Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: Blu-rayChange

on January 15, 2014
Ron (Will Ferrell) gets terminated from his job and leaves his wife. He is offered a job from upstart GNN 24 hour news. He assembles his news team etc. etc. etc. The plot is not important. The film is fairly simple and it is more like a connection of skits and one liners than a real situation comedy. You could pretty much start watching the movie at any time and it wouldn't matter. The humor, while crude at times, was original and funny. Sure there were a few scenes I would have cut, the condom selection and racist dinner, but there were too many scenes which had me laughing out loud. Excellent support cast.

Some lines from the film:

"Bats: Chicken of the cave."
"He wanted to donate his organs before he died."
"Remember ten years from now..."
"He bottle fed and raised a shark..."

This is high caliber low brow humor. Crude and racial at times.

Parental Guide: 2 F-bombs. No nudity. Brief comical sex scene. Crude sexual talk.
on April 7, 2014
Saw these actors on Jon Stewart and they were a riot, I thought I have to see that movie. Missed it in the theatres, so I purchased it on Amazon, despite the mixed reviews. My advice, if you have to see it, rent it, don't buy it! I should have heeded the 3 star reviews and just rented this. There were only a few times where I actually laughed while watching this film. I was disappointed. I actually had a hard time staying focused on it - it just didn't do a good job of pulling me in.

So rent it first, and if it fits your fancy, then buy it. But it wasn't the right choice for me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 6, 2014
The gang returns in Anchorman 2 as San Diego's top rated newsman, Ron Burgundy, gets the news crew back together again to take New York's first 24-hour news channel by storm.

When the original Anchorman movie came out, I thought it was one of Ferrell's better comedy efforts with its silly quotable lines and low brow humor that's just so silly it is funny.

Anchorman 2 tries to do the same but falls into the same category that most sequels do, especially comedy sequels as trying to repeat the magic and coming up a little short mainly due to it being second. The comedy isn't as fresh and new and some of the same gags are repeated, which seems to plague comedy sequels (Hangover 2 and 3 anyone).

That doesn't mean that this movie doesn't have its moments of humor as it did make me laugh at times but seemed a bit more flat than the first. To give him credit, Ferrell is fantastic as the character and does him well, even though the movie falls a bit short at times.

For me, it is an ok movie to watch and for those fans of the series and of Ferrill, then you will like this movie, even though it is a lot of the same from the first.
on June 28, 2015
The first film had some original and genuinely funny moments and I was expecting something similar for this sequel. I would have been happy if this sequel maintained that level of silly and ridiculous. But this sequel is surprisingly bad. The fictional world they created is maintained and leveraged well in the first half of the movie. But the second half, which appears to be an attempt to be surprising, the story loses its way by breaking down their established in-world rules. This makes the film a little confusing and made me lose all desire to care about the characters or their circumstances. Another disappointment were the guest cameos, which are poor uses of the stellar talent recruited for this film.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I usually dislike silly tales that base their humor on absurd ideas such as two dumb people celebrating their marriage with a kiss after the husband covers his wife’s face with her vale and kisses her through the vale. But I liked this film. I am on a ship and the crew showed the film so I went to watch it. I thought it was funny. I even thought that most of the silly behaviors were comical in context. There were also some parts that were very sentimental such as Burgundy’s relation with his son. Most quirky but correct was the mockery that the film made of 24-hour news. I recommend the film.
on December 21, 2014
While knowing that it couldn't be as pleasantly surprising as the original, and to be sure there were moments that felt a little too forced and derivative, this sequel still had some laugh out loud moments. If you're a fan of the first Anchorman this is still worth watching, even if some of the magic that made the first so adored is missing. Also, great big thumbs up to Kristen Wiig's small but brilliant turn as Chani. Amazing.
on April 21, 2014
Synopsis: The time is set in the early 1980s. After being informed by respected newscaster Mack Tannen (Played by Harrison Ford) that Veronica Corningstone (Christina Appellgate) will be the new lead anchor for WBC, Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) is fired from his job as an anchorman and jealously/selfishly walks out on his family. After resurfacing six months later at San Diego, he is offered a spot at the upstart cable company GNN (Global News Network). This inspires him to reunite the news team, so he recruits Champ Kind (David Koechner), Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), and Brick Tamland (Steve Carrell) to once again dominate the news. Once the team finds out they've been scheduled for a graveyard slot, they need to find a way to make it entertaining so they can remain in a business; largely as a result of Burgundy making a foolish bet with prime-time anchor Jack Lime (James Marsden). Despite the terrible slot, the team manages to use sensationalism to boost their ratings. Though this is good for the team, this further divides Ron and Veronica; who objects to the overall decline of Ron's reporting of real news, not to mention the decline of Ron's presence in the life of his son Walter (Judah Nelson). Further, the team's credibility is further hampered behind the scenes once GNN impresario Kench Allenby (Josh Lawson) informs station manager Linda Jackson (Meagan Good) that they can use "synergy" to suppress one of Fantana's stories that would paint their corporate sponsors in a negative light. Will Burgundy be as successful in cable news as he was in San Diego? Will they be able to report the news over sensationalist fluff pieces? Will Ron be a better dad to Walter?

