Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Amy's Jukebox
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 23, 2012
This is a great CD. There are a couple of songs that I don't like too well but the rest make up for it. I didn't realize that it was other artists instead of Ms. Winehouse when I ordered it but I wasn't disappointed. There are 26 songs that are mostly from my "younger" days. If you love Sinatra, The Supremes and that era of music, you will love this CD.
This collection is meant to reflect the versatility, soulfulness, and memory of Amy Winehouse.
Winehouse showed she possessed a wide range of singing abilities in her short but versatile career.
This collection is just about as versatile as Winehouse herself.

There are nine 'uncharted' tracks, some of which are likely album cuts of that artist.
Some of them were single releases, and charted, but not for the artist included here.
This collection would have been better if it had the original recordings
rather then the seven live preformances.
For example, how strained Minnie Riperton's voice sounds in 'Loving you'.
You may want to give a good listen to those sound bites
to judge if you'd really like this collection or not.

Track listing -- with comments about the songs.

1. Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop -- Little Anthony -- R&B made the top 20 in 1960.
2. You go to my head -- Frank Sinatra -- not a charted song.
3. I got a woman -- Sammy Davis Jr. -- not a charted song.
4. I feel the earth move (live) -- Carol King -- not a charted song, but well known and popular in 1971.
5. Moody's mood for love -- James Moody -- R&B made the top 100 in 1996.
6. Round midnight -- Thelonious Monk -- not a charted song.
7. Be my baby (live) -- The Ronettes -- R&B made the top 5 in 1963.
8. Tenderly -- Sarah Vaughan -- not a charted song.
9. 100 miles and runnin (live) -- N.W.A. -- R&B just missed the top 50 in 1990.
10. To know him is to love him -- The Teddy Bears -- R&B made the top 10 in 1958.
11. Will you love me tomorrow -- The Shirelles -- R&B nearly topped the chart in 1961.
12. Cupid -- Sam Cooke -- R&B made the top 20 in 1961.
13. Ain't no mountain high enough (live) -- Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell -- R&B close to top of the chart in 1967.
14. Don't go to strangers -- Etta Jones -- R&B made the top 5 in 1960.
15. I just want to make love to you -- Etta James -- not a charted song.
16. Oh Carolina -- The Folkes Brothers -- ?
17. Loving you (live) -- Minnie Riperton -- not on R&B chart, but went clear to the top of the pop chart in 1975.
18. Lover man -- Billie Holliday -- R&B made the top 5 in 1945.
19. Give him a great big kiss (live) -- The Shangri-las -- not on R&B chart but made top 20 pop chart in 1965.
20. There is no greater love -- Dinah Washington -- not a charted song.
21. The lonely avenue -- Ray Charles -- R&B made the top 10 in 1956.
22. Come see about me (live) -- The Supremes -- R&B nearly made the top of the chart in 1964.
23. Goodbye pork pie hat -- Charles Mingus -- ?
24. Stagger Lee -- Lloyd Price -- R&B went clear to the top of the chart in 1959.
25. Boulevard of broken dreams -- Tony Bennett -- not a charted song.
26. Body and soul -- Ella Fitgzerald -- not a charted song.

'Body and soul' is the duet Amy Winehouse and Tony Bennett sang together for Tony Bennett's new C.D.
'Tony Bennett, Duets II, just released September 20, 2011.
on January 12, 2012
While I don't consider Amy to be quite as good as she's made out to be, I do recognize that she had talent for singing, song writing, and playing blues guitar. If she had lived and been nearly sober for performances, she likely would have become as great as Aretha, Billie, Ella, or Mr. Bennett.
We'll never know.

Amy's JukeBox is an excellent collection of songs, most sung live and "in the moment" by the original performer, back in the day. I'm suspect many were BBC broadcasts from the 1960's and 1970's; just the way young Amy would have heard them. True, the quality of some of the recordings aren't great, but that's the way things were "back in the day". (ever heard the Beatles in Hamburg, or the Monkees in Mobile? That's horrible recording quality!)

I don't regret taking a chance on this purchase - you won't either.
on December 6, 2012
Some songs had poor sound quality that could have been overcome in the compilation of these works. While the genre of songs seemed very on point as far as influences for Winehouse, the CD is a hard listen.
on April 10, 2013
Good music from an ecletic group of artists. There were some I had never heard before and some versions of popular hits I had never heard before. Great CD for jazz listeners but mix with NWA dissonant.
on October 4, 2013
It's always great to know what motivates people. Amy's Jukebox is remarkable and my nine year old granddaughter loves it. Family members are already listening to it, they are greatly impressed. We had no idea the depth of Amy's talents, and what type of music provided her a strong foundation.
on December 13, 2012
Not a lot of people still listen to oldies these days. Its a great break away from all the digitally enhanced computer noise that is out there. This cd really shows you that even though Amy had a dark reputation she had a great appreciation for music.
on October 13, 2014
This lady was my favorite singer at the time of her unexpected demise. Her influences on this album were the same music that influenced me. What can I say? Miss her.
on July 7, 2014
For whatever reason the fact that the songs on this cd are not advertised as songs not sung by Amy Winehouse is misleading.

I bought it assuming it was an Amy Winehouse cd. I already have about 90% of the songs on other cd's with the same singers.
on June 28, 2014