5.0 out of 5 stars awesome a&p book
Published on October 31, 2011 by Kimberly

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much difference between editions
I used the previous (7th) edition and got an "A" in my online Anatomy and Physiology class. From what I could tell, there was no difference between the cheaper 7th edition and the ridiculously priced 8th edition except for the picture on the cover!

Published on July 9, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much difference between editions, July 9, 2010

I gave the book three stars because it was unclear and lacked details in so many areas that it left me confused. I had to clarify a lot of issues by looking them up online.

I resold my book after I was finished with it for the same amount of money I paid for it so all it cost me was the initial shipping fee.

FYI - I quit buying books at my campus bookstore after the first semester and have saved over $1000.00 so far, just by buying used, previous editions.

The latest ploy these unscrupulous bookstores use is to package up a bunch of useless items with the necessary textbook and sell the "bundle" at an outrageous price. It is criminal.

I always ask the instructors before hand what other materials are required and if I can use the previous edition. 99 percent of the time they tell me the ONLY thing I need is the textbook and the previous edition is OK. Occasionally a professor will insist on the current edition and I still save a ton of money buying it used on Amazon.com. When I am finished, I re-sell them and usually get all my money back!

We need to get the word out about the college bookstore textbook scams! It is an OUTRAGE!

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so book, fantastic electronic resources, December 23, 2009
Stephanie (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
The book was alright. I found myself reaching for other Anatomy & Physiology textbooks to find more multiple choice questions to prepare for exams. I bought my textbook used -- which did not come with the atlas -- I regret not having the atlas while I was studying the bones in my anatomy class.

The Interactive Physiology(IP) DVD was absolutely invaluable to my physiology course. My professor did a poor job lecturing and this made up for it. I don't think I ever would have understood the immune system without IP. Worksheets are available with each body system covered in IP. Although helpful, they took FOREVER to complete, on average 10 hours.

Practice Anatomy Lab (2.0) was also a very helpful interactive DVD that helped me prepare for anatomy practicums. It was great being able to roll over a cadaver and have names of various muscles, veins, and arteries pop up.

My prof is a reviewer for the publisher and unfortunately solely relied on the publisher's test bank for our physiology exams. They are poorly worded and confused "A" students to the point where "C" was a very common grade in our class.

Best of luck to you!

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent explanations, but shallow content, April 6, 2011
I have found myself consistently emailing my professor with questions because Marieb skips out on detail. I have also been consulting my gray's anatomy textbook because this textbook lacks the structures I need to study in lab. At times the author will list components, and either summarize them with a single sentence, or just list them with no elaboration.

-For instance, when discussing cells found in connective tissue the book says "masts cells and macrophages are so important to overall body defense that they deserve brief mention here" and lists three chemicals found in mast cells, with a single sentence describing each chemical. If mast cells are so important, why not follow this up with a brief explanation of *how these three chemicals work together*? What is most incredible that this section of text is IDENTICAL to the FOURTH EDITION with NO FURTHER ELABORATION! Why jump through four new editions without revising the book to offer better content?
-Another fine example of lack of elaboration is found in the section describing the ultrastructure and molecular composition of myofilaments. I quote, "Other proteins that act to bind filaments or sarcomeres together and maintain their alignment include nebulin, myomesin, and C proteins." The text then cuts to a section titled "Sarcoplasmic Reticulum and T-Tubules" and fails to provide any other information surrounding these compounds.

I think the Tortora A&P textbook does a better job of presenting a complete picture of the human body that is appropriate for the undergrad level, giving more detailed explanations, as well as providing more examples of homeostasis vs dysfunction. It presents many more clinically relevant facts to bring about further insight and interest within the reader. The images are equal if not superior to Marieb's. I will be selling my copy of Marieb's and sticking with Tortora for the second semester of A&P. I don't have the time or money to waste jumping from book to book. A well written text like Tortora does not assume "They'll learn that in X class."

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome a&p book, October 31, 2011
I'm a nursing student and took 3 quarters worth of A&P before I got into my program. This is the book that was used in all three of my A&P classes. I read the majority of the chapters and found the text to be very student friendly. Explanations were pretty clear to me. Many things were explained using illustrations which were broken down into steps which I found helpful.

If you get the book new, there should be a code which you can scratch off that allows you to register on the text's website to access online content. My copy of the book came with an Interactive Physiology CD, which I found to be extremely helpful in explaining certain concepts. I also received a Human Body atlas that had pictures of bones, organ systems, and different types of tissues. I bought my book from the campus bookstore though, so it all came in a pack. If you want the CD and atlas as well, there is a seperate listing/page for it here on Amazon. I highly reccommend getting them, especially the CD.

If your A&P class is using this text, I would say it's a good one and would reccommend it. My professors based their powerpoint slides off of the text and I felt that I learned a lot after three terms of A&P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved lots of money!, October 1, 2009
The book came quickly and was in excellent condition. I love the illustrations, and the text is easy to read. All vocabulary words are higlighted and defined as part of the text. The book also has a great online resource where the student can take practice quizzes and play learning games. I love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some in the text, March 11, 2011
I used this text as a first year college instructor. Over the course of our two semesters together, my students and I came across several mistakes in the text. Every chapter of the test bank that accompanied the text had several mistakes which made test preparation particularly difficult for me as a first time instructor. The power-point presentations had a few mistakes as well. The online resources I thought were excellent, particularly the Interactive Physiology and the practice quizzes. This text provides fairly in depth explanations of most topics although some sections were easier to follow than others. My students found the coverage of respiratory system and urinary systems particularly difficult to follow. By the end of the year I found myself wanting to investigate other possible resources to utilize in future classes. A seasoned instructor might have been able to dodge the inconsistencies (particularly in the test bank) more easily than I was able to. For the most part it is a pretty good text and in a way the inconsistencies that we came across generated as many learning experiences as they did frustrations for both myself and my students .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good textbook for the subject, February 1, 2011
I used this book over a year ago for Anatomy & Physiology I & II as assigned by my professor. I sold it when I was finished with the courses and now regret it. I am studying for the TEAS test for nursing and believe it or not I am buying this book all over again even though the price is so expensive. It's the only thing that will really help me study well for the science portions (minus physics, geology, etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Text Book, February 22, 2010
I'm currently taking a human anatomy class and a physiology class concurrently. This is the required text book for the physiology class. While human anatomy requires a different text, i often refer to this text over the required anatomy text book. This text book is more detailed and well organized. It also includes great resources that will be sure to get you a good grade in the class. Well worth the $$.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good A&P book, June 22, 2009
This products is worth the money. Always cheaper on amazon.com than in your schools book store. Came with CD and Atlas.

4.0 out of 5 stars great text for a & p - it was required, October 7, 2010
this was a required text for my a & p class. the contents are clear and to the point (i find alot of text books are not lately). it's pretty easy to study from. it is heavy - be ready to break your back. it has an online guide also. you have to register the book to access it. read the material, go online for practice quizes and tests. the online material also has an animated teaching program - so if your a visual and audio learner it is very helpful!

Human Anatomy &Physiology Plus MasteringA&P with eText -- Access Card Package (8th Edition)
Used & New from: $8.79