Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 30, 2010
I've been an Owl City fan for about a year now, and am pretty impressed with all of Adam's work. What he has done with his music is something few have achieved. Through his songs, he exudes a positive attitude, peppers his songs with humor and dreams, and all the while, he manages not to let fame go to his head.

An Airplane Carried Me to Bed is a musical glimpse into Adam's life before he was Owl City - an album filled to overflowing with hopes, dreams, and whimsical musings. "Captains of the Sky" brings back carefree days of childhood while "Explorers" paints an elaborate and sprawling dreamscape filled with mountains, nostalgia, and the summer days of yore.

The whole album is a brilliant canvas of dreams - a sonic equivalent to confectioner's sugar. If you like Owl City, but are more of a fan of acoustic instruments rather than synthesizers, you will enjoy this album very much. I found myself singing along to many tracks, and am sure you will too.
on June 8, 2011
I have been an Owl City fan for a few years and I was so excited when I got an e-mail (I'm on Adam Young's e-mail list) saying that he was releasing a CD of his earliest music recordings. I was hoping it would be the exact same as his other music. What is actually is is even better.
The first time I listened to the whole CD through I thought it was okay, but the second time through I fell head over heels in love. I can not stop listening to this album (and I got it in September). You can tell by listening to the music that it is Adam Young, yet it is distinctly different than Owl City music. The style is slower and the lyrics deeper. The songs are incredibly well written, reflect Adam's life, and completely draw you in. There is really no way of understanding the music unless you listen to it. It's absolutely beautiful. I listen to this album more than I listen to any other Owl City album. It is absolutely worth the money!
on September 17, 2014
I've been a fan of Adam's work since I first heard 'Ocean Eyes', but wasn't aware for quite sometime of 'Sky Sailing', and I bought this album wanting to hear more of Adam's work. Apparently, the music on this album precedes the Owl City stuff, but to me, the history is unimportant, because to me, good music is timeless... This album is great! The lyricism is in Adam's style, with it's innocent and uplifting carry. There's more of an acoustic feel to this album than Adam's Owl City electronic stylings, which is a nice change of scenery in his work. I only give five star ratings to albums when I run into the scenario where I don't skip songs on the album, and I have yet to even think about skipping a song while listening to this one, and I've been listening to it on occasion now for several months. I highly recommend this album to anyone who has heard Adam's other work, or is in the market or mood for an upbeat and innocent bunch of songs to make one feel happier. Thanks for another great body of work Adam!
on February 5, 2016
This album in arguably better then his (Adam Young) better known band Owl City. This album focuses more on guitar and acoustic music. I really wish Sky Sailing would make another album because this one, while it is the only one, it is really good.
on March 13, 2016
i love the fact that this one has an AutoRip feature! Before I got my audio CD i was already playing the songs using my Amazon Music. And since it's an mp3 file, you don't need to have an Amazon music account.

Anyway, for the music, it's really great, you can tell that it has an Owl City vibe to it still but also different. Owl City has more electronic and dance sounds while Sky Sailing has it's own flavor with minimal electronic sounds and more real instrument sounds. I find it as more raw but very well done. Plus I was so surprised that the package of the CD is a foldable case and not one of those generic plastic cases so i find this very special!
on July 4, 2011
Adam Young of Owl City fame is an incredibly talented artist. He showcases those skills on his project Sky Sailing. This is a beautiful work of art. If you like Owl City, you will enjoy this album. Whereas Owl City is strongly electronic based, Sky Sailing is acoustic guitar based. I really like the change, and it shows Adam can do much more than play with a computer (if you have those kind of thoughts with electronic music).

Basically this is a beautiful, relaxing album. If you enjoy positive, imaginative music or Adam Young, you will like this album. Some of my favorites are Captains of the Sky, Brielle, Steady as She Goes, A Little Opera Goes a Long Way, Tennis Elbow, and Take Me Somewhere Nice. I would recommend the complete album.
on December 20, 2010
Pre-Owl City, Adam Young Made This CD.
With only a few pieces of equipment.
But the result was a perfect CD.
I highly recommend this CD to anyone!
on April 3, 2013
This is officially one of my favorite albums by Adam young! This album has a lot of guitar in it and its just beautiful! If your thinking about getting this then YES! Get it! You will love it as much as I do.
on September 21, 2012
I stumbled on this by accident while purchasing Owl City music (which I absolutely love). I learned Sky Sailing was Adam's first solo work before changing to Owl City, and WOW, it is incredible music! Typical of his music is a mix of beautiful instrumentation, catchy tune, and a great voice. I love the acoustic guitar, and Adam's songs with it are just beautiful and perfectly done. The piano in a couple of the songs (particularly "Red and Blue")remind me of Ryan Farish, another favorite of mine. My favorite song so far is the song "Tennis Elbow", mixing the guitar with Adam's perfect styling and a catchy tune. "I Live Alone" is beautiful, with Adam perfectly mixing his voice together in parts, along with his guitar and piano. "Steady as She Goes" shows Adam's amazing guitar ability, and is a wonderful tune that climbs and dives. My least favorite is "Take Me Somewhere Nice" - the rythym at first is a little off, and the accordian is a little strange, but one of my 12-year old daughters disagrees with me - she likes it! No matter, I'll still take it with the album. I am VERY HAPPY with this album. The bad thing, as with all of Owl City's music, is that it's so good I keep listening to it over and over again, saturating myself with it, waiting for the next album for a new "fix"! His music is that good. Four of my kids (age range 14 to 7) love his music too, the fifth is only 2 but I am sure she'll be a fan too!

If you like Owl City's music, you will love this album.
on June 16, 2011
I really fell in love with Owl City some time ago, so when I found out that Adam Young called himself Sky Sailing for a while, I had to get this album. It's become my favorite one so far. The music is so much softer, sweeter, almost sad and dreamy.