5.0 out of 5 stars THEN THERE WAS ONE
Published on December 20, 1999 by JACKSON A.K.A. THE LION

1.0 out of 5 stars gutter trash
this new DMX album is almost unlistenable. it's like listening to metallica to me... just noise
Published on January 5, 2000 by a former rap fan disillusioned...

5.0 out of 5 stars THEN THERE WAS ONE, December 20, 1999
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
THEY SAY YOU SAVE THE BEST FOR LAST....WELL THE TIME HAS COME, AND THE BEST IS HERE. DMX'S THIRD, AND BEST ALBUM "..AND THEN THERE WAS X" IS BY FAR THE BEST RAP CD OF 1999. X BRINGS IT ON EVERY SINGLE TRACK. HIS FLOW IS POWERFUL WHETHER HE'S RHYMING FAST, OR SLOW. HIS VOICE IS SO CRYSTAL THAT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND EVERY WORD. THE BEATS ARE SUPERB(ESPECIALLY CHECK OUT THE HAUNTING PIANO RIFTS ON "HERE WE GO AGAIN") PRAYER 3 KEEPS IT REAL AND IS MOVING, AND WHEN BACKED BY THE TRACK "ANGEL" THE COMBO IS UNREAL...PEOPLE HAVE CALLED HIM THE SECOND COMMING....WELL FORGET THAT HE IS HERE. THIS CD IS A MUST FOR TRUE HIP-HOP HEADS!GET YOURS....I GOT MINE! TO MY BROTHER CHRIS IN N.C. THIS IS THE REAL-DEAL,ONE LOVE! TO TODDY I LOVE YOU FOREVER& A DAY. I MISS YOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars I became a rap fan because of DMX and this album!, December 7, 2004
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
Unlike many DMX fans, I started with this album. Why? Well, it was because I was never big on music before this album.

Before this album, my main source of music was the radio, and I listened mainly to 80's rock. NONE of my family members listened to modern music either, they all listened to oldies music too. However, one day, my sister's boyfriend asked me to come into his car to check out his new CD player. Well, the CD he decided to play was this album.

When "What These *****"** Really Want From A *****" popped up blaring extremely loud and uncensored, I was changed. I sat with my jaw dropped and I loved the track. I turned to other tracks and loved them all too, especially Party Up. With this album, I wondered what was out there, and I turned to MTV for the first time. I was introduced to a bevy of new music, including DMX's older albums (this was his new album at the time, so no Great Depression or anything like that).

So that is why I love DMX so much. He introduced me to rap and modern music. My story is testimony that this album is EXCELLENT! Tracks like the ones mentioned above and the rest are unbelievable! Unlike many rappers today, DMX stays consistent. In other words, he doesn't go from rap to R&B suddenly.

The best thing about this album is that it's so dark and it stays dark using a series of implicative lyrics. Rappers today tend to just outright say stupid things, DMX lets you guess for yourself, and that makes this album good. It's dark, creepy, and probably not something you want to introduce to a child because it will scare the hell out of him.

His skits can be annoying, but they're a defining attribute of his albums, so you can't blame him. His slow skits is outweight by his flowing lyrics, and hey, his beats are not bad either.

This is a definitive album, people. Get it! You may never hear anything like it again, especially since DMX's new albums sound terrible, unfortunately. Rap today (hell, pretty much all music) is so bad that I lost interest in it all. Today's music is so bad that I went back to listening to 80's rock.

My point is that everyone should get this album. Modern rap doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so get this album for a taste of GOOD rap.

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel you so much DMX!, December 28, 1999
Joanna Zachery-Meade "Joanna" (Union City, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
I have followed DMX's music all along the way. I have all three cd's! I honestly love listening to him to and from work in traffic. It gives me the rush I need to make it through! He also gets me in the mood when going out. After having seen his performance in his movie, it just made me even more attracted to the man behind the music. Trust me, I'm not a child, I'm a 24 year old woman and I still have a passion for rap/hip hop. DMX is truly a great artist and has tremedous staying power.

5.0 out of 5 stars DA 'X' MAN, April 6, 2000
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
I BOUGHT THIS CD THE OTHER DAY. AND I REALLY LIKED IT ALOT. IT'S REALLY OF THE HOOK! DMX CAN TELL IT LIKE IT IS. MY FAVORITE JAM IS 'FAME' CAUSE THE BASS REALLY KICKSAND DMX PUTS IT PLAINLY WHAT STREET LIFE IS ALL ABOUT.IT'S A COOL CD I'D RECOMEND IT TO MY FRIENDS.ONE MORE THING. WHY DO GOOD GIRLS LIKE BAD BOYS? HAHAHAH!

5.0 out of 5 stars DMX the dog is always on time., December 27, 1999
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
DMX new album is bangin "What's my name" is beating up trunk's every where. There's tracks like "One more road to cross" ,and "The Professional" are more of the dogs stories of his life. This album is worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of '99, December 24, 1999
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
I was highly anticipating this release from X, and he did not disappoint! This is another hot album and proves that DMX is one of the most talented and inspired lyrical poets of hip hop today. How many other artists break out and release 3 albums in 2 years? He's got a gift that other artists could only wish for. If you've heard and liked DMX's other albums you won't be disappointed by this one. All the songs are tight. The bonus track "Good Girls, Bad Guys" at the end is HOT! Just when you think the album is over that song comes on and proves to be one of the best on the whole CD. I highly recommend this album!

