5.0 out of 5 stars Ocean Breeze Magnesium in Colorado Country
Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:12 Mins
Published on September 4, 2010 by Linda G. Shelnutt

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work, but is inconvenient
I will give this a couple more tries. I have used it 6 times, and the itching is uncomfortable, so I have to motivate myself to use it. I also have to use 32 pumps of the spray bottle to get 400mg, and I just don't seem to have enough surface area for that much oil. That means my entire body (practically) is covered in this stuff. So I have to hang out in the bathroom for...
Published on December 16, 2010 by jobert

5.0 out of 5 stars Ocean Breeze Magnesium in Colorado Country, September 4, 2010
Length:: 7:12 Mins

As Dr. Mark Sircus' web site video implies to me, if we could swim regularly in the ocean we would likely have less if any need to shore up vitally needed magnesium in human health maintenance systems. According to many medical professionals [including Dr. Sircus] exposing a growing number of magnesium deficiencies, transdermal magnesium oil can be of vital assistance for absorbing this life maintaining mineral. Dr. Sircus recommends the ANCIENT MINERALS brand, which is offered on this Amazon page. [See his landmark book, Transdermal Magnesium Therapy]

I've noticed some curiosity expressed here about the price difference and possible quality or strength difference between ANCIENT MINERALS/Genuine Zechstein mag oil [for sale on this Amazon buying page] vs. SWANSON ULTRA/Zechstein Inside, Magnesium Oil 8 fl oz (237 ml) Spray. *[My review on the Swanson Ultra Amazon page gives a personal, detailed endorsement of any pure magnesium chloride brine used transdermally. Please feel free to read that and apply its contents to both of these offerings.]

I've recently purchased and tried this Ancient Mineral brand. It appears to me to be equal to the Swanson Ultra offering, yet I have detected a difference, by taste, as noted in this video review. The pricing at this time of posting this review, on each of these potentially lifesaving products, in an 8 oz spray bottle, is:
-- $29 free shipping Ancient Minerals
-- $9 + $5 shipping = $14 Swanson Ultra

Both indicate that they are supersaturated solutions of magnesium chloride brine water from the ancient Zechstein Seabed. I believe they are. I don't know if one is a stronger solution than the other. Here are some of the factors I looked at which might relate here:

1. I have read on the Ancient Minerals web site that they believe it is acceptable to make your own brine water from the magnesium flakes from the Zechstein seabed. I was honestly pleased to read that because I do make and use my own solution from the flakes [though I can't make it as super saturated as AM could, won't be able to test contents, and I use tap water].

2. I have read on the Zechstein Minerals mine site that they cannot recommend making your own brine water from the flakes, due to a few trace residuals which come through from the breakdown, evaporation process of obtaining flakes from the mined brine solution. Included in that list, in bare trace amounts at a parts per million level [which the site says are not hazardous], are magnesium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide chloride, and some hydrochloric acid in the vapor stream. I recommend visiting their web site to read about this. I appreciated this information, especially the list of residuals, so I can make up my mind whether I'm concerned about them in my case.

3. According to an interesting, helpful discussion topic I read on a web site [CureZone] ANCIENT MINERALS invests time and resources to test each batch they sell of mg brine water, providing a list of the solution content including trace elements. I've checked the AM web site and seen this batch test results list for April 28, 2009. Also, from text included on my spray bottle of AM mg oil, this appreciated information is included: 8 sprays = approx 100 mg elemental magnesium. I've also read and recommend the Magnesium for Life web site, which offers quite a bit of interesting information. I've watched some excellent videos made by Dr. Mark Sircus on his web site, and on YouTube.

One thing which stands out in my mind from all this is a comment Dr. Sircus made about wanting to know the precise contents in each batch of mg chloride brine, even that which comes from the Zechstein site. Sircus said, to this effect, "You shouldn't trust what someone else says about that." That seemed to me like a wise assessment which was probably backed by experience. Taking this type of care gives extra costs which must be covered and which I'm willing to pay.

