Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on June 6, 2011
I do owe this book for regularly using the words "fist" and "fisting" to describe the act of grabbing something and making a fist around it. The first time I read it, it was in a sentence like: "She reached into his pants and began fisting him frantically." I immediately began a semi-hysterical laughing fit that I'm sure my airplane seatmate appreciated. Soon I figured out (with lines like "she fisted his hair") that the author meant not what everybody else means by "fisting," but something more innocent. Fortunately, something is "fisted" in virtually every scene so you have plenty of chances to figure it out.

Unfortunately, that moment of uncontrollable laughter was about the only enjoyment I got from this book. The plot is like a mixture of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dune, but with all the goodness left out. Here is what you'll get: Sexy vampire hunters with no weaknesses; many, many silly made-up words from a supposed alien species (if in doubt, put a apostrophe in the word -- that makes it "exotic"); vampires who can't control their passion and are tortured by their love; emperors and stargates; a character named "Bram," and lots of vampire sex featuring words like "lave."

I wish the author had spent a little more time creating an believable alien species and a plot that justified all the made-up words, as well as a female main character who wasn't such a uninspired Mary Sue. We get it, okay -- she's the sexiest, smartest, and strongest person in the room. She can sword-fight and do a strip tease. Also, she's the only hope for the survivial of the species. Fine. It seems like a lot of nonsense scaffolding to justify some vampire sex scenes that -- frankly -- those of us who presumably made up the target audience would have read without all the poorly thought-out sci-fi fluff.

Also, phrases like "She pushed it from her mind like an unwelcome suitor" should be limited to once per book. This appeared at least twice and there have to be multiple ways to express that thought.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2011
okay look i went into this book like oh its free cool .. um no. I should have been paid to read this crap ... look it was an okay story - i was willing to sit through the weird vampire/alien storyline because the love scenes were so hot ... heres the problem. Go order ciana stone's - all in time ... i'll wait ... did you read it ? notice something !? ME TOO MS. STONE ... seems like you know one sex scene so you just thought let's repeat it in another book and no one will know .. well i know and it really grinds my gears that you literally went word for word for the scenes .. i mean come on how hard is it to say something other than ' he fisted her hair ' .... ' she fisted her hands ' .. ' he pushed the thought from his mind like an unwanted suitor ' WTF its ridiculous look it up folks word for word different characters and you know what ms. stone? i feel like you really just cheated .. next time email me and i'll give you some different words to use since obviously you have no talent for diversification. amazon should pay us for editing you work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2010
I greatly enjoyed this story. I've read various background theories (in fictional stories) on the origins of Vampyre - this was a fresh slant. And using a journal as a means to bring in pertinent historical information was a great touch, and much less confusing than other methods I've read.

Besides the interesting story line that develops the characters of Constantine and Resa and moves them through the action, there are several scenes of unabashed, hot sex. Whew! I needed a fan while reading this one. ~grin~

Can't wait to read future stories about Octavian and Leonidas.
on December 5, 2010
I loved the development of the supernatural characters though all of the sex scenes seemed to get in the way of the story. Now, I know that hearing of those scenes might sell these two stories to a new reader, but they interfered with my enjoyment as I started out wondering who the heck we were dealing with, a vampire or a werewolf or a zombie or what, and had to page through the sexual interludes to get to that resolution!! The sex scenes kept rearing their heads up right as I was getting into what I was reading the story for in the first place. Now, why would I give these stories 4 stars (really only 3 1/2 stars, but I don't know how to do that)? Because the way the supernatural characters were developed was different and that is A-OK with me. I read these stories for the fantasy and sci fi aspects and sex scenes are not conducive to that. As short stories without those scenes, these books would have been five stars.
on October 31, 2010
So, this book is not on the Anne Rice side of Vampire "stories"-
but more along the lines of Stephanie Meyer's 'Twilight' to me (and I love both authors)-
the passion, the need for understanding from one species to another- etc, etc.

