Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on February 16, 2012
The book started out well enough, but by the time I was half way through, I just didn't care any longer. It seemed apparent that the author was too busy trying to set up characters for a series of books than making this one worth reading.

Yes, I want character development, but this whole book was character development with a bit of a mystery thrown in with little thought to trying to capture the reader with the actual mystery.

Nothing that got so much play in the story, the fact that Drumm was previously a school teacher was given as a reason for him being assigned to the case, but that meant nothing. Emily is clearly a set up for the future, because she served no purpose to this storyline, nor did the gambling alcoholic or the whiny female detective who felt slighted because she had to do the grunt work. All took up a lot of story time... with absolutely no purpose in advancing the story along.

And I am sorry, a detective with some sort of defect that makes him prone to malapropisms? That's not style or character... that's annoying.

I kept waiting for the story to get intriguing and to really pull me in. It never did. I guess I am supposed to be curious about what comes next for Nicholas Drumm. But by the time I was done... I just didn't care any more.
on January 19, 2012
This is an entertaining mystery that kept me guessing. I thought I had the murderer figured out and the detective sergeant didn't know what he was doing. I was wrong.
The narrative has interesting perspectives from each of the characters, which gives depth to the story. However, the repetition, of the crime analyses and the thoughts of the main protagonist, underestimates the intelligence of the reader.
Another issue that stopped me from rating this book "loved it" is the annoying changes in verb tense. The writing often slips into what I believe is past progressive, i.e. "He was looking at the resultant clutter..." when "he looked" would have been better.
on September 17, 2012
This book was in my "recommended for you" screen the other day, so, on impulse, I bought it. There are some things to like here, but some things I didn't care for so much.

Detective Sergeant Drumm, our main character, is an interesting guy. He's got some fun quirks and it's interesting to watch him take this case on. The murder is nicely presented and the gathering of clues and such are okay. However, three things kept bothering me:

1. The detective and his police cohorts keep revealing way too much information to people they are interviewing. By telling people what they know, they foolishly give any Bad Guys the opportunity to either know in advance about the information they have or to make an alibi for themselves. That this happens repeatedly is a sign that the author may not be aware of it, which is bad.

2. The actual clues for the person whodunnit aren't actually revealed to the reader such that the reader could really figure out who it is with any sense of surety before the detective reveals who it is. We *see* all of the clues, but not enough of the information so that you can be steps ahead. Meh.

3. The interior dialog of the main characters (Drumm and detectives Singh and Wesson) is distracting and not very interesting.

Overall, I was able to finish the book and it was okay. But I don't think I'll look for this author going forwards.
on January 26, 2016
This was a very enjoyable police procedural--very well done, especially for a first effort.
The two main police characters are interesting as well as appealing. Their personal lives are important, but don't overpower the investigations.
I never try to figure out a mystery before the end; if the solution does come to me, I consider the author to be at fault. I didn't get this one until the author wanted me to.
Occasionally, the dialog is a little stiff, but not enough to distract me.
Editorially, this is a far cleaner piece of work than the vast majority of the Kindle books I have read in the past year. I did find a few editorial oddities, but not enough to get between me and the story.
In the Afterword, Anderson says he's embarrassed by much of this novel. I can't see why.
Not only do I recommend this book, but I'm already reading the next in the series.
on September 27, 2012
I 95% enjoyed this thriller. The lead detective is intriguing with his little social hang up. The female characters are strong and allowed to say what is on their mind. However it does seem like there's so much foreshadowing to the fact the author wants sequels that eventually you lose site of the novel itself. Case in point...Drumm has a proclivity to say an incorrect yet similar sounding word which brings some brevity to certain chapters; yet, towards the end of the book there are so many editing mistakes you don't know if these are the same.
on August 20, 2015
As detective novels go this is a pretty good one. The only critical thing I can say about this story, and maybe it is just me, is the repeated returns to question the "people of interest" which slowed the flow of the story. A little more action would have been nice. Other than that, I can still recommend this novel. Enjoy.
on December 21, 2012
In my world, a 5 star whodunit is comprise of not only an interesting puzzle to be solved, but also a theme that I find meaningful. An Indecent Death is strong in both of these areas.

Police officers have one of the highest divorce rates of any profession. Personal relationships are challenged by long and irregular hours, pressure for results, and dealing with the dregs of society on a daily basis. The novel's protagonist, Detective Sergeant Nicholas Drumm, finds himself in the midst of reconciling with his love interest when he is assigned to investigate the murder of a promiscuous 7th grade teacher.

Author David Anderson does an excellent job of subtly showing (rather than telling) how Drumm's profession impacts his personal life at a critical crossroads. We also experience Drumm's professional relationship with a female underling, and see his attitude evolve in a very believable way. As the son of a police detective, I was very impressed with the novel's feeling of authenticity.
on June 19, 2014
I believe this is the author's first novel, and it's a highly successful debut, in my opinion. For those who enjoy a series with a recurring cast of characters and an everyman do-good hero, this is the read for you. A la Michael Connelly's Bosch, or Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis, this book will present you with Canadian policeman, Detective Sergeant Nicholas Drumm of the York Violent Crimes Unit. The focus of the book is not so much on the horrendous crime as it is on piecing the many clues together in order to let justice prevail. Drumm, in this first book, is having trouble extricating himself from a romantic relationship with a somewhat neurotic partner. However, he can always turn to his faithful Sheltie pup for companionship! Drumm's character and personality quietly unfold and the reader comes to like and admire (and root) for him as he attempts to find the " bad guys". There are enough possibilities for the identity of the murderer to keep even veteran mystery readers guessing. The real enjoyment of this book lies in seeing the case unfold as the police procedural process works its magic. Stay tuned for at least two more books in this series, that are all available at a bargain price right here. (I gave this four stars as I have read the other books in the series and can only see the writing and character development getting better.) A big two thumbs up for David Anderson and his spot-on detective series, I'm hooked!
on July 8, 2014
Really enjoyed this book !!
The writer put all the clues right out there for everyone to see.......
And still managed to cover them with exciting verbage so that the end was exciting..... and what an end .. But you do NOT want me to share that.

BUY, ENJOY. !!!
on December 24, 2013
The ending was gift wrapped in just a couple of pages. Up to that time I did not know who it was, and I am not sure the explanation would have convicted the murderer in court.

But still I enjoyed it a lot and I would recommend it to others. Another reviewer said he felt the author was trying to set up for a series. So what? I have read a few series that I enjoyed and some I didn't. It is the skill with words that make or break a book. Of course a good idea doesn't go astray either. Go ahead, enjoy.