are experiencing. The issues you are having can be resolved with a firmware upgrade to the unit. If you still have not reached our tech support department, please email your contact information to techsupport@ampedwireless.com and we will have a technician call you and assist you with the firmware upgrade.

Amped Wireless Tech Support.
888-573-8820

1.0 out of 5 stars Range Extender (SR300), October 24, 2011
PJ (St Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This is great product as it significantly increases the span of your wireless network. It is easy to set-up on your existing wireless network. Unfortunately I have now had 2 Range Extender (SR300)s, the first one lasted for about 3 weeks & now the second one lasted about 6 weeks. What a shame that such a great product can't work for an extended period of time. For the price of the item you would think that it would last at least 1 year. I would definitey not recommend this product unless you enjoy continually purchasing a new one.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 10:59:58 AM PDT
PJ,

We are sorry for the trouble you are having with your repeater. It is not common for an Amped Wireless device needing to be replaced in such a short amount of time. There may be a few reasons why your Smart Repeater stopped communicating with your router, such as poor signal strength or a common setting in your router. It appears you are satisfied with the operation of the product. This is not a common occurrence and with a quick call into our US based support at 888-573-8820 one of our Technical Support specialists should be able to get you up and running in no time.

Amped Wireless Staff

1.0 out of 5 stars needs constant resetting, August 9, 2011
bagga "comp user" (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very bad piece of equipment. It constantly needs resetting to link with the base router. This means going through the complete html based setup program, often multiple times in one day. This is what the company website recommends doing! It is not clear why the repeater loses the link to the base router since it is not being reset. In addition, devices that still use the base router work find. I do not see why the repeater can not automatically reestablish a link whenever it needs to do so. All laptops and pads are able to do this without the user even knowing that it is going on. I finally unplugged the beast and no longer use it.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 10:59:28 AM PDT
Bagga,

We apologize that you are having problems with our Smart Repeater. It seems from your post that the problems you are having are due to the Repeater being setup in a non-optimal location. The optimal location for setup would be a location where the repeater can obtain a signal strength of 75% and above from your home router. By placing the repeater too far away, it obtains a poor signal from your router and rebroadcasts a poor signal with poor speeds. Please contact our support department at 888-573-8820 and we can help diagnose and solve this issue for you. The Repeater should never have to be reset after its already been setup correctly.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience and recommend you move the repeater closer to your router for faster speeds and a more reliable connection.

Amped Wireless Support

Give us a call, we are here to help!