4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!
Published on June 12, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best resource for your MONEY!
Published on September 1, 2003 by Girleen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, June 12, 2004
By A Customer
I would give this book 5 stars, except that its a "For Dummies" series book, so I want to caution that its not really as simple a book as one might expect from the "Dummies" series (for me personally, that alone would rank it another star!). Its really an excellent review resource. The author helps to make the subject and facts palatable and offers excellent tips throughout to remember and keep information straight (for example: think catastrophic when you hear catabolic, and you'll never forget that catabolic reactions break things down!). I've been out of school for 15 years and needed a refresher. This worked wonderfully well for that! However, if you expect to breeze thru this book like other Dummies books I've read, you'll be disappointed. But if its help that you need in learning, digesting and remembering A & P material, or if perhaps you're returning to school and need to refresh your memory of this material again, you should love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and clever, December 28, 2002
Any book that describes cells as "private clubs" and that "molecules better be well dressed to get in" and that ribosomes are the "bouncers who keep them out" should get six-stars in my opinion.
Brilliant writing, clever imagery, and excellent use of humor. I have no interest in much of this stuff but I couldn't put the book down. A must read for any nursing/science student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for community college students, December 12, 2003
James R. Nuttall (East Lansing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Too frequently students today only read science writing in textbooks. This frequently turned students off of science. I recommended reading the "For Dummy..." series in science, since generally it represents good science writing. Most students don't even know they're such a thing is good science writing.
I recommended this book to my daughter who was taking a community college anatomy and physiology course. This book didn't go into the depth of her textbook, but the college textbook was generally boring and overly complicated. One could spend hour upon hour upon on a few pages of the textbook, which would've been OK if you wanted to be a premed student. If you feel your biology background isn't strong use this book. Also the book is much more interesting than a college textbook and will help to cement the ideas in your mind. It is not a substitute for college textbook. However, it is good to read something entertaining and comprehensible. Then read your textbook. I agree with the one reviewer that it's not set up like a study guide. Most college textbooks in anatomy and physiology now come with online study guides. Take advantage of online studying it really helps. This book is set up like an entertaining read on anatomy and physiology. I read it and found it interesting/enjoyable. I like good science writing and Donna Rae Siegfried is definately a knowledgeable good science writer. Even if you are a good student, read this book to improve your own ability to write science essays in a comprehensible manner. Again if you are looking for a study guide with all the answers for your test, this is not the book. Use the online study guides for that. But this book will make you glad you wanted to study anatomy and physiology. Highly recommended for nursing students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference for anatomy and physiology, March 3, 2003
By A Customer
This is a great book for students of Anatomy and Physiology having trouble comprehending the information in regular college textbooks. This is book helped me understand concepts that were hard to understand in regular textbooks. I am a massage student and used this book along with Anatomy and Physiology Study Guide: Key Review Questions and Answers with Explanations (Vol 1) (Vol 2) (ISBN: 0971999619)(ISBN: 0971999627),which is sold also on amazon.com and got A's in my A and P classes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Resource, Sometimes a Little Overwhelming., June 29, 2011
This review is from: Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:
This book is very informative. I learned interesting Anatomy/Physiology facts within minutes. The authors do a good job of explaining the different functions and systems of the body.

Also, the pictures in the color section are very well done. The titles of these drawings are as follows: Major Bones of the Skeleton, Muscular System, Skin (Cross Section), Nervous System, Glands of the Endocrine System, Heart, Arterial Components of the Circulatory System, Respiratory System, Structures of the Respiratory Membrane, Digestive System, Stomach, Urinary System, Kidney and Nephron, Lymphatic System, Reproductive System (Female and Male), and Prenatal Development.

It is useful that each section mentions diseases associated with the specific system being discussed. In chapter 15, there is a good chart showing a quick view of age-related changes in the body, broken up by system. It goes further than just listing symptoms, it gives the implications of each change.

This book even goes into reproduction and labor/delivery (both sections surprisingly omitted by another anatomy book that I considered buying in the past).

