5.0 out of 5 stars people here must not have any knowledge of ancestry.com
Published on January 12, 2012 by Lindsey

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the browser version
I'd rather use the browser version of ancestry.com. For those shocked to find this site has a membership fee...it's worth it if you do much family research. For those upset to see their info made public - go to ancestry.com and set your tree to Private.
Published on July 12, 2012 by Zagataur1210

5.0 out of 5 stars people here must not have any knowledge of ancestry.com, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
I could see if you had never had any dealings with ancestry.com before that you could think that this app was completely free. However, to rate this app negatively because of this misinformation or lack of experience/knowledge is just plain unfair. As someone who has been a member of ancestry.com for years and just downloaded this app today, I can tell you that it is amazing! My tree is pretty large, and this makes navigating it so easy! I have had limited dealings with it so far, but I dare to say that it appears to be even easier than accessing the web version on my computer. I pay for the more expensive international version of ancestry.com which is nearly $35 a month I think (discounted if you buy a year at a time), so when I saw that people were expecting to have access to MILLIONS of records for free because of this app I was boggled. Yes ancestry.com is expensive, but it is a fraction of the cost that it would take to buy a plane ticket to go to any of the counties where your ancestors were from and get the information yourself (not to mention the price that county offices or historical societies charge to make copies of the documents which can be up to $1 a page for unofficial records and up to $25 for birth, marriage, and death certificates in my experience). They don't have all of the documents and records that I have needed by a long shot, but they have only been running for 10 years I think, and get new documents added to their archives every day. The person who was critical and stated that all ancestry.com does is take a lifetime of your research and give it to everyone else is totally missing the mark. First of all, you can make your profile private so that no one else can look at or gain access to your tree. Secondly, making your information public is just good karma. I have run into countless people who have been willing to share their information with me because I share information with them. These people who have researched the same family lines are obviously distant cousins-which is why they are researching the same people. Do you think that your ancestors would have wanted their descendants hoarding information about them? For instance, family heirlooms, stories, and pictures were often passed down to the oldest children in the family. It wasn't uncommon for people to have families of 6-12 or more children in a family. Should I not know what my 4th great-grandparents looked like because the one photo that was taken of them was given to their oldest child and my ancestor happened to be their 3rd child? I've never written a review of anything before which you can probably tell by the length of this. Bottom line...the app is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic app!, January 9, 2012
A. Bonner (Perkiomenville, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
I highly recommend this app to anyone who has an ancestry.com account. It works beautifully and allows you to update on the go. Going to a family event? Whip out your smartphone or tablet and update Aunt Edith's info about her first marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great App, February 26, 2012
Paula Shank (Charleston, SC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
I've been a member of Ancestry.com for several years and I really love having all my work on my Kindle Fire. How much easier this will be for research and family reunions! It download very fast for me and within 3 minutes I was already accessing my research!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the one star reviews., January 28, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
Ancestry is a clean version of the web service. Yes, you have to pay for the good stuff. Try a month and set up your tree and stop the membership. Do some research on what you found, and when your ready, start up another month and work on your tree. As for sharing all your valuable research... I guarantee someone gave you their valuable research when you asked for it. This is a perfect addition to the web service. Great for family get togethers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to genealogical work while traveling!, January 22, 2012
Amy Nicolai (Houston, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
Often when I am traveling, I want to look up various branches of my family tree, to check dates or see if I have the relationships correctly represented. With over 2,000 people so far gathered, there is no way to remember them all! I like being able to do that right away instead of taking notes (and losing them) and hoping to follow up later. I have both the iPhone app as well as the Android app for the Kindle Fire. I prefer the Android app because of course the screen for the Fire is SO much larger that it is much easier to see. If you have an Ancestry.com account, you need to have this supporting app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
This app is an absolute must for serious ancestry.com users. You can fly around your tree and make quick edits to almost everything. View photos, documents, life events (make changes just by taping) view realtionships, use search. I find it very intuitive and sometimes actually easier to use than the site. For people that already use ancestry I think the app will be a dream come true. Newbies should probally get familiar with the site first.

5.0 out of 5 stars great app, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
I love this app! I also have it on my iphone. This is an excellent tool to be used WITH an Ancestry subscription. It is wicked handy to have for quick and easy access to my history information -- way easier than lugging books around. I strongly recommend this app for anyone that already uses ancestry.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the browser version, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good overall application for referencing your online tree., December 1, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
The program does exactly what I expected. It is a good interface to my online tree. The program does not work if you don't have an online tree.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only a tree file, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
No searching or research. Only a family tree. Would be perfect to take to a family reunion. Not for research.

Ancestry