Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: And a Nightingale Sang
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on October 7, 2000
Although this film pales in comparison to the beautiful play from which it was based, this is still nonetheless worth watching. Joan Plowtwright is excellent as the mother, while the movie is commanded by a talented British ensemble. The story is often funny, poignant, and heartbreaking as it tells the wonderful story of one family's strength to endure through hardship. Unlike many pictures that have dealt with WWII, "Nightingale" is extremely effective as it deals with the war on a very personal and intimate basis. The overall feeling this movie leaves on the viewer is an odd but wonderful combination of peace, sadness, and hope. Therefore, I give "And A Nightingale Sang" five stars without reservation!
on July 23, 2013
A wonderful film which allows one to feel and experience the terrible years of the war in England. It is true that they keep a stiff upper lip, regardless of the adversity. I will always enjoy this movie and the acting is, as always, superbly British.
on February 13, 2013
...but it would've been nice if I had been aware that it was not in the format we can watch here in the US. It is a UK-formatted dvd. I keep it and hope that, eventually, a version I can watch will be released here in the States. Phyllis Logan has been one of my favourite actresses ever since she was Lady Jane Felsham in Lovejoy, and she continues to be a favourite as a character actress portraying Mrs. Hughes in Downton Abbey. She's also from a little town called Paisley, Scotland; when I was a teenager, I had a penpal who lived in Paisley so I feel a connection to Phyllis as a person too. I hope someone here in the US will release this title in our dvd format!!! I'll buy it when they do!!!
on October 20, 2012
The DVD format was for the UK and I live in the US. No mention of this on the purchase site. I can watch it on my computer, but my DVD player will not play it. This should be information clearly stated so that anyone could know prior to purchase.
on April 29, 2015
The movie was delivered in a timely manner. The copy was bad, but it is from an old tv show. It was viewable.
on January 11, 2011
This is a film of a play by an innovative and humane playwright, who should be much better know, but films like this are not made or dorwned in the noise of the violence and abuse narratives of our culture today. See Good with Viggo Mortensen too.