I didn't mind the commentary on the devolving state of corporate-backed media, even if too many of the pot-shots were directed at Rupert Murdoch as opposed to media as a whole (and trust me, I'm the last guy on the planet who'd be a Fox News apologist.) Yet at the same time, this film was marketed as a comedy. Honestly, I think I may have laughed once or twice during the entire film (one of those instances was during Jim Carrey's brief cameo toward the end.) The rest of the humor was either absent, too absurd to be funny, or was a joke best suited for 2004. I understand not all sequels will hit it out of the park, but this was probably one of those which waited too long between releases to captivate both the audience and actors playing the roles for it to be considered worthwhile.

Recommended for fans of the franchise only. Others would be better off seeing the original Anchorman.
on April 5, 2014
I find the abundance of negative reviews interesting because despite my rather messy memory, I remember when the first Anchorman film came out. And I can promise you, that film had a similar amount of negative press from users. Yet over the years, with the emergence of social networks and in the school hallways, I'd find words like "Great Odin's raven!" Or "Invitation to the pants party" thrown around like de-icing salt. And I'm pretty sure that this film will have a similar thing going for it. Mind you, I loved the first movie upon first viewing. It had juvenile humour, star power, and easily the best thing about it was that in every scene, the actors were clearly trying not to laugh (pay special attention to Christina Applegate- she's the worst for this in both movies. You can tell when it's getting too much for her because it cuts immediately so she can dissolve into uncontrollable laughter). It was great back then, and it was still great on my most recent viewing.

Of course, I'm not in any way trying to imply that this film is as good as first. For one, it does have a ton of pacing issues- two hours is too long for a comedy like this. The film does tend to get repetitive in places (though not like the first didn't). Yet, much like the earlier released "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug", low expectations was what lessened the blow of that. And of course, the jokes are a bit too out there at times, but really, this is an absurdist comedy. And what it does good, it does very good. There's still tons of really vulgar and puerile jokes, but come on, just remember what kind of film you're watching. That said, what this film really did best was its much deserving dig at those 24 hours "news" networks. I swear, I expect that happened in this movie to happen on those kinds of s***ty networks. And of course, like I mentioned above- the star power. It's so great to see the guys having fun again, and struggling once more to keep it in the face. Every single actor has a hard time keeping a straight face in every scene, which is just what makes it funnier. And of course, the completely vulgar jokes work too. Like the scene where they smoke crack on air. Brilliant! The abundance of celebrity cameos adds to the film's absurd and surreal feel, and all are very satisfying and fun to watch.

Point is, as flawed and overlong as the movie is, it's still fun to watch. It is by no means perfect, and the film itself even is aware of it at times. But lower your expectations and you'll have a last. A common complaint I've seen in much of these reviews is that they were "huge fans if the first film" and they're digging their own graves by having such high expectations. For me, the magic was still there, and it still is. And while I'm not sure I'd want an Anchorman 3, this film still entertains greatly. It's been too long since we've seen Ron and his pals behind the news desk, and to see them back together again in itself is a purely satisfying sight
on April 4, 2014
Plot - Imdb
Having left San Diego for New York City, Ron Burgundy is living the high life with his wife Veronica Corningstone and son Walter Burgundy. However, when the boss decides to promote Veronica to full time lead anchor and fire Ron, everything changes. Now heading back to San Diego, Ron is washed up and working part time at Sea World. His shot at redemption though comes in the form of a man named Freddie Schapp, who's an executive producer at the Global News Network, the world's first 24 hour round the clock news channel. He hires Ron, who proceeds to reunite the news team of Champ, Brick, and Brian, and head back to New York City. While their Ron and his news team are given the graveyard shift and a challenge. Ron comes up with a radical new idea to transform the news and that puts him at the top of the game once again. But how long will Ron's newfound fame last? And will Brick finally find true love?

Review - 2/5
Honestly I never really liked the first one that much. If you enjoy mindless jokes with characters that borderline mental retardation, then I guess you could find something appealing. I did laugh a few times throughout the movie, but in a way I was wanting it to end so I could watch something else. I was salivating over Meagan Good though for the majority of the film. My God is that woman smoking hot! Steve Carell was probably the worst. He wasn't funny or enjoyable at all. I felt dumb watching at how hard they tried to make him seem funny. He has a much bigger part in this one than the first one. I just can't really recommend this. Yeah it has some laughter. Maybe teens would enjoy it? But in the end I didn't really find anything that said I would ever watch it again.
on November 21, 2015
Actually started out like it might actually be funny. At least funnier than the first one. Then I fell asleep in the first 20 minutes. Not sure if I was bored to sleep or just tired. Probably not a fair review.