Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on November 30, 2011
While I feel quite certain that any teen who checked out this book (literally or otherwise) would become a Danger Boy fan immediately, DB truly is not limited to that age group. It will be equally enjoyed by adults!

For example, if you're an old Twilight Zone or Isaac Asimov fan who's pondered dimensions beyond those we can see and touch, Mark London Williams' imagination will catch your fancy.

Since I'm an old Mathie from way back when, I enjoyed the contemplations on what time actually *is*. The notion of "all time" existing "all at once" is quite Mathie in its origins. The time-dimension concept goes hand in hand with the mysteries of Moebius bands and the like. Williams gave me fun puzzles to ponder.

On an even deeper level, I saw Williams' work as a way to look at a theodicy and other questions of good and evil. Even the naming of the characters (Eli, Thea) - shorthand for God - tease us into thinking about topics not usually associated with YA science fiction.

But don't let that scare you off. Danger Boy One can be enjoyed on a purely childlike (but never childish) level too. It's good old-fashioned fun in a futuristic setting.

Once I picked it up, I simply could not put it down.
on October 29, 2004
This first book in a wonderful series brings a fresh and fun look at relativity as we join 12 year old Eli in a time travel adventure sure to engross young readers, and their parents as well!

Eli travels backward through time and history via inventions of his scientist Father who is pressed to use his son thusly by ruthless people he had worked for. That his Mother is missing in space/time adds more tension and drama.

Eli endears us with his pluck and quick mind as he narrates his adventures.

Williams makes the complex plot plausible and always easy for us to willingly accept. He adds charming companions for Eli, who sometimes share in the narrative. There is a friendly and bright dinosaur from another planet, and Thea, from ancient Alexandria, who has been accused of being a witch!

This wonderful book is must reading for kids 8-13. My Grandson can't wait for more from this author--Danger Boy is a terrific series!!!
on March 2, 2012
I read this book along with a 5th grader in my class. It was a really enjoyable read for him, although I found myself liking it much less than he did. To him, the pace was exciting; to me, it was a little too fast. I did enjoy Eli's point of view and the story about Thea, the girl he meets in the past, but I had trouble getting as engaged in the story as he did (which may actually be a testament to its ability to snag young male readers!) Here is his review:

My name is Bryan and I really like the Artemis Fowl books. I wanted to read the Danger Boy books because I like to read about time travel and history. I really liked Danger Boy. It was a really exciting book. I wish it was longer. I felt like I could be Eli, because he thinks about a lot of the same things that I think about.
If I could change one thing about this book I would make it longer. I gave this book five stars.
on May 7, 2012
I liked this book so much that I went to the library and had them order 3 more in the series. It sort of makes me think of a cross between Whit and Wisty the warlock and witch by James Patterson series, maybe a little Indian in the Cupboard, and possibly the Tesseract. Not "quite" up there with the Harry Potter books, but not too terribly far behind! It kept me in suspense and on the edge of my seat most of the time. Then again, I'm STILL a Toys R Us kid! and I don't WANT to grow up!

on January 3, 2006
This book is absolutely great! It captured my attention and I was so excited that I demanded my Mom go online and buy # 2 in the series because the library didn't have it. I usually like to read only science books, but this is one fiction book I really enjoyed. I want everyone in America to read it so they will be able to talk about the book with me! The only flaw I found was that the book was so interesting I read it too fast and the fun was over too soon. This would make a great movie!
on October 30, 2004
My nine year-old son rates this as his favorite book. Mark Williams does a fantastic job of discussing time travel as seen through the eyes of a boy. Eli, the "danger boy", reacts to things as a kid his age would, not as the typical adult protagonist. The idea of a dinosaur doing time travel as a part of a homework assignment was one that my son enjoyed very much.
on November 29, 2011
I'd been meaning to look at these Danger Boys books for a while. Being a local children's author in Princeton, I'd heard that these characters had a Princeton connection and wanted to see what that was all about--but every time I looked for Book 1 at the library, it was gone. With this series now on the Kindle, it took me all of about 3 seconds to get it. So great to see these books as e-books--and they definitely work well with this format. For instance, I wanted to learn more about Hypatia, mentioned in chapter 8 as a librarian of Alexandria, and so I clicked on her name (and up popped info about her as an astronomer and mathematician)!
on November 15, 2006
In my opinion, I think that this is a really great book. I started reading it... but I couldn't stop! It kind of sucked me in starting by my eyes, then my nose got burried in it, soon it was like I was in the book!! "Danger Boy's"more than just a page turner to me and if you haven't read it yet then you're misssing out! I don't mean just the first one. It's about time travel in 2019 whith a boy named Eli and a dino; Clyne, don't forget a girl from I don't when, Thea. Anyways, it's a pretty great book.
on October 29, 2004
I liked the time traveling, and also the fact a lot of history was covered in the book! It's a good way to have fun reading AND learning at the same time!!
on October 27, 2014
The first Danger Boy book in the series got me hooked right away. I found them (or my mom found them) at the Mount Vernon library when I was about 14 years old. The foil hardback covers instantly intrigued me so I made sure to check out the second book just in case I wanted it that week.

Ancient Fire brings our time traveling heroes Eli, Thea and Thea and Clyne together for the first time. The historical set is the burning of the library of Alexandria, a moment in history abhorred by book lovers everywhere. It deals with the real life reactions of youth and adults to fantastically situations. It is a one of a kind children's time travel adventure novel. The read level makes it suitable for beginning chapter book readers and the plot makes it suitable for all ages. It makes you laugh and is a real page turner. My youngest sister read it and loved it just as much as I did!

!!General Plot Spoilers Ahead!!

Eli loses his mother in an explosion and his father swears to never research time travel again. Eli and his father flee across the country to dodge the government department which was funding the research. Eli learns more about the accident that cost him his mother only to have the "DARPA" agents show up a few months later. This leads to Eli getting "untangled in time".

Switch perspectives and stories and you have Clyne, a Saurian or humaniod dinosaur from another dimension. For his culminating school project, Clyne has to travel to an alternate dimension and write a report. He is the funny sidekick character who doesn't let his role as sidekick keep him from doing big things.

In comes Thea, daughter of the head librarian of Alexandria. Thea and her mother get into all kinds of trouble with the local newly empowered religious populous because they have knowledge of science which far exceeds any male scientist. They are condemned, but in come Clyne and Eli. Then the adventure really begins.