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 million plus...stop comparing it..., June 21, 2000
JQ (Aurora, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
I am sick of hearing that this CD is not as good as 'It's Dark & Hell is Hot' that is a classic and most people never top their classics. Jordan won six rings but nothing topped the one when he came out of retirement and won it the next year. And please stop comparing him to style biters who got their new found style from X. Bottom line this album and the last one is better than most albums that's out now. What everyone is missing but doesn't realize that Grease and PK did most of the production on the first album and then Swiss took over. While Swisss is hot he doesn't supple the X like tracks like the first album. X is not like any other MC feel what he is saying and you'll know whether he is contradicting himself. This album is more fan friendly what's wrong with that. At least he doesn't turn pop or to old show tunes to sell records. If you ever get a chance to hear vintage X on old mixed tapes you'll see the contradiction that lies within his soul. He is an entertainer and at the same time he is expressing his pain learn which song is which before you criticize this album. Every album has had a signiture that hits everyone this album it's 'What's my Name' the way he rides the track makes his lyrics that more potent. If anyone thinks that they can battle him try, he hasn't lost one yet. Pick the CD up or not this is album is worth adding to your collection. ONE - JQ.

5.0 out of 5 stars What are these haters talking about?, January 8, 2000
HOLD ON A MINUTE.
1. Haters who say its more of the same. OF COURSE IT IS THATS WHAT BEING A FAN IS ABOUT...JUST LIKE CASH $ CATS WILL TALK ABOUT MONEY AND JEWELS...BUT IT NEVER GETS BORING..ITS ALWAYS FRESH AND ORIGINAL (UNDERLINED)
2. He is a Hypocrite...in one track hes talking about stealing money...and in the other hes saying he doesnt worship money. HE IS TALKING ABOUT THE STREET LIFE YA HEARD..YOU THINK HES REALLY (I WOULD UNDERLINE THAT IF I COULD) STEALING MONEY TODAY? AND IN THE PRAYER, HE SAYS HE DOESNT WORSHIP MONEY...WHICH HE DOESNT..OR HE WOULD HAVE RETIRED WITH HIS MILLIONS BY NOW.
3. FABRICATED AND COMMERCIAL? DO YOU SEE HIM WITH MILLIONS OF FEATURED ARTISTS ON THIS JOINT? TAKE A LOOK AT PUFFY'S FOREVER AND YOU'LL KNOW WHAT COMMERCIAL AND FABRICATED IS.
4. Point to ponder: I don't even call him a rapper anymore..hes an artist...someone like lil wayne is a rapper. And you know why he's not a JUST a rapper? Because RAPPERS dont get invited to WOODSTOCK and much less ROCK A 98% WHITE AUDIENCE YA HEARD ME?
ONE LOVE X

1.0 out of 5 stars gutter trash, January 5, 2000
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
I've absolutely "outgrown" rap music... Tupac is the only rap I can listen. It all has meaning and a method to it. It's not random talk of murdering other people... like Pac said "all these judgements on other lives need to stop!" I agree.. an artist like DMX is just infantile banter and a negative of view of black people in general.
You have the right to your own opinion. But show me the political conciousness of "Letter to the President," the story of making it through life without a father in an environment that does not allow one to reach their full potential like Pac does *so* eloqently in "still i rise" the song, the telling of a young girl overcoming the strongest adversarial occurances in life like "baby dont cry", the excellant storytelling of "tear drops and closed caskets" that exposes the heart of soul of an unending cycle within life through characters and perfectly sychronized flows from more than 6 rappers, the falsehood of the youth in general thinking that they are invincable against the world in the incedible "u can be touched"..... on DMX's CD. And dont even get me started on the greatest song of the whole album "The Good Die Young".. this song discusses everything from TWA Flight 800 crash, Colombine, Okhaloma city bombing, Yummy Sandifer, Pat Buchanan's take on welfare, to the church burnings, to simply life in these "hard times."
DMX's cd is a growling man repeating phrases that make him appealing to someone like yourself.
In conclusion: 2Pac's music means something; DMX's words are not wise and well phrased as a Pac was they are the VOICE OF IGNORANCE. while pac tried to solve "The problem"... the support that artists like DMX, Jay Z, (all other rappers EAST WEST NORTH SOUTH that promulgate violent meaningless lyrics) IS THE PROBLEM.
2Pac was a much more entertaining character... DMX's entire image was created by the Def Jam staff. as you can see from his mixtape appearances (if you've been listening to him for that long) he had no persona. The Def Jam staff (marketing wizards) sat down and decided that the massive segment of the rap record buying public that had been occupied by Pac was WIDE OPEN. So they created this "dont give a ____" "thugging" image for DMX. The difference is where Pac possed this image, he had so many other emotions and utterances. DMX on the other is a 1-dimensional character that simply concentrates on this one image while tricking people like you into buying his album. He's a tupac impersonator... and a weak one at that.
not to mention his annoying flow, weak beats, stupid interludes.

1.0 out of 5 stars How do you go from It's dark to this?, January 11, 2000
This review is from: And Then There Was X (Audio CD)
I thought you are supposed to get better not worse with every disc but DMX put out it's dark and hell is hot (one of the best cd's I have EVER heard)then does blood and then this it's just sad and I am starting to understand where kurupt is coming from.There is nothing that even comes close to it's dark,no damien no talks to god no nothing he is definately following the east coast puff daddy jigga fall off every year trend at least da WU TANG will be able to hold down a piece of da east because the WEST IS back on top where we should be.Sincerly Calvin Brodus AKA Snoop Dogg.

And Then There Was X
And Then There Was X by DMX (Audio CD - 1999)
Rate and Discover Movies