5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy - Well Made in the USA - June 2012
It seems that its been a while since a review of this toy has been written that has been deemed helpful by the Amazon.com community. Hopefully this review will help out future buyers.

Published on July 3, 2012 by N M

3.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy manufacturing
Published on September 16, 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy - Well Made in the USA - June 2012, July 3, 2012
N M (St Louis Park, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)

I purchased this cube in June of 2012 from Amazon.com. The cube was delivered via Amazon Prime via FedEx 2-Day service. The cardboard box arrived in very good shape. On the outside of the box there was a sticker that had a picture of the cube on it, and it stated that the cube was made with non-toxic paints and Made in the USA.

Assembly was easy. The box is in essence two parts (the top and sides), with the screws holding the two main peaces together. As others have noted in their reviews there was one packing flaw - a single screw was missing. I had a screw that worked just fine in my toolbox and I was able to get my 15-month old playing with the toy in no time.

The cube seems very well made and robust - there has already been some heavy tugging on the wires on the top with no wear and tear on the wires or the cube itself. The toy can keep my child going for 30 minutes or so, which can seem like a pleasant eternity.

To make a long story short - I'd purchase this toy again and would highly recommend it to anyone with a child they'd like to keep entertained.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy manufacturing, September 16, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
First off, the short version: if you're not comfortable enough with tools to fix what's wrong with this toy, don't buy it. That, or check the packaging and product carefully -- if it claims a 2007 manufacture date and says it was made in China, or if on inspection you see anything wrong, pack it back up and return it as defective. At least some versiosn of this thing are at best poorly made and fragile, and at worst dangerous.

I'm not going to address the fun or educational aspects of this toy, just the manufacturing issues some have reported. Bought one for my daughter in September 2009. It arrived in a box prominently labeled "Made in China" and with a claimed manufacture date in 2007. Whatever factory in China accepted Anatex's outsourcing contract hasn't yet mastered quality control, because there were quite a number of manufacturing defects:

Imprecise assembly: fasteners and brackets are not accurately placed, causing parts to be loose or misaligned. This is most evident on the bead maze on the top and the "abacus" sliding-bead panel on the side, which is mounted on four stand-off brackets. Mount those brackets in the wrong places and the screws used to attach the panel either won't reach or will be under enough strain they'll pull out (it's very soft pine, and screw threads easily pull loose.) Up on the bead maze, some of the wire ends are mounted crooked, resulting in the wires actually touching or just passing so close to one another that the beads can't pass by.

Mismatched, incorrect parts choices: speaking of that panel, one of the screws used to mount it was the incorrect size, and had not only pulled loose but was loose in the box when I unpacked it; it doesn't match any of the others used with identical mountings, nor does it match any other screw found on the entire unit. There's no excuse for that one short of basic incompetence combined with inadequate or nonexistent quality control.

Incorrect gluing: Once again with the abacus panel -- it's held together with glue. Nothing wrong with that if it's done right, but it wasn't -- see, to make a good glue joint you need clean surfaces, a lot of contact area and a proper amount of glue inbetween, plus a good pressure fit while the glue dries. Well, the surfaces were clean and the joint more or less correctly designed, but the glue was _missing_. What was holding it together? A dab of red paint around the corner. Splendid. Paint ain't adhesive, guys, and the whole point of a glue joint is you put some actual _glue_ in there somewhere. As it was, two of the four joints had popped open, causing the rods to dislodge from their sockets and scarring the surface. Those beads are small enough to be a choking hazard if they get loose, so having those glue joints work is important.

Inadequate torque: Ah, the gift that keeps on giving. About a third of the screws and other fasteners in the unit were loose because they hadn't been torqued down hard enough. Another third had stripped the threads out of the soft wood, because they'd been torqued too hard. The remaining third were in a magical inbetween state which might even have been correct torque -- but I suspect it's just coincidence. As I mentioned, this is soft wood, and proper torque matters. (n.b. for nonmechanical types: "torque" roughly means "how hard you twist the screws.")

