5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Dragon NaturallySpeaking
I purchased Dragon NaturallySpeaking and found that the included headset was very poor quality which resulted in Dragon NaturallySpeaking barely functioning. I decided to buy a quality headset. I chose the Andrea NC-185VM USB digital headset. Don't worry if you don't have a digital sound card, one is integrated into the cable of this headset. It cost about $50. Now...
Published on December 30, 2010 by Carl R. Gibson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so Great
I bought this headset based on its six star rating on the Dragon NaturallySpeaking website. Performance has been a huge disappointment. I have a Logitech H360 headset that, in real world terms, outperforms the Andrea headset hands-down, plus the Logitech is more comfortable since the band goes behind the head not over it like the Andrea.

I've tried both...
Published on December 6, 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headphones for Use with Speech Recognition Software like Dragon NaturallySpeaking, March 3, 2012
This review is from: Andrea Electronics C1-1022600-50 model NC-185 VM USB High Fidelity Stereo USB Computer Headset with Noise Canceling Microphone and Volume/Mute Controls (Personal Computers)
I bought the Andrea headphones to use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11 Student Edition. I had read reviews that indicated that these microphones were great for use with speech recognition software, and I based my purchasing decision on those reviews. My expectations were high for these headphones, and they managed to live up to every one of them.

About the only caveat is that the microphone stem is rather long and more flexible than those found on many otherwise similarly styled headsets. This made it difficult for me to position and keep the mic positioned alongside of my mouth where it would not pick up breathing sounds from either my nose or mouth. I soon realized that if I turned the microphone stem around as if I were going to use it on the back of my head and then curved the microphone stem down and forward (in a C shape) that I could then line the mic up in the position that I need for dictation. I guess my face is too short or something to use the headset in the 'normal' way.

There's no CD included in the box. You have to follow the instructions included in the box on where to get the latest drivers, the Audio Commander Software, and the User Guide. The download and installation didn't take very long, so it wasn't a hassle to not have the CD and it did ensure that I had the latest drivers.

A lightweight, comfortable headset that's great for speech recognition, VoIP, and other applications where quality and noise cancellation are important. With its modest price and high quality, I feel like I got more than I paid for when I bought these headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good stereo headset, March 26, 2011
A great product for Dragon Naturally Speaking, I use the headset with no errors with it. The playback sounds great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Headphone, January 17, 2012
Initially, I bought this headset to use with Dragon, but I ended up using this headset for the many conference calls I attend at work. I found it very comfortable and very responsive -- especially for the price. My laptop and VOIP software immediately recognized the headset and it was truly plug-n-play.

The only minor complaint I have is that the sound is a tiny bit muffled. It is not quite sharp as I am used to. Other than that minor complaint, I truly enjoy using this headset.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for dragon, August 4, 2011
I bought this for use with Dragon naturally speaking premium. The microphone is excellent with good noise cancellation feature. As this is a USB microphone, the sound quality is better than an analog one. The earphones are also good and I was comfortable wearing this for 2 hours. I would recommend this product particularly for Dragon speech recognition customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrea Electronics NC-185VM USB High Fidelity USB Stereo PC Headset, March 6, 2011
I use this headset for dictating into Dragon NaturallySpeaking. It works great. An excellent product and I highly recommend it. You can find a lot more information on it at:[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Windows 7 Voice Recognition, August 14, 2011
Sam Fisher (Rockville, MD.) - See all my reviews
I took a chance and was hoping that I 'didn't get what I paid for' by buying a moderately priced set of headphones. I wasn't disappointed though, they do work well with Win 7 voice recognition. I would imagine that they work well with voip programs as well. I've used them with Echolink and they work well with it. About the only thing I'm not to crazy about is the sponge foam ear pads. Every pair of headphones I've had the foam deteriorates to quickly. The software that you need to download for the phones installed quickly and without any pain in Win 7. I re-trained Win 7 voice recognition with these, and now I'm getting about 90% accuracy. Part of my problems with it are my voice. Someone with a real clear voice should be able to do better with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars works well but uncomfortable for me, April 12, 2011
Like the some of the other reviewers, I purchased these to use with Dragon 11. The headset works well. However, I wear glasses and these headphones are very uncomfortable for me if worn for longer than an hour. Removing the glasses helps a little, but does not eliminate the pain from my ears being smashed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, October 16, 2010
Great sound, comfortable. My main use is the microphone with Dragon Naturally Speaking 11. It works exceptionally well. I use w/ MS Vista. Occasionally it doesn't recognize the headphones. Unplugging the USB and replugging fixes the problem. Probably a Windows issue, not the headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for speech recognition!, April 9, 2013
I have tried various microphones including desktop microphones in the moderate to low priced categories. My primary concern is for speech recognition using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12. Of all the moderate to low priced microphones I have tried (I haven't wasted money on the top of the line models nor compared them) this one is the best for speech recognition. I don't really use this headset to listen to music since I use plug-in earbuds and even using my computer speakers at a relatively loud volume has little or no affect on accuracy, the noise canceling is that good.

There is one thing you should do if you purchase this headset and that is to buy a USB sound card and plug your microphone into that device. I have had excellent results with this soundcard: Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS. If you enunciate clearly and understand the basics of speech recognition and what it can do and what it cannot do you will get close to 100% accuracy using this headset. Maybe, if you want to spend a lot more you might get higher accuracy but I doubt that. This headset is all you need.

One hint: If you are primarily interested in voice recognition (I use earbuds for music), then you might consider the monaural Andrea models (NC-181xx) instead since they are lighter and more comfortable. Also, I never really use the volume or mute switch since I use my keyboard instead so you would not need the 'VM' models. All models (NC-181xx and NC-185xx) use the same microphone so the Dragon accuracy will be the same for each.

5.0 out of 5 stars I never knew a Microphone headset could be so sophisticated., January 24, 2013
- Pinpoint voice/sound quality modulation -check
- 2 minute glitch free support software download - check
- Window Speech recognition working like a charm - check
- Everything as described on product description and better - check
- Superlative noise cancellation - check
- Multifunctional AudioCommand centre - check
- Sturdy build - check
- Flexible easy to position boom - check
- No interference with any other functions check
- Intuitive controls integrated with overall system controls - check
- Significant improvement in all sound/voice functions - check
- Only 45 dollars including shipping - check
- Long cable - check
- In line controls for volume and mute - check
- External USB sound card check

It cannot get better at this price. Thoroughly satisified. Disclaimer: used it for a few hours now. Will revisit within a month.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›