4.0 out of 5 stars The best basic level introduction, but overpriced
This is, hands down, the best book to take a rank beginner and introduce him or her to the science of linguistics. The price, however, has placed it out of reach of my introductory courses in linguistics. It's sad that such an important volume has become unavailable as a text in many courses.
Published on December 11, 2006 by John E. Mclaughlin

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
It took too long and I couldn't re-order it to speed it up.
Published 2 months ago by Kirk D. Fleming

4.0 out of 5 stars The best basic level introduction, but overpriced, December 11, 2006
John E. Mclaughlin (Brigham City, UT USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good textbook, Great comics, March 6, 2009
Luke "lukeeluke" (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
This is a really good intro to linguistics. It has all the key terms you need to know and is well written. However, the highlight for me are the comics that they received permission to use. They really lighten up the otherwise heavy reading and in some instances explain the linguistic concepts in even better terms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Intro/Intermediate Linguistics Book, September 22, 2008
soy.de (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
I started an MA program in Linguistics with a concentration in TESOL. The intro class required this text as its only text. The price on amazon.com was approx. $20 less than the bookstore/other store prices. It is a good value for the Amazon price.

Aesthetics: It's a softcover book so it will get wrinkled at some point. There are cartoons in the chapters that break up the text and illustrate some go points.

Info: The information is in an easy to comprehend format that is organized well. As you move on past morphology into syntax, the the info becomes more technical and complex. I suggest taking notes as you go so you can process the info better. The info is presented in a way that is as clear cut as they can get. My one gripe is that they constantly reference later chapters for info they bring up earlier.

Overall: If you need to get this for a linguistics course or as a supplement, it's a good deal. If you are just dabbling, beware that the book gets technical and slightly confusing at chapter 3 or 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read but full of information, September 23, 2008
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
I bought this book for a Linguistic Anthropology class as a junior in college. The book is very good in terms of content and information. It's not exactly an easy read though. This book is definitely more suited to Linguistic majors, NOT Anthropology majors, as it focuses much more on the linguistic thoughts and theories - i.e. phonology, morphology, syntax, grammaticality, etc whereas my Anthro class was, of course, more concerned with the cultural aspects and effects of language.

5.0 out of 5 stars used FRH, June 10, 2014
Terry D. Klafehn (Hilton, New York, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
New editions of this text are unreasonably priced. This used edition came promptly and in condition described. I loan used editions to the students I teach.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, May 23, 2013
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
this was a very interesting book I never was into language like this before. I recommend this book for english teachers

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, October 16, 2013
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
This a book that I needed for my college class. So far it is quite good and interesting. : )

5.0 out of 5 stars just awesome .., April 2, 2011
Shibamouli Lahiri (State College, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
It's a fantastic book .. Authors explained difficult linguistic concepts with an easy-to-follow language, appropriate examples and an almost foolproof style. Inimitable, no holds barred, and highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book in my first year at university, November 15, 2014
Alanna L. Lewis (Trinidad and Tobago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
Loved this book in my first year at university. You get a clear understanding of the field of linguistics. And I was totally ignorant at that age/time. Lent it to someone and it was never returned. Now I'm going to get it back even if I have to buy it used.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, October 15, 2014
This review is from: An Introduction to Language (Paperback)
I love this book, and I still have this one with me. It gives a very good over view of what language is about. I really enjoyed reading this.

An Introduction to Language
An Introduction to Language by Nina Hyams (Paperback - May 31, 2006)
Used & New from: $1.23