However, I also understand why Swanson's medical spokesperson, Dr. Barbara Hensen, living closer to the Netherlands mine site, seems to be comfortably familiar with the Zechstein mining people and process. I can see why she and Swanson trust the product they receive from that mining process. I've formed an intuitive opinion for myself, and given the background provided in my review on the Swanson Ultra mag oil buying page here on Amazon:

I believe that for me, both these two magnesium oil products [and possibly others I haven't investigated] are of excellent value in shoring up human nutrition and deficiencies. I will continue to buy and use both of them.

I will likely continue to use the highest volume of the Swanson products due to their ability to offer such excellent pricing, yet I will always keep on hand a parallel bottle of the Ancient Minerals spray as well. As I have done with SWANSON and will continue to do, I want to support ANCIENT MINERALS and its supporters; they've proven their integrity to me, and web sites from both these companies have given invaluable information.

Companies like these two, and their people and medical professional sponsors, are God Sends to me. I appreciate them more than I can say, along with their willingness to work with Amazon to get their vital products to a larger marketplace, which includes me.

My eternal thanks to Amazon, Swanson, and Ancient Minerals,

Linda Shelnutt

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best!, March 14, 2009
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
This magnesium oil is the best available. I use it daily and get great results, including relaxed muscles, better sleep, and improved daytime energy. It's ultra pure because it's sourced from an ancient seabed a mile beneath the earth's surface. The key to prevent or lessen any burning sensation is just to start with a small amount you apply, and then gradually increase it. Some people dilute it 50-50 with water (in a spray bottle) or add it to any skin lotion to reduce burning or itching. Your skin adapts over time. Another idea is to apply it and let it sit for 15 minutes, then wipe it off with a damp cloth. This gets any itchy residue off after your skin absorbs the magnesium. You can use it in a bath or footbath. The key is regular use that allows the skin to adapt. I've purchased this product from different vendors, including Integrated Health which has great customer service. Overall, I give this product ten stars.

I strongly encourage anyone to try magnesium oil for themselves. Most Americans are magnesium deficient, largely because the quality of our soils has declined, greater consumption of processed foods, and the increase of calcium intake (e.g., via dairy or food supplements) without a corresponding increase in magnesium. Calcium is an antagonist to magnesium uptake and therefore must be balanced with adequate magnesium. In fact, adequate magnesium is required to properly assimilate magnesium.

Using magnesium oil is an excellent means to rapidly boost magnesium levels without many of the drawbacks of oral magnesium supplements (e.g., intestinal discomfort). That's not to say there is no place for magnesium supplements (especially if they are Krebs cycle salts). If you experience burning or itching, I encourage you to try my suggestions (above) for reducing these sensations, and not to give up on transdermal magnesium. If you give it a good try, you will most likely discover that the health benefits you gain will far exceed any initial discomfort you may experience while your body adapts to magnesium oil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant Get Enough!!!!, June 25, 2009
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I have been using Ancient Minerals Magnesium oil for about 3 months now, and I can not get enough of this stuff! It has done wonders for me, I share my testimonial with any and everyone that will listen. I sleep better, I am more relaxed, my 6 year stretch of a migraine a month is over. I am so happy to say that I no longer take magnesium orally, there is no need to when you are using the Ancient Minerals, I know my body needs and loves it, it just absorbs it right up! At first, there was a bit of stinging but I knew that it was because I had been depriving myself of the magnesium I needed for my body to function properly. I just stuck with it and 2 weeks into my everyday routine, the stinging subsided and now I just put the oil on and go! I am so anxious to try the other products such as the gel and the bath flakes, I'm sure if they are half as wonderful as this oil, then they will be a great addition to my magnesium protocol!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it now..no kidding!, November 7, 2009
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
Using this magnesium product twice a day has significantly increased my energy levels, and yes, even my libido. This really isn't all that surprising. Magnesium is critical for sex hormones in the human body. I'm 43 years old and have had several kidney stones, which can be an indicator of a magnesium deficiency. I was also diagnosed years ago with Fibromyalgia. Did I mention I'm sleeping much better? Goes on easy, absorbs quickly, and cleans up in a snap. It lives up to my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get Magnesium uptake!, October 6, 2009
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
Love this stuff! I don't like taking supplemental Magnesium due to gastrointestinal side effects, so this is wonderful! know most of us are deficient in Magnesium - which is SO important for cardiovascular health, bone health, neuromuscular optimization, overall healing. I personally find it VERY helpful as a gentle sleep aide, since I do not like prescription or even OTC medications as a rule. I also have found an interesting use for it - as the other reviews/info says, there may be a slight stinging sensation when it is applied (by the way, not a big deal - not painful, but not soothing either), but for some reason, when I put it on my underarms - there was no stinging whatsoever. Well, I noticed that I don't need any deodorant when I put this on me - my underarms remain fairly dry (I exercise quite a bit - so I will sweat some then, but NO smell). Anyway, I am psyched about this interesting added plus! Love the product. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars great magnesium supplement, January 24, 2010
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
been using it for 4+months. excellent way to get needed magnesium without taking pills. has helped as mood lifter,especially excellent for libido. if you put too much on, it can be very itchy. start with smaller amounts and build up to just the right amount. any light burning sensation goes away within minutes. i have found that smaller applications one to two times daily alleviates the itchiness and light burning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - magnesium is so important, January 25, 2012
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
This is the brand of magnesium oil Mark Sircus, author of Transdermal Magnesium Therapy: A New Modality for the Maintenance of Health recommends. It is a good quality product.

