Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Cole Swindell Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

An example: (okay, my favorite passage)
"I have overcome the world." (Jesus Christ) The Amplified Bible translates this: "I have deprived the world of the power to harm you."
The Amplified Bible is my favorite Bible translation. I was impressed with the fact that this Bible goes back to the original Hebrew and Greek translations instead of retranslating the translations.
The 23rd Psalm, the 91st Psalm - all the favorites take on powerful new meanings with a reading of this Bible.
I would highly recommend this Bible to anyone who loves to dig deep into the spiritual meaning and practicality of God's word.
I recently pulled out my leather copy of this AB (I have both the hardcover and leather editions) and I noticed I'd filled the flyleafs with my "favorite" Bible passages. That's how this book is - you read a verse and say "Aha...so that's what that verse means..I never thought of it in that light" and then you have to think about it for a time and let it sink in deep. It's a book (and a message) that will really satisfy the hungry heart.
66 comments|473 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2002
When reading the Bible in different translations readers are often struck by the different words used by different translations. That is even between two Literal (word-for-word) translations (like the King James and the NRSV). When you get into a Dynamic Equivalence translation (like NIV) or a Free translation (like Phillips) you can be astounded, and wonder if the translators were using the same source material. Idealy, students of the Bible should be able to read it in the orginal Hebrew, Aramaic, and koine Greek. But that's an ideal the vast majority of us will never be able to meet. Enter the Amplified Bible. The purpose of the AB is to give English readers a better feel for the original material by amplifying the translation.
The AB starts with an excellent Literal translation and then uses brackets and parentheses to amplify any word that doesn't have a literal English equivalent. Brackets []contain clarifying words or comments not in the original. Parentheses () include additional meanings to the original word that the English word doesn't, for example the Greek work transliterated as pisteuo, is usually translated as 'believes', but in the orginal actually means much more. See my example from John in the next paragraph.
John 11:25- "Jesus said to her, I am [Myself] the Resurrection and the Life. Whoever believes in (adheres to, trusts in, and relies on) Me, although he may die, yet he shall live."
Why do I title this "Outstanding Second Bible"? I find that for my first read thru on any section, I prefer to use a good study Bible, as the amplified material interrupts the flow of the narrative. Especially for those new to Bible study, the amplifications can be confusing. Read your primary Bible first, then look at the AB to ensure you have a good grasp of the word meanings. My personal recomendations for primary study Bibles are: for Literal translation, the "Harper-Collins NRSV Study Bible", and for Dynamic Equivalence translation, the "Concordia Self-Study Bible (NIV)".
To sum up, the Amplified Bible is an outstanding tool for anyone interested in serious Bible study, my only caveat is that it shouldn't be your primary text.
11 comment|303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 1998
If you enjoy "feasting" on the Word of God, you will never be hungry again! This is absolutely the richest, deepest and fullest translation you will ever read. Reading the Amplified Bible is like reading the KJV, NKJV, NAS, NIV, TLB, RSV, Phillips and a commentary at the same time. Observe: "Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather, but his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord...(Psalm 1:1). I'll never read another translation!
11 comment|195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 17, 2012
I got mine 2 days before Amazon estimated and I'm so excited! It's better than I hoped! It's not a compact, but it's much smaller than I thought it would be. The font is nice and big, which is what I was banking on. The colors are pretty accurate in my opinion, the pink is not baby pink, petal pink, or fuchsia, it's exactly what I'd call orchid.. sort of a pink that borders on purply or cooler bluer tones (think internet orchid), and the purple part is quite dark. My engagement ring is a purply pink sapphire that I always refer to as "orchid" or "plum" which is why I'm thrilled with this Bible, they match!! lolz! The imitation leather is thin and matte. I've posted pics in case you want to make sure you're getting the same bible that you see online when googling this product..
review image review image
66 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2004
The Amplified Bible claims to translate text from Hebrew and NT Greek with the fullest sense of each word, as it was understood to native readers. Being a NT Greek scholar, I have performed many translations from the original Greek texts of Luke, Paul, and others in the New Testament. I understood how hard it is to translate a certain word into English and impart the same connotations that are apparent to native speakers and readers. Naturally, the Amplified Bible's claim intrigued me, and I picked one up for an agreeable $15 to see if they were right. With what I have read so far (mostly Paul's letters), I am very pleased at how the Amplified Bible gets across those important nuances and meanings. They use parentheses around words or phrases that are carried with the original text, and they use brackets around words or phrases that would clarify the meaning of the original text. I am also very happy with the Amplified Bible's translations of the nuances too. They are comprehensive without being too academic - they are important and to the point.

Howevery, this may not be the best Bible for daily reading or use in small groups due to its literal translation. This is particularly felt in Paul's letters, where a simple, polished reading isn't there even in the original text. But it is essential as a second Bible for personal use, as well as with a Bible study or theological work. I almost regret taking NT Greek when I could buy this Bible ;-) , but it is definitely an advantage that every Christian should take.
11 comment|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 1999
I was amazed that no other reviews had been wrtten on this beautifully translated version of the Old and New Testaments. I have used it for years, along with other translations, and find it more accurate in bringing the flavor of the language and interpretive insights to words. For example: The gospel of John 3:16, is well known by most Christians, and this version expands on the words used in a way that makes the verse even more personal. When we think of the word (believe) this translation uses the deeper meanings, such as, trusts in, clings to, relies on. This is true through throughout the interpretaion and encourages us to examine, in depth, our knowledge of God's word. I would urge any student of the bible to consider adding this to their "must have' list. .
on October 1, 1999
This version has been my favorite for years! There's just nothing like it, short of learning the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic languages on your own and then reading the original texts in their original writings!
The Amplified version expounds on all important words and gives you the original intent and meaning, according to the language spoken at that time and/or the original language used to pen the scriptures.
You'll never read another version that brings this much understanding to your studies!
Alan Horvath
on June 30, 2012
After studying with the New American Standard Version for 20 years, I decided to include the Amplified. Purple is my favorite color so this Bible easily attracted me. It is more beautiful than pictured and the leather is absolutely exquisite. Soft, supple but yet hardy. The pages are fine but not toilet paper thin. The print is perfect and I have not been able to put it down, thank God, since I've had it for two months. I like the little bits of history given at the beginning of each book as well. With all your getting, get understanding and this version assists with that flawlessly and the binding is beautiful. Be blessed all!
on May 29, 2001
I like the amplified version over other versions of the Bible because everything is explained in context. If the verse refers to other scripture, that scripture referance appears right there in parenthesis. Word meanings and background info is also right there in the text. This is the first translation I have read that prompted me to read through the whole Bible. I would recommend it to anyone who would like a more in-depth perspective or for someone having trouble reading more traditional text such as the KJV.
on December 21, 1999
The Amplified Bible is certainly a 'Must' for every serious student of the Word of God. Especially when someone isn't fluent in the original languages of the Bible, the Amplified Bible will shed tremendous light on the original text. A great benefit of this Bible is the fact that it is a type of transliteration from the original manuscripts,...therefore, the Amplified Bible can be trusted as very accurate. The transliteration from the original manuscripts is as close as it can be in the English language. It also provides much help to the student of the Word who is interested in studying the original languages of the Bible some day. We've utilized the Amplified Bible since the early 80s, and we're certain that the purchase of this Bible is money well spent. Every reader of the Amplified Bible will be blessed by a deeper understanding of the Word of God as the Holy Spirit illuminates each book, each chapter and each verse.