3,562
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Unrated)
Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange
Price:$12.99

TOP 50 REVIEWERon December 13, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant Video
Entertaining and hilarious, "Anchorman 2" is a spoof on the fare offered by 24-hour news channels. Set in the late 1970s, at about the same time as CNN's entrance into the new world of cable TV, it parodies a phenomenon that has long since devolved no news 24 hours a day.

Ron Burgundy and his fellow newscasters are likable bumblers who have an uncanny sense for what people want––a diversion from their boring lives. Burgundy and his cohorts serve these people this diversion in a way that is weird, funny, and entertaining.

If you want an evening immersed in some harmlessly funny diversion provided by great comedic talents, watch this movie. It is pure and enjoyable inaneness with some not so subtle commentary on the way news is presented today.
on April 8, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Saw these actors on Jon Stewart and they were a riot, I thought I have to see that movie. Missed it in the theatres, so I purchased it on Amazon, despite the mixed reviews. My advice, if you have to see it, rent it, don't buy it! I should have heeded the 3 star reviews and just rented this. There were only a few times where I actually laughed while watching this film. I was disappointed. I actually had a hard time staying focused on it - it just didn't do a good job of pulling me in.

So rent it first, and if it fits your fancy, then buy it. But it wasn't the right choice for me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
To understand comedy, you have to get the references. I think many did not understand the satire going on in this film. Most young people do not know what news was like before FOX and CNN so to them the much of the humor of this film would be completely missed. If you are older you would get the references. Also many there are lots of racial jokes in this film and Americans have become so PC and uptight that these jokes would make them feel uncomfortable. People can handle black men as blood thirsty gangsters...there is no discomfort in that. But RACIAL JOKES.....now the line has been crossed. The exact same thing happened to Robert Downy Jr. in Tropical Thunder. People thought he was being too insensitive.....didn't seem to hurt his career. I actually thought this one was better than the first but it was also far more satirical than the first. Where the first movie was mocking anchormen this one mocks then entire television news organization. I think this is one of Ferrel's better films but I also think many did not understand it. For example if you have never heard of the organization called Lighthouse for the Blind, one joke will be missed and may even seem but plain goofy. Overall I would say Ferrel aimed too high. In our current society, humor has to sink to the lowest of the low for it to be viewed as funny which is why the lowest form of all humor, slapstick, is the main ingredient of most popular "comedies" these days......that mixed with an element of self loathing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2015
Format: Amazon Instant Video
Much of Will Ferrell's "comedy" is striking simply because you can't believe he would actually do the outrageous things he is willing to do. It's more being shocking than actually funny. I suffered with this stinkeroo until I just couldn't stand it any more. I don't care how the rest of the story goes;; it's too painful to finish.
on April 13, 2015
Format: Amazon Instant Video
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues picks up not too far from where we left off. Ron (Will Ferrell) and Veronica (Christina Applegate) are still together, only now they have a kid, and Veronica gets offered the promotion of a lifetime. Ron tells her that it’s her or the job and, knowing what we know about how headstrong Veronica was in the first film, we know which choice she will make. Chaos ensues as Ron tries (and fails) to kill himself and almost simultaneously is offered a ground-breaking job at a global news network. Now that we have the set-up, we can look for our familiar favorites. What follows should go without saying: spoiler alert!

What I Liked

– As a sequel, the film wasn’t half bad. Of course, it was never going to live up to the original, especially ten years later. But if you went into it with less expectations and more of a desire to just be entertained, then you got what you came for.

– Brick (Steve Carrell) was, yet again, given some of the best lines. One of his best this time around? “A black man follows me everywhere when it’s sunny.”

– Baxter is back as the wise and profound man’s best friend who ends up saving Ron from the shark he raised when the shark comes back to eat him.

What I Didn’t Like

– That god-awful song to the shark. Actually, that whole scene in general. It was too drawn out and also painfully unfunny.

