Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

79%
21%

on December 28, 2011
This is a beautiful album that expresses an atheist point of view without overt anger, but with a poised and intelligent delivery. I related to this album in a way I have never related to music before. I just can't say enough good about it.

Additionally, Shelly's voice is wonderful. The music is engaging and unique. The album is at once sexy and inspiring, a strange combination but it works.

If you are an atheist looking for music that speaks to your world view, you couldn't do better than this. If you are not an atheist but want an understanding of that point of view, this is a lovely way to get it.
on February 24, 2012
This album is just good old-fashioned great music. Shelley brings a compelling and professional energy to her work. You definitely don't need to be atheist at all to like this album. But either way, it is very exciting because it represents a positive stride in the name of atheism, rationalism, and critical thinking onto a more broadly accessible stage. Anyone who loves pop, acoustic, indie, or just about any music, will enjoy the album and find the songs thoughtful and inspiring. It's wonderful work, and I'm eager to buy the next one!
on February 20, 2012
Religious people have long had music inspired by their world view, but things have been pretty thin for atheists. Sure, there are enjoyable songs from Tim Minchin, Greydon Square, Baba Brinkman, Dan Barker, and a few other songs here and there. However, that's not enough to build a real music collection. For that reason, I'm was excited to hear this new atheist-themed work by Shelley Segal.

Musically, the album is quite good. She has a very versatile voice with impressive range and expression. The music is well composed and professionally performed, and the sound quality is good.

After listening a few times, my favorites are "Saved" and "Apocalyptic Love Song." "Saved" is addressed to those religious people who want to tell us all how to live our lives. "Apocalyptic Love Song" is dedicated to the late Christopher Hitchens; it adeptly mixes scientific facts about our tiny, brief place in the universe into a touching love song.

My major complaint about this album is that it is too short. I'm looking forward to Shelley Segal's next album. I'm looking forward to seeing her perform at the Reason Rally in March 2012.
on January 11, 2012
Cue the scores of people who will clamor to love or hate an atheist-themed album for its theme regardless of the quality of the music.

Which is too bad, because, theme aside, the quality of music here is pretty awesome.

I'm a classic rock fan who never thought I'd see the day I'd say "I just don't understand the music these kids listen to nowadays." But, well, there I am. 95% of music today is uninspired and unoriginal. While this CD only barely falls into a genre I generally like, I definitely can't fault Segal for talent. Excellent lyricist in meter and melody; again, subject matter aside, though she also tackles the subject matter with thought-provoking questions and insight instead of the anger and bitterness that one might expect from "An Atheist Album." Excellent musician. Beautiful voice that she knows just how to wield.

No doubt there will be h8rs coming here crying persecution, that here is another atheist "shoving her views down our throats." To those folks I remind you: Y'all not only have your share of god in the top 40 in amounts that would never, ever be tolerated in atheist-themed songs, but you have an entire genre dedicated to pushing *your* views on us.

Let us have our Rush and our Tim Minchin and our Shelley Segal. And if you're really as open-minded as you say, you'll check out "Saved" on YouTube and dare to answer some of the honest questions asked.

Or not.
on January 8, 2012
Until now, it seemed like the only atheist-specific music we were going to get would be heavy metal or YouTube parodies. This girl, on the other hand, sings contemporary songs that would fit into any normal playlist. She has a lovely voice, and writes good songs. My only contention would be "I Don't Believe in Fairies" because the music is off, a bit too muddled and loud for my taste. Otherwise the songs are great. I'd love to slip this CD into a party mix sometime, because you wouldn't even notice this is an atheist album until you start to listen to the lyrics.

Finally, good atheist music!
on September 7, 2012
I wanted to give this album 5 stars, but it didn't quite work for me - I heard Shelley on "Ardent Atheist" and was really taken with her thoughtfulness and her voice. She often sounds like a less shrill or yodelly Jewel. But the album itself is too limited, and after several atheistic or anti theistic songs, you kind of know where it's going. Things work out best with the indicting woman's perspective of "Eve" or the angry tone of "House with no Walls."

I would love to keep hearing her perspective as an atheist, but I would gladly listen to her voice singing about life, love, and anything else as well.

She is a voice to keep an eye on, if that makes any sense....
on June 12, 2015
veeery cool disc! love the lyrics. great voice! so refreshing to listen to music without the usual filler-nonsense like "angels' and "devil" and "heaven"... ugh, all those old concepts that many artists still use in their song lyrics without thinking about their ridiculousness.
on January 22, 2014
Great lyrics, nice arrangements, fantastic voice and a masterful balance of wit and boldness in subject and delivery. And wait....there's more! After buying the album, I subsequently found several videos of Shelley on YouTube playing live. She is the real deal - guitar and voice like a vine through lattice. I haven't been moved like this since I first heard Ann Wilson.
on April 24, 2013
I have always liked folk music so it was great to find an artist who sang about an atheist perspective of the world. Her songs are charming and catchy. Favorite tracks on this album are "Apocalyptic Love Song" and "Saved Acoustic".
on September 20, 2012
Voice of an angel......can we atheists say that? Why the hell not! LOL

Beautiful melody and strong lyricsall the way through. Heard rhe artist on LAF podcast and been a fan ever since. Can't wait for more!

Jerry Howell