5.0 out of 5 stars Antioxidant rich, ancient whole grain with complete protein
Quinoa is a fast cooking antioxidant rich "whole grain" (actually a grass) that has a fairly complete amino acid profile. Check out the Harvard School of Public Health web site where the eminent nutrition specialist, Walter Willett, puts whole grains on the second level of his evidence based nutrition pyramid along with healthy oils and after exercise.

This is...
Published on September 9, 2007 by Frespkr

1.0 out of 5 stars Scalper Amazon
Couple of months ago this was $27.51. Amazon raised the price by 30%, when it became popular. I'll be getting mine direct.
Published on March 16, 2008 by Midwest Foodie

5.0 out of 5 stars Antioxidant rich, ancient whole grain with complete protein, September 9, 2007
Frespkr (Lebanon, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ancient Harvest Organic Quinoa, Inca Red, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12) (Grocery)

This is a nutty tasting uniquely colored, delicious, whole food that has a centuries old history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rice is Nice..., December 31, 2007
...but quinoa is better. This is good stuff; it cooks just like brown rice but has a nuttier flavor and is considerably more nutritious. At under $3 a box, it's cheaper buying it at Amazon than at the supermarket, and it is VERY difficult finding it here in Florida where people tend toward grits and rice. As an added bonus for those to whom it applies, quinoa is technically not a grain; as such, both the regular and Inca Red varieties of Ancient Harvest brand quinoa bearing the "Half-Moon K" (as these do -- see my customer image) are kosher for Passover. The boxes bearing this symbol come from a factory that processes quinoa only, so there is no chance of chometz contamination.

Delivery was under one week even with the free Super Saver Shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quinoa is a wonderful grain, February 13, 2008
I. B. Townsend (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Quinoa is a wonderful grain, with lots of protein. The company gave a great support and recommended that I order it through Amazon because of the free delivery. There are also more recipes on their website. It's as easy to cook as rice, can be eaten cold or hot, and increases protein in your diet in an easily digestible form.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fun addition to my diet, June 25, 2013
A couple of years ago, I started eating quinoa every now and then. When I gave up refined flour and white rice, I increased my quinoa intake. I was mostly eating the plain kind, but I saw the red quinoa in the store and had to give it a try. You see, I'm a sucker for interesting colors in foods. I'm totally the kind of person who buys red carrots and orange cauliflower and purple potatoes. So of course red quinoa is more fun than the plain (white?) kind!

Red quinoa can be used in any dish that calls for quinoa. Since it's a little pricier than regular quinoa, one thing I have done to extend the amount of red quinoa is mix it half-and-half with regular quinoa. You still get a lot of color, but you take the per-ounce price down a bit.

Sometimes I use red quinoa as a simple rice substitute. You cook it pretty much the same way you cook white rice, and it takes about the same amount of time. You can do a lot of the same things with quinoa that you can with white rice (not all -- you'd never get quinoa to work in a risotto-like dish), like pilaf or a Mexican tomato rice-type dish with quinoa instead of rice. It also goes great with potatoes -- boil for a few minutes and then roast in a little olive oil, then add some vegetables and cheese if you'd like (red bell peppers, hot peppers, and scallions work well) -- and sweet potatoes -- again, boil and roast, but add red onions and red bell peppers.

Quinoa is not actually a grain (great for people with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease, or for people with high triglycerides trying to avoid refined foods). As a vegetarian, I like the variety it adds to my diet. It's fairly high in protein for a grain-like food, and by eating a variety of different foods (like red quinoa!), I can be sure to get all the nutrients I need.

And while I've tried different brands of red quinoa, I usually go back to this one. It's one of the least expensive brands and it has consistently high quality. You can store the opened package at room temperature for an extended period of time and it has a pretty long shelf life. (Do roll up the plastic that's inside the box and rubber-band or tape so it's not just open to the air.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quinoa: a wonder food, March 19, 2011
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Good protein source. Gluten-free. On the box, the National Academy of Sciences is quoted, referring to quinoa as "one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom."

