Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Amazon Elements Sensitive Baby Wipes, Exclusive to Prime Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on October 5, 2011
Living in a rural area I am used to getting bad reception from rooftop antennas. Recently I upgraded all of our television sets to 1080p HD versions and decided we also needed to replace our old antenna. After much research, I purchased the WA-2605. The specifications for it seemed quite good. Though I have to admit, I bought it because I liked the way it looked when compared to many of the other antennas listed here on Amazon.

The antenna took less than a week to arrive. It is made out of aluminum and a tough rigid plastic. Assembly was easy requiring only two phillips head screw drivers, a jewelers sized one and a standard size. (You'll need the small jewelers sized screw driver to attach the aluminum flanges to the long aluminum bar.) The only time I looked at the instructions was to make certain I was using the proper screws in the correct holes, total assembly time was less than 15 minutes.

One modification I did have to make was to reduce the interior of the antenna's plastic mount by sanding it in order for it to fit our antenna mast. I used a Dremel with a drum head sanding pad.

So how well does the antenna work?

In a single word outstanding! It not only met my expectations it exceeded them. The quality of the signals I am now able to receive are two to three times better than our older, much larger antenna. I am now pulling in one station that is 140 miles away and another which is 80 miles distant. Our closest local station is 45 miles.

The day I installed it, the antenna got the first major test of its life when we had a storm blow in that was packing winds of 50-60 miles per hour. (We received a half inch of rain in less than 30 minutes.) I expected to find my new antenna at least partially bent out of shape. It passed its first test with flying colors and continues to work extremely well. Someone put a lot of thought into the design of this antenna by including holes in the bottom of the plastic that allow any accumulated moisture to drain away.

The only thing I wish this antenna had was a way to tell which way it is pointing. There is no indicator on the power box. Fortunately, I am able to look out my window and see which direction it is pointing, making adjustment, at least for me, easy. However, I did open up the assembly that contains the motor to see how it works. While the antenna does have 360 degree rotation, it has an internal physical "stop" (made of plastic) that keeps it from continuing to rotate beyond 360 degrees. Which when you think about it is a necessity since you would end up wrapping the antenna wire around the mast. By the way, be sure and leave enough "slack" in the cable so the antenna can rotate fully.

Here's another hint for you, if you need to purchase a cheap but high quality antenna mast use galvanized fence tubing. It's almost a perfect fit for the mount on this antenna, though the plastic mount does require some internal sanding.

If you need a taller antenna (as I did) buy the 10 foot long tubes. They are specifically designed to connect by sliding one end onto the other. My antenna now stands at the top of two 10 foot sections of tubing at a height of 16 feet. I sank 4 feet of the tubing into the ground. And just in case you're wondering how I did that. First, I heavily watered the ground the night before and then used a post pounder to drive the first 10 foot section. I was, however, able to get it to go in the first 2 feet by simply pulling on it and using my weight.

And just in case you are wondering. Yes, the metal tubing will hold up to the weight of 35 pound post pounder with very little distortion of the metal, just be sure and sink the thicker end of the tubing into the ground. One other advantage to using two pieces of tubing instead of one much longer piece is for maintenance of the antenna. It will be a simple matter if you ever need to take it down.

Hint: If you are going to install a mast higher than 10 feet, you will need to anchor it against something solid at about the 10 to 14 foot level (I used the roof of my house); otherwise it will sway violently in a wind storm. Brackets for doing this are available at any hardware store.
4949 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2013
Let me just say we've had Dish Network (lost the signal a lot), Direct TV, AT&T Uverse, and Comcast Xfinity in our home. After the first of the year, when our cable bill came in at $167 mth I had enough. I shopped the deals from other providers and could not believe what they wanted for basic service (once you add in all the hidden costs). I came across a blog about HDTV antennas and got really excited at the thought of ditching cable for good. Time to get educated. This one seemed to fit our needs perfectly. It arrived in 3 days.

It took me about 5 minutes to open the box and assemble the antenna. While I was doing that, my husband worked on taking down the Direct TV dish (mounted on a 6 ft pole in our backyard). We slipped the assembled antenna on the pole, screwed int he knobs, connected the coxial cable, fed it along the house to the junction box (same path the Direct TV wire took). Then I popped open the junction box and replaced the "IN" wire, with the antenna coxial wire. This was about another 5 minute process.