– Champ’s (David Koechner)’s “Whammy!” catchphrase was so overdone at one point that it felt like from Family Guy when they repeat a joke ad nauseum until you have no choice but to laugh. The problem here is that “Whammy!” is not now, nor was it ever, funny.

– Ron’s fling with his new boss, the “black” Linda Jackson (Meagan Good). While we got some humorous yet unnecessary insight into Ron’s apparent racism, his hook-up with Linda went nowhere, served no one, and was too rushed to make sense. And the whole “black” thing seems like it was stolen right out of Austin Powers: Goldmember. (Mole.)

What Came Back

– That epic fight scene, though this time, not so epic. They really, really should have just left that one alone. In the first film it was gold; here, they tried way too hard and it showed. Said scene was also tacked on to the end of the film in one of those not-so-subtle winks that movies often give when they know you’re waiting for something good, then fail to deliver.

Best cameos this time around? Jim Carrey and Marion Cotillard as the overly apologetic Canadians. Worst cameos? Kirsten Dunst, since you could barely tell it was her, and Kanye West, who couldn’t act his way out of a paper bag.

And just when you thought he wouldn’t show up, in comes Vince Vaughn as a leather-clad biker who informs us that Dorothy Mantooth is now, in fact, a saint (spoiler: she died). Ugh.

– Sex Panther, though not in the form you might expect.

– Brian’s (Paul Rudd) “hidden wall that contains a crazy item.” Only this time, instead of Sex Panther he has a collection of exotic condoms.

– Jazz flute, however briefly.
on January 6, 2015
Format: Amazon Instant Video
There's a line between satire and stupid. Anchorman II crossed it. This movie happened because comedy stars with too much money smoked too much pot and made a movie for "fun"
on January 10, 2015
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
I love anchorman 1...but I really couldn't pay attention to the second. I love the actors and characters...Overall..not a great fan but really have not watched the entire movie.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 6, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant Video
The gang returns in Anchorman 2 as San Diego's top rated newsman, Ron Burgundy, gets the news crew back together again to take New York's first 24-hour news channel by storm.

When the original Anchorman movie came out, I thought it was one of Ferrell's better comedy efforts with its silly quotable lines and low brow humor that's just so silly it is funny.

Anchorman 2 tries to do the same but falls into the same category that most sequels do, especially comedy sequels as trying to repeat the magic and coming up a little short mainly due to it being second. The comedy isn't as fresh and new and some of the same gags are repeated, which seems to plague comedy sequels (Hangover 2 and 3 anyone).

That doesn't mean that this movie doesn't have its moments of humor as it did make me laugh at times but seemed a bit more flat than the first. To give him credit, Ferrell is fantastic as the character and does him well, even though the movie falls a bit short at times.

For me, it is an ok movie to watch and for those fans of the series and of Ferrill, then you will like this movie, even though it is a lot of the same from the first.
on January 17, 2015
Format: Amazon Instant Video
Too many repeated jokes from the first movie, and most of the scenes were more annoying than anything. 1st Anchorman was comedy gold. This was pretty terrible.
on July 7, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
The Super-Sized Version is hilarious! I saw the regular version in the theater and being a big Anchorman-fan, I enjoyed it. It seemed to be chopped up and lacking though. I purchased the DVD when it came out and watched the Super-Sized version and it was so much better!

The extended version runs close to 2 and half hours, but the movie flows so much better and there is the "Big World" scene, where the gang sings, that was worth every penny. Brick's singing about spiderman is was one of the funniest things I have seen. I re-watched that scene like 10 times.

I wish they didn't have to cut certain scenes that they did for the theatrical version because I agree with most reviewers in that respect. The theater version seemed disjointed and not as funny as it could be. But if you are a fan like me, you definitely want to see the blu-ray, super-sized edition because it makes up so much for what the original movie didn't have. Though, if you are not a huge fan like me and didn't like the theatrical version at all, obviously don't buy the DVD/Blu-Ray set.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations