5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh translation couched in understandable language
An example: (okay, my favorite passage)
"I have overcome the world." (Jesus Christ) The Amplified Bible translates this: "I have deprived the world of the power to harm you."
Published on May 4, 2000 by Rosemary Thornton

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't able to evaluate Bible
The Bible that I purchased is a beautiful Bible and it came in good shape. However, the purchasing process did not allow me to choose the color (which was fine) but more importantly, it didn't allow me to evaluate the size of the print. I have a problem with facial pain and can't wear my glasses to read and so print size is very important to me...especially with...
Published on November 4, 2006 by Janice E. Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh translation couched in understandable language, May 4, 2000
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Hardcover)
An example: (okay, my favorite passage)
The Amplified Bible is my favorite Bible translation. I was impressed with the fact that this Bible goes back to the original Hebrew and Greek translations instead of retranslating the translations.
The 23rd Psalm, the 91st Psalm - all the favorites take on powerful new meanings with a reading of this Bible.
I would highly recommend this Bible to anyone who loves to dig deep into the spiritual meaning and practicality of God's word.
I recently pulled out my leather copy of this AB (I have both the hardcover and leather editions) and I noticed I'd filled the flyleafs with my "favorite" Bible passages. That's how this book is - you read a verse and say "Aha...so that's what that verse means..I never thought of it in that light" and then you have to think about it for a time and let it sink in deep. It's a book (and a message) that will really satisfy the hungry heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Second Bible, January 8, 2002
When reading the Bible in different translations readers are often struck by the different words used by different translations. That is even between two Literal (word-for-word) translations (like the King James and the NRSV). When you get into a Dynamic Equivalence translation (like NIV) or a Free translation (like Phillips) you can be astounded, and wonder if the translators were using the same source material. Idealy, students of the Bible should be able to read it in the orginal Hebrew, Aramaic, and koine Greek. But that's an ideal the vast majority of us will never be able to meet. Enter the Amplified Bible. The purpose of the AB is to give English readers a better feel for the original material by amplifying the translation.
The AB starts with an excellent Literal translation and then uses brackets and parentheses to amplify any word that doesn't have a literal English equivalent. Brackets []contain clarifying words or comments not in the original. Parentheses () include additional meanings to the original word that the English word doesn't, for example the Greek work transliterated as pisteuo, is usually translated as 'believes', but in the orginal actually means much more. See my example from John in the next paragraph.
John 11:25- "Jesus said to her, I am [Myself] the Resurrection and the Life. Whoever believes in (adheres to, trusts in, and relies on) Me, although he may die, yet he shall live."
Why do I title this "Outstanding Second Bible"? I find that for my first read thru on any section, I prefer to use a good study Bible, as the amplified material interrupts the flow of the narrative. Especially for those new to Bible study, the amplifications can be confusing. Read your primary Bible first, then look at the AB to ensure you have a good grasp of the word meanings. My personal recomendations for primary study Bibles are: for Literal translation, the "Harper-Collins NRSV Study Bible", and for Dynamic Equivalence translation, the "Concordia Self-Study Bible (NIV)".
To sum up, the Amplified Bible is an outstanding tool for anyone interested in serious Bible study, my only caveat is that it shouldn't be your primary text.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Bible is the sharpest "double edged sword" you can own!, December 9, 1998
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Paperback)
If you enjoy "feasting" on the Word of God, you will never be hungry again! This is absolutely the richest, deepest and fullest translation you will ever read. Reading the Amplified Bible is like reading the KJV, NKJV, NAS, NIV, TLB, RSV, Phillips and a commentary at the same time. Observe: "Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather, but his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord...(Psalm 1:1). I'll never read another translation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful translation of the original Greek and Hebrew, January 5, 1999
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Leather Bound)
I was amazed that no other reviews had been wrtten on this beautifully translated version of the Old and New Testaments. I have used it for years, along with other translations, and find it more accurate in bringing the flavor of the language and interpretive insights to words. For example: The gospel of John 3:16, is well known by most Christians, and this version expands on the words used in a way that makes the verse even more personal. When we think of the word (believe) this translation uses the deeper meanings, such as, trusts in, clings to, relies on. This is true through throughout the interpretaion and encourages us to examine, in depth, our knowledge of God's word. I would urge any student of the bible to consider adding this to their "must have' list. .

4.0 out of 5 stars The most accurate translation out there . . ., October 31, 2004
Mr. Unbelievable (Lakeville, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Paperback)
The Amplified Bible claims to translate text from Hebrew and NT Greek with the fullest sense of each word, as it was understood to native readers. Being a NT Greek scholar, I have performed many translations from the original Greek texts of Luke, Paul, and others in the New Testament. I understood how hard it is to translate a certain word into English and impart the same connotations that are apparent to native speakers and readers. Naturally, the Amplified Bible's claim intrigued me, and I picked one up for an agreeable $15 to see if they were right. With what I have read so far (mostly Paul's letters), I am very pleased at how the Amplified Bible gets across those important nuances and meanings. They use parentheses around words or phrases that are carried with the original text, and they use brackets around words or phrases that would clarify the meaning of the original text. I am also very happy with the Amplified Bible's translations of the nuances too. They are comprehensive without being too academic - they are important and to the point.

Howevery, this may not be the best Bible for daily reading or use in small groups due to its literal translation. This is particularly felt in Paul's letters, where a simple, polished reading isn't there even in the original text. But it is essential as a second Bible for personal use, as well as with a Bible study or theological work. I almost regret taking NT Greek when I could buy this Bible ;-) , but it is definitely an advantage that every Christian should take.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's nothing closer to the truth!, October 1, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Leather Bound)
This version has been my favorite for years! There's just nothing like it, short of learning the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic languages on your own and then reading the original texts in their original writings!
The Amplified version expounds on all important words and gives you the original intent and meaning, according to the language spoken at that time and/or the original language used to pen the scriptures.
You'll never read another version that brings this much understanding to your studies!
Alan Horvath

5.0 out of 5 stars Great translation of the Bible for personal study, May 29, 2001
Jennifer (Gainesville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Paperback)
I like the amplified version over other versions of the Bible because everything is explained in context. If the verse refers to other scripture, that scripture referance appears right there in parenthesis. Word meanings and background info is also right there in the text. This is the first translation I have read that prompted me to read through the whole Bible. I would recommend it to anyone who would like a more in-depth perspective or for someone having trouble reading more traditional text such as the KJV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides excellent insight into the original text!, December 21, 1999
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Hardcover)
The Amplified Bible is certainly a 'Must' for every serious student of the Word of God. Especially when someone isn't fluent in the original languages of the Bible, the Amplified Bible will shed tremendous light on the original text. A great benefit of this Bible is the fact that it is a type of transliteration from the original manuscripts,...therefore, the Amplified Bible can be trusted as very accurate. The transliteration from the original manuscripts is as close as it can be in the English language. It also provides much help to the student of the Word who is interested in studying the original languages of the Bible some day. We've utilized the Amplified Bible since the early 80s, and we're certain that the purchase of this Bible is money well spent. Every reader of the Amplified Bible will be blessed by a deeper understanding of the Word of God as the Holy Spirit illuminates each book, each chapter and each verse.

5.0 out of 5 stars gave me understanding and clarity, January 20, 2004
This review is from: Amplified Bible (Leather Bound)
Considered by many as one of the most literal translations available, the Amplified Bible adds understanding for the reader by using contemporary language, and by giving the text its fullest meaning with added words (in brackets and parentheses) for clarification.
Some consider it fragmented in style, but once one gets into the flow of it, it is easier reading and very enlightening.
After many years of reading the KJV, I purchased the Amplified in 1999, and was astounded by how it made already familiar texts come to life. I am presently almost at the end of my second cover-to-cover reading, and love this translation more than ever.
The heart and soul of this translation was the dedication and scholarship of Dr. Frances Siewert (1881-1967), a remarkable woman whose passion for the scriptures and knowledge of languages, along with the commitment of the Lockman Foundation and Zondervan Publishing House, gave us this marvelous translation, first published in one volume in 1965.
Among the many sources used were Rudolph Kittel's Biblia Hebraica, Wescott and Hort's Greek Text, the 23rd Edition of Nestle Greek New Testament, and Greek and Hebrew lexicons.
Each book has an introduction that I find extremely useful; it gives historical perspective, insights into the authorship, and more.
The back of the volume contains a fairly extensive concordance, several maps, and the leatherbound and hardback editions have a print size that is kind to the eyes.
For those like me who are "non-academic", but want to understand and learn from the scriptures as much as we are capable of, I highly recommend reading this translation, at least once in a lifetime.
Psalm 46:1
Amplified: "God is our Refuge and Strength (mighty and impenetrable to temptation), a very present and well-proved help in trouble".
KJV: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble".

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading Within the Words, September 14, 2000
My experience with the Amplified Bible has literally opened my vision to what genuine Bible study/reading can be. I have almost every version and translation of the Bible except the Amplified. I regret having waiting so long to use this version in my studies. This is not a "study" Bible, with copious footnotes of interpretation at the bottom of each page. Rather, there are in-text amplifications of meanings of the original words - and it is these amplifications which have given me new and profound insight into verses I know by heart. In addition, I find the legitimately extra amplification of words [in brackets] to be of immense help. In summation, one of the best Bibles for inspirational reading or serious study.

Amplified Bible