Next I went in to my house, plugged in the power box, attached it to the TV, and turned on the TV, ran a channel search. Once that was complete, I used the power box remote to fine tune the digital signal, and ran another channel search. There are 27 stations in my area. I got all 27 with crystal clear reception. 19 of them are High Def. I could not believe the picture! Even with my $167 cable bill I did not get 1 single HD channel. Next I did the TV in the Master, and the kids rooms. Then closed the junction box. In 10 minutes I hooked up all 4 TVs and was finished.

Entire set up time = 20 minutes
Ease of project - simple *
Tools needed - a phillips screwdriver
Value for the $ - IMPRESSIVE 5 STARS

Recommendations - before you order anything check the signals in your area [...] then walk around your house and look at your existing set up. Where does the cable come in to your home? Where is your junction box? How is it wired? Do you have high speed internet? Trace the wire paths so you have an idea of how it is set up. If this confuses you - do some research. There are tons of articles and youtube videos that teach you about coxial wires, splitters and how to set everything up. If you are lucky enough to already have it set up (like I did) then all you are doing is replacing your cable or satelite with the antenna. The hookup could not be easier.
on April 26, 2011
I want to tell all you non believers out there, this is the best HDTV antenna I've ever used. Found out new RV I purchased had a omnidirectional antenna that was suppose to be adequate. No so true. It was only good for a 25 mile radius. Didn't work well at all. Only able to bring in a few channels and did not include ABC channel. After receiving and setting up the WA-2605, can now pull in 45-48 channels including all local channels. Really like being able to remote rotate and view signal strength on TV to really max out the signal coming in. This HDTV antenna has been a real treat and love the 150 mile range. Can actually pull in west coast stations across the state from Tampa to Daytona Beach. The shipment was sooner than expected, and setup was elementary. I recommend this antenna to all that a need a product that truly works as advertised and is priced right.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2014
I live in Centreville Va, about 22 miles from the Broadcasting towers in DC. In a recent effort to save money, I decided to cut cable and get this antenna.

I mounted the antenna in the attic of my townhouse and now I get 45 Channels. Of the 45 channels 36 of them are perfectly clear.

I am very pleased with this product. For the price, I don't think I could have found anything better.

Update: After looking through all of the channels to see exactly what I got, I realized that I am actually picking up a few channels from Baltimore MD which is approximately 60 miles away.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 9, 2014
As I was cutting out DirectTV for free HDTV, I did a LOT of research before purchasing this antenna and when I did so it looked to be the best choice for the reasons mentioned above. I was ready to switch to free TV right at the beginning of the year, Jan 2014.

Upon arrival the antenna seemed to reflect the cost immediately. It was shipped in a plain white box and some of the contents inside were damaged. The plastic housing for both the preamp/rotation receiver and the remote were of cheap quality, and both had medium chunks were the plastic had broken off during shipping. Despite this it seemed quite obvious the internal components weren't damaged, so I assembled the antenna and took it to the roof. Having done my research on antennaweb, tvfool, and the .gov sites I positioned it to it's best location and attached it using the cable and mast from the DirectTV dish (I simply removed the dish and put it in the garage).

I went down and saw that I had 30+ channels with excellent quality. I couldn't believe how easy it was. My wife and I spent the next week or so adjusting to the new HTPC I had set up and then enjoyed free TV for the following weeks rather seemlessly. Then came February.

Around mid-February channels started to freeze up. At first I thought it might be weather related, but there wasn't any snow. I attempted to move the antenna via the remote control that came with it and discovered that it was indeed flaky, and that when it did pivot it would go in whatever direction it wanted regardless of whether I pushed the Left or Right button. Finally I digressed and went to the roof to manually swing the antenna. My wife manned the TV channel checking while I did the manual movement of the antenna. It was facing about 45 degrees to the east this time when the channels started coming in clearly. I left it again for another month and a half.

