Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > AWAY: A Novel forum

Amy Bloom's new novel, Away

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2007 6:21:48 PM PDT
Fern says:
Away is the best thing she's ever written. Though I adore her short stories and always will, I want her to do novels forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2007 7:07:15 PM PDT
I really loved it too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 8:13:46 AM PST
Hi Fern,
I really loved this book, as I did her others. However, I was lost at the ending. What happened?
Thank you!
Kimberly

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 2:54:37 PM PST
A. Michel says:
Thank you. I'm not the only one totally confused by the last paragraph. Can anyone tell me what the last paragraph meant?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007 5:58:08 PM PST
Well, I fully expected to like "Away," but I didn't. I couldn't buy the fact that the protagonist would just "set off" searching for her daughter the way she would with little to no preparation, for one thing. And she really couldn't have survived. It was just too incredible for me, but I, too, would like for someone to decipher that last paragraph.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 6:13:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2007 6:17:00 PM PST
Shulamit says:
I'll take a stab at explaining the last paragraph. After telling us what has happened to Sophie, and then about Lillian and John's life together, and growing old together, Bloom returns us to the present: Lillian is, finally, ready to give up. She looks for a place to lie down and, presumably, die. The leaves rustle in front of her, and she sees John's hand emerging from among them, followed, of course, by the rest of him! (We already know they find each other and make a life together, so we know she doesn't die--nor does he.) It's a wonderful touch that John's hand is the first thing she sees, while her husband Osip's severed hand is one of her recurrent (bad) dreams. We've come full circle, in a way: She's found a new husband for life.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2007 5:02:35 PM PST
A very perceptive observation, one that feels right for both its thought and tone. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 11:20:29 AM PST
R. Frank says:
Brilliant observation. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008 9:28:32 PM PDT
Carol Sorgen says:
I actually didn't have a hard time with that, as it didn't seem much different from her leaving Russia for the States in the first place. Three of my four grandparents emigrated to the US, one of my grandmothers from Russia, at about the same age Lillian was in the book. I did some research several years ago online at the Ellis Island site and found that she went from Odessa to England and then on to New York...in those days before planes, with no money, no papers, no clothes...and also the victim of pogroms, as was Lillian...it boggles my mind to think of how she did that. So the fact that Lillian did it as well, and then tried to reverse her steps, was not farfetched to me at all.

I also had a hard time with the last paragraph, however, but I'm glad to see that someone offered what I think is a reasonable explanation.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 11:50:17 AM PDT
I have a different take on the last paragraph--I think Lillian is finding Bishop's dead body under the leaves. All the "tidy ending" stories for the characters are the stories Lillian makes up to enable her to leave the past behind so that she has the strength to move on to the next leg of her journey toward Sophie. They relate to her earlier observation that the story you tell is quite different from the ugly truth that sticks to your underside like tar. The "stories" come in a mad rush at the end of the book as Lillian's brain creates fictions to protect her fragile mental state from the absorbing the reality of Bishop's dead body. It will be the last straw for Lillian and I expect, like Yaakov, she will give up her fight to survive (not knowing that she is only 5 miles from where she started).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 11:04:52 AM PDT
I was just discussing this book with my sister and we had very different images of the ending. I too, think that the "tidy" summaries of both Sophie's and Lillian's lives were in her imagination. I think that seeing John's hand as she is dying is a sort of comfort to her. Remember, she fell into the water, in Alaska, lost all of her belongings, and was freezing cold. A person wouldn't survive longer than a few minutes in those conditions. But, I guess we'll never know...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 7:34:53 PM PST
M. Conlon says:
I too was confused by the last paragraph and logged on to see if others had also been mystified. Glad I wasn't the only one. I thought that maybe I'd missed something big or just been too prosaic in my thinking. Thanks for the thought provoking hypothesis about it. What do you think the title means? "Away" from home? "Away" from what?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2009 9:35:24 AM PDT
After reading interviews with the author, we now know that the "tidy endings" are factual and given to us by the omniscient narrator, the "God's eye," who does know what happened.

I'm leaning towards Shulamit's opinions, especially after relating Bishop's hand to Osip's severed hand. Looking forward to finding out what others in my local book discussion group think this coming Tuesday! This last paragraph has really bothered me. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2010 8:04:49 PM PST
Since there were so many tidy endings, including the fact that they grew old together . the next step would have to be that one of them died.In one of the last paragraphs there was a description of how Lillian could see the luminescence of of John's hair in the Birches even when it turned gray. As she went through the birches looking for John, she was reliving the despair because she did not see John. She had to part the birches and almost swim in. Then she saw John's hand as she had seen Osip's hand. I think that she had finally had lost John to a natural death. It was a sense of completion that had to be created in our minds rather than being told by the omniscient narrator.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  AWAY: A Novel forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Away: A Novel
Away: A Novel by Amy Bloom (Paperback - June 24, 2008)
3.3 out of 5 stars (211)