What else was wrong? Well, there were plenty of inexplicable gouges, scrapes and dings on the surface, even though it was properly packed and nothing in the box had a chance to impact the surface. Plenty of people have commented on that -- it means the factory in China that produced them was working too fast and/or wasn't well tooled for the job, so parts were being thrown around.

So, should you buy this toy? Well, chances are your kid(s) will love it. So if you want one, fine, but be prepared to inspect it very thoroughly when it comes out of the box. Test every screw to ensure it's snug and not loose or stripped. Pop the little plastic caps off the axles on the gear side and check that the locking washers are tight. Check the glue joints and be prepared to spend a little time gluing and clamping. Check both ends of every wire in the bead maze to ensure they're firmly stuck in their mounting holes. Go over all the many dings, gouges and scrapes and smooth out the splintered bits. Find any screws that don't look like they match their companions, gently unscrew them and if they're too short or too fine-pitched in the threads, replace them. While you're at it, attach something heavy to the lower edges on the inside, because it's top-heavy and will tip over the first time your child tries to use it to stand up. Think of it like a toy for both you and your child -- you get a fun evening in the garage fixing everything Anatex's manufacturer did wrong, while showering curses on the consumer-hostile side effects of globalized manufacturing. Then when you're done, your child gets a fun thing to play with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great toy but not pleased with overall purchase, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
We purchased this for our 2 year olds birthday gift. It is a great cube - very entertaining and our child loves it. That said - the cube arrived missing the screws and a very important bolt that holds it together. We had to purchase screws from a local hardware store and at this time cannot find a replacement bolt. I contacted the manufacturer (per Amazon policy)and basically cannot get a reply.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, February 5, 2011
A Kid's Review
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
My son received this toy as a birthday present. The beads were damaged to the point where I needed to saw some of them off so they wouldn't injure my children. The paint is horrible. Over all this is a horrible toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made product!, January 17, 2013
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
My son received this cube as a Christmas gift and he immediately loved it. However, one of the screws was not properly attached and was a choking hazard so we had to return it. When we received the replacement, not only was the same screw not attached, but we also noticed that two of the number blocks were installed out of order. We had to send it back again and did not ask for another replacement. We will bring our business elsewhere in search of a better product. This was very disappointing not only because how much my son loved it but also because its made in the USA and we expected much higher quality. Do not buy this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Long Lasting Toy, January 15, 2009
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
So my little man will be turning 2 years old in just 11 days! I am by no means ready for that, as it just makes him that much closer to going to preschool, grade school,highschool , college, and then leaving me for another woman! I know I am overreacting and him growing up is just what is supposed to happen but he is my first and I am his mama!

Okay so before I start going to old photos and reminiscing about his baby days I wanted to post about this great toy that we bought him for his 1st Birthday. I got the idea for it because they always have these contraptions at doctors offices and I remember having one when I was little. I searched the stores with no luck as the ones they offered were cheaply made and did not look very stimulating. Then I checked out Amazon.com which of course has everything! Amazon.com had many of these play cubes available but this one really caught my eye. It is from Anatex and it is still one of my son's favorite toys.

It has 4 full sides of toys and of course the cool mini rollercoaster on the top. The four sides include:

* pathfinder- you have to move a peg around a maze
* counting abacus- different colored beads you move back and forth
* fun gears- different colored gears that you just move around
* the alphabet- each letter is on a piece of wood that flips over and shows a picture that the letter represents

The ages on this toy are 36 months-5years (I know I bought it early but it is fine for him) and the suggested retail price is $299.99, but you can see below Amazon sells it for around a $100. The size of it is also nice as it measures 17 x 17 x 33 inches so it is perfect to sit or stand and play, and you can place it on a table or the floor. It is hollow inside and very easy to move around. My favorite feature though is that it is made of high quality wood, not plastic or cheap scrap wood. Also, another awesome feature is that there are NO Stickers and the paint is non-toxic. I have so many toys that the stickers have fallen off and been eaten and left the toy looking cheap and with all the recalls lead paint is always a worry.