This time the channels went out rather sequentially. At first it was a channel here or there that would start to get that digital fragmentation, freeze on a frame, then flip to a blue screen that said "weak signal", Within a week more channels caught the fragmentation disease, and the ones that had it initially simply said "No signal". My wife was working long hours these few weeks, and when I was home so was our 1 year old son, so I had to promise her I wouldn't attempt to risk myself on the roof without her here (which wouldn't do me any good anyway since our son couldn't tell me yet if channels were working). So I bid my time watching our precious free television fade into uselessness.

Finally around the beginning of May I was able to go back up to the roof and repeat the process. This time I brought the brand new, previously unused coaxial cable that came with the antenna up to the roof and re-seated the Antenna on the mast. It was a very long process where it seemed that no matter which direction I pointed, few channels were going to come in. Suddenly I struck gold and managed to get all of the channels we had initially gotten when aiming in the exact opposite direction of the incorrect position of 45 degrees off. I figured it was either reflecting oddly (?) or even working backwards (receiving signal "base" first), but was just pleased to have a signal and let it go.

Since then I have again fine tuned the antenna position twice more, with incrementally less channels and reception quality since. Now the channels have faded to the point where my wife and I are simply down to 2 working channels, and I admit I've let it happen as I've tired of going to the roof to adjust the thing - I've let go. All of our local PBS channels are gone, FOX, CW, ABC -- all gone. The only ones we receive are NBC (which has always been the strongest signal as the station is simply across the way) and Northwest Cable News. NBC even freezes frequently, and although we only watch it half-heartedly (so many reality shows >.<) it teases us by playing into the faux appreciation of who will be eliminated next to then simply freeze and make us sit in anti-climactic anticipation of maybe never knowing who is left in America that still has "Talent."

It might be that the Pre-Amp is no longer functioning in the signal, but I am taking my prior research and re-assessing a new antenna. I apologize that this is such a long and colorful review, but must admit I have need of self-entertainment as I no longer have television to occupy me.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2013
My wife purchased this antenna against my wishes, I did not believe it would work! To keep peace at home (a happy wife is a good life) I put the antenna together and set it on the counter as I did not think it would work. I disconnected my Direct tv to prove to my wife it was a waste of money. Needless to say you could pick my jaw up off the floor when it picked up over 60 channels in the center of high rise buildings. I called Direct tv the next day and cancelled my $150. a month service and now have FREE TV. I put the antenna on a pole and screwed it directly into my direct tv splitter and have tv in all rooms of my house. I would strongly recommend this antenna to everyone. We have had it for 6 months now with NO problems what so ever and that is saying alot when you live on beachside in Daytona Beach Florida. Beachside is harsh on everything and the antenna is going strong with no problems. We also have a home in NC where the winters can be harsh and NO problems what so ever with that antenna either. Great product, why pay $1800. a year for what you can get for free. AND although I can't speak spanish it picks up Spanish channels as well.
on November 30, 2014
Very Good product.....Mostly plastic construction but durable grade.
Works exactly as advertised. Add a winegard mast and a fitting / adapter
from your local hardware store and you're good to go.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2013
This antenna rocks. It's a cheap, but powerful antenna. I live in Charlotte, NC and I'm picking up towers in Greensboro and Winston Salem easily 80+ miles away with no signal disruption at HD quality. I went from 18 digital channels with an indoor antenna to 41 digital channels after installation.

I only mounted the antenna about 8ft high to a garden shed. If I had mounted this higher, I probably could have pulled in a few more. Great product!
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2014
I am an Electrical Engineer specializing in antennas.

I don't have one of these antennas. I was checking it out, thinking about putting it up on my RV. I was looking for antenna rotators and gave this a few minutes consideration and thought I'd clue you folks in on what this really is. I may buy one but more likely I'll buy a better antenna and find a creative way to attach it to my camper on a rotator.

Antenna's:

Antenna's work on the principal of having wire in 1/2 wavelength dipoles or appropriately sized (one wavelength) loop for the frequency of concern. This looks like a loop but is actually pairs of dipoles bent into a U shape.

VHF & UHF: In the case of broadcast TV there are two bands, VHF, and UHF.