Over-all I found myself not wanting to put this read down....
love the fact that it was written in "journal entries".
And, it was free- doesn't get much better than that!
on February 22, 2011
The story behind the sex could have been a great story, a twist on the classic vampire tale that involves romance, betrayal, etc.. However, the sex scenes completely dominate the book leaving little room for the story to develop. **Spoiler Alert** The book in a nutshell is fight, weird transition, sex, girl leaving, sex, fight, girl disappearing, sex, talk, sex, fight, girl disappearing,etc, etc, the end. After the first couple of sex scenes I just starting skipping chapters. I don't usually write review and read all types of books, but this one just bugged me. Don't get me wrong, it had the premise for a good story with a little bit of romance/mystery/sci-fi thrown in but the lack of development prevented me from wanting to read further into the series. This book doesn't really fall into any other vampire categories, not enough danger to be close to Anne Rice and not enough mystery and romance to be close to the Twilight series.
on May 29, 2011
I only made it half way through this book, and I couldn't read anymore. There was a little too much history of the species in the beginning and little of the actual characters interacting and getting to know each other. Not to mention I learned very little about Resa and Constantine before the book heats up. I didn't understand how the girl hates the vamprye, sets out to kill him, and then jumps in the sack with him so quickly. I like a little sexual tension between characters, and not just bumping and grinding. A little too rushed for my liking. The sex scenes were a little akward. It felt as if I was looking in on two complete strangers having animalistic sex. Don't get me wrong, I love raunchy sex scenes but they need to be between characters that have actual chemistry. I didn't feel any heat from either Resa or Constantine. I do, however, commend the author for her attempt at writing. She has a very good imagination and even though I did not like this book, I like the fact that she invented a whole different name for 'vampyres' and races. This book sadly was not to my liking though.
on January 2, 2012
Though this was a free read, I was hesitant to try it due to the low ratings. Now that I've finished the book, which was very good, I understand the mixed reviews. First, this book was promoted as an erotic vampire story which was very misleading. This was more erotic Sci-Fi, fantasy. The vampires in the book reminded me of Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series. They weren't true vampires, just aliens from the galaxy, Shadallah, that were more technologically advanced than humans.

Second, though this was about 200 pages on my nook, I'd classify it as a difficult read. There were 3 different groups (races) of aliens at war. The D'Harahn were the telekinetic, shape shifting Purebloods. The Valians were shape shifting warriors with incredible speed. The Nurians had mind control powers. These 3 races were here on earth fighting amongst themselves and against the Alliance, humans fighters that hunted alien vamps. There was a lot of detail to grasp in such a short read. For instance, the sexy hero of this story was Constantine whose title was, Constantine Belenus of the DHarahn, Heir Apparent to the Throne of Shadallah, and crown prince of V'Kar. Everyone in the book seamed to have titles like that and I found myself glazing over them instead of trying to remember them. Not to mention there were a symbiotic race called the Vox Narr, that could attach itself to the alien vampires. If you can get past all of what I just described and not be turned off by the amount of Sci-Fi, then I highly recommend this read.

I am not a reader of Sci-Fi and I like for the characters in a story to have easy names that I can remember. I enjoyed this book once I got past all of the crazy titles and allowed myself to get wrapped up in the love story. The plot was really good, not cookie cutter at all and the love scenes were off the charts erotic. The story doesn't wrap up in the end so I do expect and hope for a sequel cause I really want to know how this all works out for Constantine and Vampiresa as they fight for his throne.
on January 19, 2011
I have a great love for any vampire story which is why I downloaded this one. It took me by surprise when I realized it was not your typical vampire story. As it turned out that made me like it more. The chemistry between the 2 main charaters was amazing. While I found the journal entries a little hard to follow, I understood their purpose & it didnt detract from the story. I really do hope that she continues on with this series, I'd like to see where the story goes from here.
on June 27, 2011
If you like very descriptive sex scenes, this is the book for you. The rest of it was confusing with too much allegory and you really never did figure out if the main character was a vampire or what (??). **SPOILER** I assume there will be a sequel since the ending left us hanging with a pregnancy but I'm not sure I'll get it. Maybe if it's free. :)