Cons:
Some information and language used can be on the technical side, making it hard to follow for a "dummy." I also wish that the color photos were contained within the corresponding chapter instead of being grouped into one area (in the middle) of the book.

In conclusion, I find this book to be another great addition to the Dummies series. However, be sure to READ the introduction. This part helps to give valuable recommendations on how to fully digest this wealth of information without becoming too overwhelmed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best resource for your MONEY!, September 1, 2003
Definitely not worth your money. I purchased this book thinking I would be helping myself out but instead this was a waste of time. Her over uses of jargons made the book overly confusing. After reading others reviews I thought I would be getting a swell book but to my surprise if I could I would return it for a refund but it has highlighting already. Instead of getting this useless book get Anatomy and Physiology Made Incredibly Easy! (Made Incredibly Easy. I purchased both of these books and I found that Anatomy and Physiology Made Incredibly Easy! (Made Incredibly Easy was a better studying tool. This book was helpful because the main points were clearly posted and study tips were included in each section. Unlike Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies(r) the author got to the point and made reading and comprehension of the material easily digestible. There are some okay features about the book but it would be a waste to get a book that didn't meet your expectations. I'm sure you can get what is in Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies(r) from summary section of your text book. Nothing new to offer or get overly excited.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Intro, but not useful for students, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I do a lot of tutoring, and rarely use the "Dummies" series of books, because I feel there are many good (better) resources out there. But I recently started tutoring a young adult returning to college, and after he passes biology and chemistry, he is going to face A&P I and II. While I have a very strong background in biology and chemistry, I never took A&P (on purpose). I wanted to start making myself familiar with the subject matter, and picked up this Physiology for Dummies book.

I was disappointed at the lack of color pictures. Color printing is expensive, of course, so the pictures are limited to a few pages at the center of the book. (For this purpose, I much prefer any used textbook...page after page of color pictures.)

And while it is supposed to be a somewhat simplified introduction to A&P, I found that they often left complicated terms unexplained. (Again, a decent used textbook has a good glossary.)

I recently picked up a second "Dummies" book, and was again disappointed. (So it does not appear to just be this book that falls short...) I suggest flipping through the book (Amazon's nice Look Inside feature) and also making sure you have a used A&P textbook on hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Read, July 24, 2006
Chapter 7 on the nervous system was helpful along with the other chapters on the skin, muscles and urinary systems. This book explains anatomy and physiology in a very simple fashion, making it easier to digest. This book is a good review. The writhing was easy to comprehend.

Another good book which I found helpful for test preparation was Patrick Leoanrdi's Anatomy and Physiology Study Guide:

Key Review Questions and Answers with Explanations--- Volumes 1 ,2 & 3. The questions in these volumes were on target with what I needed to prepare for in the exams in my college.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for Kindle, September 11, 2012
The Kindle edition does not come with the pictures to which the text constantly refers. There are some hand-drawn illustrations throughout the text in the Kindle edition, but the printed version comes with some in-depth pictures to which the text constantly refers the reader for reference. The text reads well, and the book is a descent complement to a textbook. However, without the pictures to reference, the Kindle edition is worthless as a stand-alone source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just may help me pass my anatomy class, October 9, 2009
It's been 30 years since I was in a classroom, and I'm back to school working on a Health Information Mgmt degree. After attending my first basic anatomy lecture I walked out with my head spinning, ready to give up. What language was he speaking? The textbook helped some but it was full of jargon and I still didn't really understand. The Dummies books had always helped me out before (learning Access, public speaking, etc), so I was relieved when I found this book. I immediately read chapter 3 (Forming your Foundation), and it gave me the basics I needed to understand the textbook and lecture. Now, the night before a scheduled lecture, I read the corresponding chapter, and it's so much easier to follow. Oddly enough, Anatomy is now my favorite class.

This is not a replacement for a textbook, but if it's been awhile and you need to get back up to speed for an anatomy class, I highly recommend this book.

Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies
Anatomy and Physiology For Dummies by Donna Rae Siegfried (Paperback - May 3, 2011)
$24.99 $13.98