Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

100%

on February 21, 2006
I've watched a ton of documentaries on Stonehenge, and this box set contains the first one I've seen that almost gets it right - "The Secret of Stonehenge." The episode delves into the history of moon worship (sadly, but forgiveably, without touching on the ancient lunar calendars of the ice age), which occured before the sun worship that characterized the era of Stonehenge's final construction. It even speculates on the meaning of henge symbols throughout Northern Europe by comparing these symbols to the more-ancient, trance-induced art of the San Bushmen in South Africa (they do miss that the spirals on Stonehenge, Mase Howe, etc. are directly related to measurements of the sun shadows between equinoxes. But the rest is still intriguing). They even speculate on the specific nature of ancient stonehenge rituals by comparing it to the rituals still performed to this day at the Stonehenge located in Madagascar.

Another noteable episode is "Tracking the First Americans," which identifies the recent excavation of 50,000 year old Aborigine cave art and human remains in Brazil. Astounding archeological proof that that were the first humans to make it to the Americas by sea thousands of years before the first would-be Native Americans made it by means of the land bridge.

I've yet to watch the last disc of episodes, but these two episodes alone have made the set worthy of my purchase.
on February 22, 2006
Like the other reviewer, I too am writing before I have finished viewing the entire series because, after watching 4 episodes, I am already impressed with the quality of this series. I was wary of an episode on Noah's Flood, but was fascinated by the theory on the Black Sea. The first three episodes were equally as informative and provocative. I gambled on the Time Life name and I am not at all disappointed. Mark Hamill narrates the series and does an excellent job.
on June 7, 2013
I bought this a couple of years ago I think as a present. It has 11 different shows on the box-set and for my money they are all interesting enough to be watched a number of times. The compilation was created by TimeLife/BBC and so you know you are getting something very good for your money. The shows all stand on their own and are all different mysteries from all over the world, including 'Egypt's Lost City', 'Traders of the Dead Sea Scrolls', 'Tracking the First Americans', 'The Secret of Stonehenge' to name but four of the eleven shows.

They are all presented, or narrated should I say, by Mark Hamill (who was Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars trilogy) and his voice is perfect for the series and works well; he seems as interested in the myths and legends and so on as you will be. Throughout the series, there are credited professors talking on the subjects, usually from American or British universities, and assessing the subjects under discussion. This means that as well as being what they are, very good pieces of entertainment, they are also scholarly in nature too, which is nice to be honest. I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this series and at this time I am watching them all over again.

I might add, that my very favourite, or one of my favourite shows, is called 'Cahokia: America's Lost City.' This is about a civilisation that flourished before the Spanish got to the New World and who built complex cities all over the South East United States, with one particular ancient city being where St Louis is now. I learnt a few things I never knew about this, and also came across a Native American Archaeologist called Dr Joe Watkins, who is of Choctaw descent and who is in this particular show. He can also be found online as he is a part of America's Time Team. The subject of Cahokia also came up in the January 2011 edition of the National Geographic.

To sum up; I really enjoyed this series the first time I viewed it and am enjoying it all over again! I can't recommend it highly enough.
on December 24, 2010
This is a very interesting series of programs. They are well researched and well made. I would purchase again.