Transdermal magnesium is better absorbed than magnesium taken orally, and can be almost as effective as magnesium injections. Its use is far less involved and perhaps safer than injections or IVs, when transdermal magnesium is used at high doses. Transdermal magnesium experts have observed that this method of taking on magnesium seems to have the advantage of letting the body absorb magnesium where it is needed and only as much as is needed. In contrast, the amount taken orally and via injection involves a lot more guesswork and potential for side effects from too high a dose. However, these experts have also made it clear that their observation and opinion that only as much transdermal magnesium as is needed is absorbed has not yet been proven in studies, and that more research is needed in this area.

There are also other benefits to using magnesium oil over other forms of magnesium. Transdermal magnesium, magnesium taken in through the skin, can indirectly raise DHEA levels, making this form of magnesium a useful treatment for menopausal symptoms and PMS symptoms. Enhanced natural production of DHEA can also help promote adequate sleep (in accordance with circadian rhythms). DHEA is the master hormone from which many other hormones are made (eg. estrogen). Raising DHEA levels naturally avoids the problems caused by supplementing these other hormones directly. (Estrogen hormone replacement raises risk of blood clots, for example and while synthetic DHEA is a commonly-used nutritional supplement, evidence points to the greater safety and effectivenes of naturally-produced/endogenous DHEA, including lower risks from adverse effects, according to magnesium expert Mark Sircus Ac OMD.)

IV and transdermal magnesium bypasses the liver (reducing the load on the liver). Mark Sircus Ac OMD, says,

"Transdermal (skin) application of magnesium is actually superior to oral supplements in many ways and is the best practical way magnesium can be used as a medicine besides by direct injection. Transdermal magnesium delivers high levels of magnesium directly through the skin to the cellular level, bypassing common intestinal and kidney problems associated with oral use."

Magnesium deficiency can inhibit oral magnesium absorption, and so IV or transdermal magnesium may be necessary for a time if magnesium deficiency is severe, to help the person overcome this problem. IV and transdermal magnesium also do not have the same limits on the rate and amount of uptake and assimilation as oral magnesium.

According to magnesium expert Mark Sircus Ac OMD, magnesium deficiency can be corrected via oral magnesium supplements in 6 - 12 months, via transdermal magnesium in 4 weeks, and in 2 weeks via IVs or injections.

Magnesium oil is called an oil but is in fact just refined seawater that has a slightly oily feel sue to the high magnesium content. Magnesium oil is a high-density solution of concentrated magnesium chloride (roughly a third) and trace minerals suspended in pure water. (Forms which are not taken from the ocean are not ideal.)