My family has tried to add some vegetarian dishes to our diet. This, and two other types of quinoa, form a key part of that effort. One simple dish: small potatoes and quinoa boiled for a bit. Then put them in the oven, covered with cheese, onions, and sopme herbs and bake until done. Tasty--and nutritious! And vegetarian. In this dish, the quinoa is kind of crunchy, adding a nice texture to the dish.

As an entree to the world of quinoa, this is a nice product. . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids LOVE IT!, August 18, 2010
I just started buying Quinoa, and i had to write a review. I was a little apprehensive of putting this stuff in front of my kids who are 9, 6 and 4. It straight up looks WEIRD! It's got little curly Q's that sprout out of it while it's cooking. But i thought i'd take that "quality" and deliberately market it towards my kids. hehehe! I told them some really creative people figured out how to make this really fun food for kids and how to get it to grow little curly Q's when it cooked, and that it was pretty silly. I asked them what they thought and they laughed at the look of it. It takes very similar to rice, so i likened it to that for the kids, but told them it wasn't rice so it does taste a little different. My oldest child is apprehensive about certain foods, and i didn't know how'd she'd react to this. My middle one is the type who would rather go hungry than try stuff he doesn't think looks right. And my youngest will eat anything. All 3 of them LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I made it first by mixing fresh tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, onion, chicken, sour cream, cheese, cumin and chili powder. The girls ate all of theirs and my youngest snagged my bowl and ate all of mine the moment i got up from the table for a min. And they've never like avocado or onion in stuff! My son wouldn't even try it, which didn't surprise me. But i had him taste the few plain grains that stuck to the side of the pot, and he ate every single one of them (and his quesadilla). Today i made it plain by boiling in water. Then just squirted a little Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce) on it, and all 3 DEVOURED it! I am so glad i can give them something so healthy, and so full of nutrients. I love that it's packed with 6 grams of protein, and 6 grams of fiber, and 3 grams of good ol' fashioned healthy fats. They love that it's red and has curly Q's. I am confident this is a very versatile grain/ grass, whatever it is, and i have big plans for it! Broccoli cheddar casserole, added to any soup, bean dip, veggie burgers, cold salad base, stir fry... or mixed with dried cranberries, apples and pecans... or curried with coconut for an Indian flavor... Yes, this is definitely a GOOD thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty toasty red quinoa!!, February 16, 2009
Ancient Harvest red quinoa is the most delicious grain I have EVER eaten, and I am a vegetarian so I have tried almost all of them. Cook it in a rice cooker with a cube of veggie broth and a finely diced carrot--YUMMMM! It's slightly sweet flavor goes with everything--cole slow, green beans, you name it, and the intense concentration of protein in the quinoa means it easily works as your main dish for a meal. Try it--you'll like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, September 25, 2013
One thing that confused me when purchasing this product is that the item title says (Pack of 12). Of course, I couldn't imagine I was getting 12 x12oz boxes for $7. BUT... the shipping weight clocked in at 9 pounds! Well, NO. You will not receive 12 boxes. It's confusing, but common sense tells you that's WAY too cheap for quinoa. Good product. I like that it's pre-washed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatility plus!, October 6, 2011
Quinoa adapts to a variety of seasonings, from sweet to savory and requires a short cooking time.
Would be an excellent item for emergency food preparedness as it uses so little of scarce cooking fuel to prepare and can be combined with other foods storage items to tailor it a family's taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the white, April 18, 2014
Evan (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a good brand of quinoa. This Inca Red version is a nuttier, tastier version compared to the white. There is a 'greenness' to the white that this simply does not have. I also enjoy that this quinoa does not require pre-rinsing. We have started putting this in a lot of our recipes. Great source of protein and a unique grain that adds texture to any soup or meal.

Ancient Harvest Organic Quinoa, Inca Red, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
$100.00 $73.95
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies