5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and long lasting

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken in Shipping - Not well packaged
Published on August 9, 2011 by E. Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and long lasting, June 2, 2009
Wayne (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Anchor Hocking Gift Boxed 3-Piece Open-Handle Measuring Cup Set. (Kitchen)
Many years ago, I bought a two cup Anchor Hocking measuring cup to replace a cloudy Pyrex one. The Anchor Hocking lasted many years and stood up quite well to dishwasher cleaning. I have a water softener and a dishwasher that heats water to a very high temperature, which are ideal conditions for the phosphorous in detergents to cause glass to leech and discolor. During the time I owned this measuring cup, I went through at least three sets of drinking glasses that were replaced when they got too cloudy. I don't use the measuring cup every day and it does not go in the dishwasher nearly as often as everyday glasses, but it stood up well from my perspective.

Not long ago, my wife knocked it off a counter onto a hard kitchen floor. It broke and needed to be replaced. At the Amazon price, I didn't have to think twice about getting the three piece set, even though I needed only one of them. Having a one quart measure is convenient, as you may realize once you have one. For any tasks that required using a two cup measure more than once, things become easier.

I prefer Anchor Hocking measuring cups over Pyrex because they are easier for me to use. They have the measurements in cups and fractions on both sides, in addition to metric measurements on one side. The Pyrex has the metric measurements on the equivalent side, but you cannot hold it in the left hand and see increments of cups. The AH lets you pour with your left hand while stirring with your right, or pouring with your right or left as needed. The measurements are easy to read no matter which hand you place the cups down with.

Another advantage is that open handles make things nestable. The D ring handles in Pyrex won't allow that, and getting more than two fingers in there can be awkward, especially for those of us without dainty fingers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken in Shipping - Not well packaged, August 9, 2011
I had read the reviews on this item before deciding to purchase but I just couldn't believe what people were saying about inadequate packaging and so many items being broken upon arrival. And I thought, "Well, what are the odds it will happen to me?" Usually I trust the reviews I've read so this was a big mistake. They arrived barely packaged at all (they are nested in a regular product box suitable for being on the shelf at the store) but without any bubble wrap or peanuts. These are glass, nested measuring cups and they don't bother packaging them? It seems like a waste since these will just end up in a landfill somewhere. I could hear broken glass rattling before I even opened the box. What's worse is that the box had obviously been opened before and re-taped shut so they were probably broken before they even sent them to me. A very frustrating product experience. I am sure that they measuring cups are fine for use but just based on looking at them briefly I feel that the four cup is a bit too much for my needs and the one cup a bit too small so perhaps I will just buy a few two cup ones even though they won't nest together.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT DISHWASHER SAFE, March 29, 2012
R. Schroeder (Fort Worth, TX USA) - See all my reviews
These are NOT dish washer safe, the red lettering comes off after the first washing. Totally useless now. Will be returning them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set, but they don't travel well..., March 18, 2010
This set was just perfect for me, but when I took the Anchor Hocking box out of the Amazon box, it went clink-clink. Upon opening it, I discovered the middle cup had a chunk of glass taken out of the top of it.

Anchor-Hocking is replacing it for me, so I'm super-happy about that, but given the choice, I'd rather buy this item in a store so I don't have to depend on the post office handling the box with more care than they did this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid kitchen necessity made in the USA, April 16, 2009
My beloved Pyrex cups shattered and I was devasted. I found this Anchor Hocking set and decided to take a chance on it because it was made in the USA. It is a 1, 2 and 4 cup set and is very well made, heavy and durable. The only thing I haven't done is put them in the dishwasher, because I don't want to fade or discolor the glass -- it is supposed to be fine to wash them in the dishwasher, but don't want to take the chance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapponted, December 12, 2011
I bought the A-H 3 Piece Measuring Cup Set because I broke my Pyrex 2-cup measure recently. In reading the reviews of the Pyrex cups, I learned that Pyrex is no longer making their cups from borosilicate glass, so they have lost their famous hot/cold capability. Also, people complained that the new Pyrex spouts were too small, causing dribbling. Some of the A-H reviews said that the spouts were larger, making it easy to pour.

Why I'm disappointed: I have no idea whether the A-H cups are made from borosilicate glass because it doesn't say anything about it on the package. I don't think that the spouts are any larger than the Pyrex spouts, and that means you just have to pour slowly to avoid dribbling. I am most annoyed that there are no one ounce marks on any of the cups, even the 1 cup measure. Would it have cost A-H any more to put them on? Finally, my 2 cup measure came with a chip that I didn't notice until I had thrown the packaging away. If I had noticed it when I opened the box, they would have gone right back to Amazon, but now I will <long suffering sigh> live with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best kitchen aids, May 16, 2010
LEO B (East Texas) - See all my reviews
I choose this set to replace an aging plastic set. I was tired of the discolorations, etc. of the old set. Wanting glass, I found this set for a very good price & free Super Saver Shipping!! They stack well and I use them daily.Love the multitude of markings on both sides. I'm thinking of getting another set or 2 to have on hand for house warming or wedding gifts.

2.0 out of 5 stars Might be nice, if they didn't arrive broken..., February 1, 2011
I ordered this for a house warming present for my sister. They were not packaged in any additional packaging than the box you see there, and it was not packaged for travel. All of the measuring cups were broken when they arrived. (Amazon was very nice about the return, but it was extra disappointing because it was a gift for someone else.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Anchor Hocking has packaging issues!, January 8, 2013
I love that this product is glass. I'm trying to move away from plastics. I love that it's made in the USA. Unfortunately, I've twice ordered their products, which arrive with the manufacturing containers in pristine condition, extremely well packaged outside of that by the Amazon shipping location, but broken on the inside. It would seem that Anchor needs to go the drawing board on their product packaging.

I would love to have this product, but I'm frustrated with the breakage during shipping. I will look for this product on a local shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars broken middle cup, November 25, 2011
The two unbroken cups are great. I'm not sure why the company packs these so carelessly. Unfortunately I had purchased this as a housewarming gift and the broken pieces were thrown away before I discovered the mess so I could not return it but instead had to repurchase a new set. The product is very nice but the packaging leaves a lot to be desired.

Anchor Hocking Gift Boxed 3-Piece Open-Handle Measuring Cup Set.
$22.99 $18.25