This antenna has only one VHF loop. While there are few VHF broadcast stations, you can expect to pick up strong stations with this, but nothing farther away. It only has one element so the amount of signal gain you will see is zero except for the pre-amplifier gain. So this antenna has a minimal VHF capability, and I suppose that is better than nothing, a huge 30 year old TV antenna you would find in your basement would work better.

Next if there are multiple elements you can increase the range (of signal collection) properties of the antenna. UHF is from 470-890MHz. This is equivalent to 64 to 34 centimeter wavelengths. Divide this in half for the half wave length, or 32cm to 17 cm. For loop antennas the full wavelength is the size of the loop shown. The loops in this case are not connected, so we can eyeball these and see that the bent dipole (half loops) are skewed towards the upper end of the UHF band. There should be more variation in the size of the smaller elements. However, the elements are moderately thick and that opens up the bandwidth slightly. Remember that old TV antenna you grew up with--with lots of different sized elements? Little elements between the big one and jutting out in different directions? That would work better than this.

Behind all this is a reflector. That help focus the signal in the direction of the elements. This is a bit small.

So, this is an amplified antenna. Sounds impressive? It is when it is working. Modern GasFET amplifiers are amazingly good, and will boost your signal enormously. That is what makes this antenna perform--for a while. GasFET devices are notoriously susceptible to any sort of surge. A power spike, nearby lightning strike, or simply mishandling the antenna--walking on a carpet in your socks while hold this antenna, WILL KILL THE PREAMP and ruin the sensitivity of this antenna. So the people who rave about this antenna, and the ones who don't are both right. The former will join the other group in hating this antenna when it craps out.

What, else? This is a motorized antenna. A very nice feature, but something I'd want separate from the antenna.

Antenna's work by increasing their sensitivity in one direction. The higher the gain the longer the distance, but also the narrower the beam (Think of a narrow bean flashlight). It has to be pointed in the right direction. So if you live in an area with strong signals--say New York City--a pair of rabbit ears will. If you live 20 miles away from the only stations near you, say the Las Vegas area, a modest antenna will work for you. If you live halfway between two cities like Hartford, and New York, then a higher gain antenna might work for you. And if you live in the Catskills Mountains and want to pick up a station over 100 miles away, you need the highest possible gain antenna.

The good. It is a compact antenna, the amplifier makes a so-so antenna perform well. If your antenna is not performing well, return it for replacement or refund to buy another. It has a rotator. That is a nice feature and allows you to point the antenna in the right direction and turn it to tune in another station.

So what is wrong with this antenna?

1) The elements are too close together. That is a big no-no for a transmitting antenna, but TV antenna are receive only. Cramming the elements close together is not ideal, but more wire, the correct length is helpful to pull in weak signals.
2) Not enough variation in the size of the elements.
3) Physically too small an antenna.
4) Small reflector
5) Vulnerable amplifier.

Finally, what sort of antenna did I buy?

Antennas Direct DB4E Antenna

1. It has no pre-amp--it will not fail.
2. It has high gain. You can buy bigger versions of this for longer range reception.
3. Large reflector
4. It does very well picking up stations behind it. I was debating removing the reflector and decided to leave it on since it is working so well.
5. I am also fortunate that the stations to either side are fairly close, so I don't need to be pointed at them.

My recommendation is to look at the reviews and read the negative feedback. Ignore the less intelligent comments and make a decision based on what you read. There are other antennas equally good. The bigger the antenna, generally the better it will perform. If you are limited in space, this might be a good antenna for you--like mounted on an RV.

Lastly, put any antenna up on the roof and you will be much happier with the results, than an antenna indoors. I tested my antenna indoors--I live on a hilltop and it worked pretty well. After mounting it on the roof I pulled in several more stations clearly. Then I went through and programmed my TV to ignore many of the stations in low def formats and uninteresting programming.

Good luck and don't be afraid to go up on the roof or clamp a mast on the side of your house.
on February 13, 2015
The company sent me something else. NOT what was pictured.
They sent me a WA-2608, I think.

Junk.. I get the same reception with just the coax cable and no antenna...
I think you could do better with just a wire
This is what it looks like inside.
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...