Magnesium oil can be sprayed or rubbed on the skin, or can be added to baths or foot baths. More magnesium is absorbed through direct skin application than in a bath. More magnesium will be absorbed where 15 ml of magnesium oil is applied to the skin, than where 30 ml (1 oz) of magnesium oil is added to a bath. Thus the most cost-effective way to use transdermal magnesium is by applying it directly to the skin.

Magnesium oil can be sprayed on the legs to treat restless legs syndrome, or sprayed on any other part of the body where there is muscle pain, or just sprayed on the parts of the body that are most convenient to spray. A magnesium bath can be calming, and may be ideal where there is anxiety or an inability to wind down after the day and go to sleep or extreme pain or headache.

How much magnesium is absorbed transdermally varies from person to person and there are no exact figures available. More research is needed on the absorbability and bioavailability of transdermal magnesium.

As with all other forms of magnesium, it is important to break your magnesium doses up as much as possible rather than having one large daily dose. Thus if you have a nightly magnesium bath or foot bath, make sure you take your oral magnesium supplements or use magnesium directly on the skin (if applicable) as far removed from your bath time as possible. (You may choose to rub a small amount of magnesium oil on your skin on waking, and have magnesium tablets just before breakfast, lunch and dinner, for example, before having your nightly magnesium bath before going to bed.)

Metabolic cardiologist Dr Stephen T. Sinatra considers coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), L carnitine, D ribose and magnesium the `awesome foursome' of cardiovascular health.

Dr Sinatra explains that while 1 + 1 will always equal 2 in mathematics, in metabolic cardiology and nutritional medicine, when you are talking about substances that are synergistic with each other such as the `awesome foursome', 1 + 1 might equal 5 or even 10. In other words, the benefits of taking more than one of these substances at a time may far outweigh the benefits seen from taking any of them alone.

I dislike the itching feeling on my skin I get when I apply this product directly. I seem to have sensitive skin. But I have no problems at all adding a teaspoon of magnesium oil to my bath each night. It really helps my muscle and cardiac problems - along with high dose vitamin C, carnitine and CoQ10.

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

4.0 out of 5 stars Works., November 5, 2011
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I have read the previous reviews & agree with mostly all of them (5 star to 1 star). It is obvious the magnesium is a highly important mineral that most of us lack, especially as we get older. I would personally give this product 5 stars, but due to it's price it gets 4. As for the 1 star ratings, they are true but reactionary. Not every good product works for everyone. This stuff tingles/itches a little when you put it on. Leave it on for 20 min and wash it off. You won't be hit over the head with obvious positive effects... instead you will notice small benefits over time. As I understand it, magnesium needs to build up in your system. For example during this first month of my magnesium usage, a crack I have had in one of my big toe nails is disappearing. I have had it for over three years, & tried many things to repair it.

This same company sells bags of magnesium salts to be dissolved in bath water. They are also pricey, BUT you can make "oil" easily out of it by mixing it with water. This is actually more cost effective than buying the pre packaged "oil", as well as being a fantastic source for extremely relaxing bath therapy.

Give it a try. Do your research. Know your body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil, October 2, 2009
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
What a find! I was first introduced to Magnesium Oil from my doctor. She suggested that I first read, The Magnesium Miracle, and also Transdermal Magnesium Therapy. Ever since I have been a advocate for Magnesium Oil. The product has a consistency like a light oil, but is not. It is one of the purest products on earth, from which is comes. Magnesium chloride deficiency is one of the most common nutritional problems in the world, and so many of todays health problems, are related to deficient magnesium. As a side note, I have given up using all deodorant products because of the aluminum they contain, and instead spraying Magnesium Gel to my underarms which great success.Ancient Minerals Ultra Pure Magnesium Oil 64oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than a pill, December 19, 2009
Peanut "Kathy" (Castle Rock, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz. (Health and Beauty)
The spray is easy to use and I can tell the absorption is much better than a pill in the digestive tract. I can tell if I am getting enough if my heart valve starts fluttering again, so I spray a little more. It does tend to sting a little at times so I put some aloe vera gel with it and no problem then. So nice to give my "guts" a little break!

Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil 8 oz.
$35.00