5.0 out of 5 stars A sad yet uplifting read
Published on January 6, 2008 by Z Hayes

1.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed
I was disappointed once I read this book. I thought it would be much more powerful. I love Richard Carlson's work and his death is untimely. It is very unfortunate for his family, as well as his readers.

Published on April 17, 2008 by James Bowley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad yet uplifting read, January 6, 2008
Richard Carlson, author of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series of books died prematurely of a pulmonary embolism at age 45. I have loved his books since reading them years ago - they have always had the ability to inspire and motivate me when life got me down. In this book, 'An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love", we get to read Richard's love letter to his wife on their 18th anniversary, which basically entreats one to live life to the fullest and be in the moment, treasuring our time with the people that truly matter to us, and Kristine's response to it.It is an uplifting, inspiring read not just for those who are grieving over the loss of a loved one, but for those of us who feel the need to get off the conveyor belt of a hectic existence and live life to its fullest, amongst the people who love us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, interspective book, December 29, 2007
After seeing the author on Oprah and hearing the story behind this book and the author's husband's sudden death (Richard Carlson - author of New York Times' Best Seller "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff") I knew I had to read this book. I ordered it immediately and just finished reading it.... what a beautiful, well-written book emphasizing the importance of living every day of our life as though it were our last. A nice, easy-to-read, one-sitting book that will really give you pause to think about your own life and what you can maybe do differently to get the most out of living. Thank you Kristine for sharing such a personal part of you life with others. You are truly a blessed woman to have had the time you did with such an amazing man. I will cherish this book greatly. God Bless!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eye-Opening and Heart-Warming Read, January 15, 2008
I just received this book in the mail tonight, opened it up, and read the entire thing without setting it down. It has been one of the most touching, beautiful, inspiring pieces I have ever read. Who wouldn't live their life differently if they paused and saw their life from the end? Unfortunately, by the time most people get that glimpse, it is too late. We are living in a blind world, where people run non-stop with their heads down, chasing the wind. People don't know what really matters. This book is a gift -- a "pause" to stop and realize what really matters. I am grateful to have been given this pause at such a young age, when the vast majority don't get it until their lives have already been lived. Thank you, Kristine, for sharing this with us. God bless you -- you are in my prayers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Book for Couples...and Everyone Else, February 2, 2008
It is in the nature of so many of us to far too often ignore the fundamental tenets of a successful life until it is too late. This powerful little book is such a great reminder of the importance of living every day like it is our last. For, none of us really know when our time on this earth will be over.

Triple kudos to the author Kristine Carlson for having the strength to share with us her sad, yet so empowering story of the sudden loss of her husband at 45. Her husband, Richard Carlson, had a huge impact on me....and many millions more...with his series of books urging us to not sweat the small stuff. Truly amazing that three years before his death that he wrote the thoughtful letter that forms the basis for this book. How wonderful that Kristine has chosen to share that letter so that all of us may be reminded to honor the truly important in our lives.

I highly, highly recommend that EVERY couple read and absorb the beautiful message in this book. Likewise for family members and partners of all kind.

Most importantly, readers...myself included...need to live the message. We need to make sure that all of our love ones know how important they are to us. In this hyper kinetic, stressed-out world, oh how easy it is to fail to do so.

Kristine, my heart goes out to you for your loss and for the manner in which you have transformed your loss into a gift to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for just about anyone, January 7, 2008
"An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love" was a Christmas gift from a dear friend who knows how crazy our lives can be these days. We all get so busy, we forget that in the end relationships are the most important thing. My husband and I read the book together - which I would highly recommend couples do. It's not just for couples though - anyone could benefit from the inspiring reminders of what is truly most important in life. While it is sad, it's also very uplifting. We read it in less than an hour too! A must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up Call, May 9, 2008
This book is a small gem. On their wedding anniversary, a few years before he died unexpectedly at a young age, Richard Carlson gave his wife an incredible gift of love through a letter based on Stephen Levine's challenge: If you only had an hour to live, who would you call and what would you say? Not only does Carlson tell his wife all that she has meant to him and how much he loves her, his words allow all of us to understand that if we only had an hour to live, most of the things we currently think are important truly are not. That extra hour at the office, making more money, etc., pale in comparison to the moments we spend expressing our love and paying attention to our lives. We don't need to wait until we only have an hour to begin to live and appreciate our lives and those we love. Start now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Insightful, and Uplifting . A cogent reminder ... Love Never Dies!, August 7, 2008
I discovered "An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love" by Richard and Kristine Carlson, on Amazon.com after purchasing "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. I enjoyed both books and highly recommend them. There are significant differences in both books even though they are dealing with the final stages of life ... while giving heartfelt thoughts to loved ones left behind.

While Randy Pausch knew he was dying, Mr. Carlson's book was more a hypothesis, which became a sudden reality three years later after giving letters of love to his wife on their eighteenth wedding anniversary. Some among us have chastised the authors because of the simplicity of their messages. I beg to differ. The complexity of thought is not important. I have often felt profound ideas and exquisite prose ... reveal their points without obfuscation. What can be more powerful, practical, and poetical, than this quote from Mr. Carlson? "You will be remembered most not from your accomplishments in life, but for how well you lived and how much love you carried in your heart".

Mrs. Carlson answers him back (hypothetically) with her own thoughts on paper. The letters between these two marvelous people are sensitive, compassionate, and almost too personal to read. She has elected to share them with fans of Mr. Carlson's work for the greater good of society. I for one am thankful for the privilege.

Initially I was going to write this review from another perspective. I thought by focusing on his death, the author created a self-fulfilling-prophecy; until I read this quote from Mrs. Carlson: "I never dreamed I would be able to live an hour without Richard and truthfully after an initial death wish upon learning that that hour was now, the image of my daughters came to me, I knew I had to and I would go on." It reminded me in a meaningful way ... we, all of us, need to serve (and love) something greater than ourselves. Therein lies the wisdom of the message and the poignancy of the book.
Reggie Johnson, Success-Tapes.Com

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspriting, January 17, 2008
Deboarh A. Troyer (Shingle Springs, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful book that will feed the heart, make you smile, make you laugh and most importantly make you think about how you spend your life and share your moments with the people most important to YOU!

1.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, April 17, 2008

This book is a nice little tribute to his life and love for his wife and children. I think I just went into it believe it would be more dynamic or heartwrenching. In other words, I thought it might bring out more emotion from the reader than it did.

It is a nicely written tribute but honestly the most powerful part of the entire thing is the poem that someone else had written at the end. The poem ties in perfect with the story of Kris and Richards life together. This review is not meant to be malicious, just an honest response. I have high respect for the Carlson family and their work. God belss them.

If you are looking for a quick read, this is a good one. It took me about an hour and half to get through it. I hope this helps. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Hour to Live, An Hour to Love, November 11, 2008
An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever GivenYou may or may not know the name Richard Carlson, but millions of people all over the world have read his, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff," books. Dr. Carlson was considered to be one of the foremost experts on happiness around the globe. As the author of thirty popular books, he used humor and every-day life to show millions of people how to not let the small things in life get the best of them.

With more than 26 million books in print, published in 35 languages in over 130 countries, Richard Carlson became a worldwide phenomenon. He spoke to enthusiastic audiences around the world and was a popular media personality. He starred in his own PBS Special, which aired to millions and was the host of a series called, "Don't Sweat the Future." What Dr. Carlson illustrated beautifully through all of his work is the simple fact that life does not have to be as difficult as we make it. If we are not distracted by worry and self-imposed crisis, the real purpose of life is right in front of us: Live in the present moment.

Even at the height of his fame, Dr. Carlson chose to live authentically, declining many opportunities for fame and fortune. He remained devoted to normalcy and deeply understood that every-day life is where we find our most significant gifts. In 2003, on their 18th wedding anniversary, Richard presented his wife, Kristine, with a short manuscript called, "An Hour to Live." In it, he imagined that the end of his life was imminent. He posed questions originally asked by author Stephen Levine: Who would you call? What would you say? and Why are you waiting?

Uncannily, the small book foreshadowed Carlson's unexpected death three years later of a pulmonary embolism, and the book and the conversation he and Kristine shared became her life raft through the first days and months of her loss.

After Richard's death, Kristine Carlson published the book, adding her own responses to these questions. Titled, "An Hour to Live, An Hour to Love," Kristine asks the reader to discover their own answers. Like John Izzo's book, "The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die," this book suggests that we truly live right now and leave no regrets. Waiting to share our deepest feelings is a gamble we cannot afford. No matter how long we have been in our relationships - whether they're brand new, or we've been with our partner for decades - we know that every moment together is a moment to be treasured. To love and to be loved is the greatest treasure of our lives. Certainly, Richard did not expect or intend to leave his wife. But his expressed love for her and how important that expression was, and is, is just as certain.

In a recent blog, Kristine Carlson shared a simple and yet very profound idea: Presence is a powerful thing. Living a fully-present life, based in gratitude is one of the basic tenets of positive psychology. To somehow decide to be grateful when the worst of all things is happening to us. To still be present for others and to not live in fear. To continue to move forward. These are the efforts that Richard and Kristine Carlson wish us to undertake right this second.

"All pain in life comes from wishing things were different than they are. So conversely, peace and happiness must come from accepting life as it is and breaking through the barriers of illusion to do so... All things that we label good or bad often hold in them surprises if we stay open. Each of us has choice in how we interpret life's events and in this way we are each responsible for our own reality." - Kristine Carlson

Richard Carlson's loving anniversary letter to his wife became a living example of gratitude to all of us. Positive psychology is much more than a science. It is the daily application of happiness to create the most successful life possible. Finding personal reasons to be grateful is a worthwhile, daily effort. For a valuable grounding exercise in gratitude, The Gratitude Letter, by well-known author Martin Seligman, please visit: [...]

As Richard and Kristine ask so beautifully in their book, Why are you waiting?

To your success! Dr. Success, Andrea Goeglein, Ph.D.
Expert in Positive Psychology and Executive Mentor