A little a bit about the company Anatex. They were actually the first company to manufacture and distribute Rollercoaster wire bead maze frames in the US and North America and ever since they strive to make high quality toys with great service. Anatex is a Parent's Choice Gold Winner and has received many more awards for its unique and innovative toys.

Okay so I did do a lot of research about this toy and these play cubes last year when I bought it because I was a new mom who only wanted the best and more educational toys. This toy proved to be both for me and my son and with it being so nice and so far able to withstand his rough playing I believe it is going to be a long lasting toy in our family. So if you do not have a toy similar or you are looking for some ideas here you go. They do run much cheaper and now they do offer more of a selection in retail stores, but when I bought it this was definitely the best for its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticker problem fixed, December 18, 2007
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
After reading many reviews about the stickers falling off and looking at other cubes, I decided this toy was worth it even without the stickers. I was surprised when it arrived to see that the manufacturer corrected this problem. There are no stickers on the gears, but instead the pattern is painted on. My son loves this toy and overall it was a GREAT buy.

EDIT: We have owned this toy for nearly a year since my review and it is still a hit and has held up. My son is a very rough player and has abused the cube beyond belief but it still looks like new.

5.0 out of 5 stars December 2014 - This Product is back to being high quality - Different than in the photos, December 11, 2014
Length:: 1:05 Mins

I created a video because there was no option for me to add photos to my edited review. So be sure to check that out (more of a photo slideshow.)

As of 12/10/2014 this product is being made to a high quality standard. There's a bunch of reviews over time so it gets confusing. Apparently the item was made in the USA, China, and now back in the USA. I had concerns about the quality before buying it. Primarily safety concerns with wood splinters and screws that stick out.

My item showed up tonight and they have countersunk all of the screw holes. All of the wood edges are safe. Everything is solidly mounted to the box. The area with the flip blocks is made of a single piece of thick plywood now which is a better design than in the photos.

The only thing I had to do to it was carefully hand bend some of the rails on the top so the beads would have a better path of travel. Attaching the top to the box requires installing four screws with a phillips screwdriver. The plywood that the box is made of is high quality, so they were actually hard to screw in. It required a lot of torque and I was concerned that either the screws were going to break or the wood was going to split. Neither happened in my case and it's together, safe and sound. I just want to alert anyone that buys this to take their time. Pre-drilling pilot holes with a small drill bit may be a good idea if you're extra particular and don't want to take chances with the put-together.

This is a top quality product though, so I wanted to relieve any old fears from previous reviewers. What do I like about this product comparing it to similar products from different makers? The railing up top is complex so it should be pretty fun for kids. The designs on the gears are painted on as opposed to stickers. It's just designed to a higher level of quality than any of the other activity centers I saw. The bottom is hollow and it has no 'feet' so I may add some rubber feet down there. You could sit it over a stool or something if you wanted to save space that way in the kid's bedroom. I bought this as a Christmas present for my 3 month old daughter. She'll hopefully enjoy it once she's a bit older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in USA, no more stickers, it's been improved, December 28, 2007
CA or Bust (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
Just got mine on December 28, 2007. Don't know if previous versions were made in China, but mine has "Made in USA" written on the packaging as opposed to the versions received by other reviewers. Further, mine has ink (nontoxic as stated on the box) on the gears rather than stickers as has been used on previous iterations. I tried scraping the ink off, but it seems pretty durable. This is a great activity cube. Maybe Anatex got the message and made improvements on past complaints. If this is the case, kudos to them! Needs a good cleaning to get the dust off, but this is par for a toy implementing wood. Amazon Prime rocks - overnight shipping for this big toy was only $3.00!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not high quality, December 15, 2008
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube (Toy)
Shipping was fast from the seller... The item wasn't as high of quality as I was expecting. It had screws loose (one had fallen completely out). It is hollow in the center with no bottom and the moveable colored pegs on the side are in there all floppy and are not very easily moved around. I don't think this cube is anywhere near worth the cost the retailers are charging for it.

Anatex Deluxe Mini Play Cube