‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy Buckram's Tin Men, October 2, 2000
Amazon Customer (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
It's funny, I've read hundreds of books over the years but this book has stayed on my mind since I was a kid. Andy Buckram's Tin Men was that wonderful mixture of fun, science, and luck. Andy was the kind of kid you always wanted to be. He was Boy's Life and Popular Science come to life. I'm sorry to see this terrific book is out of print. I still have my original copy, but I just can't find it anywhere. I'm afraid I lent it to some kid who never returned it. I can only hope it makes them appreciate reading as much as it did for me. Here's hoping for a reprint, and soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy Buckram's Tin Men, September 18, 2000
Michelle Mieure (West Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
Like the rest of the reviews, this is the one book that stands out in my memory. I have been searching for this book for years. I got a copy the other day in auction at eBay. I paid about $15.00. I also found a place through Amazon called "Book Rescue" that sometimes has a copy. The price at Book Rescue is a bit higher ($80-$100) but I think any price is worth it for this wonderful book. I wonder if we start a chain letter, would we be able to get it back in print. I would love to see this in every school library in the USA. Books just arnt what they used to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars This was my favorite book from childhood., April 14, 1999
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
There's not much more I can add that the previous reviews haven't already said. This was by far the one book from my early years that I remember so vividly, and one of the reasons I read so avidly. I haven't read it in more than 20 years, but I checked it out so many times that the copy at my elementary school library needed to be replaced. : ) I am now an actor and work in film production and for years have been thinking of writing a script for it, to make it into a movie. After reading the reviews, it seems that it will be well received. Wish me luck in getting it produced, and if anyone has a lead on were I can get a copy of the book, please let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treasure, January 4, 2000
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
I checked this book out of my elementary school library 30 years ago and it inspired a lifelong love of reading. I finally found a copy at one of the public library branches recently and my son thought it was great. Funny how it has stood out over the years out of all the childhood books I've read, just as it has for the other reviewers. It really should be brought back into print.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for boys of all ages, January 7, 2001
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
A wonderful book that is full of adventure, intelligence, a wry sense of humor (almost reminiscent of the Henry Reed books) and fun! Not my number 1 favorite - that honor is held in a tie by "Bonnie's Boy" a wonderful (out of print) story of a young boy and his dog (still makes me cry!) and Kin Platt's "Sinbad and Me" another treasure that's out of print for some inexplicable reason. However, "Andy" is in my top five, and like others here, one that I could never get out of my head. Some of the language and technology is dated, of course, but the characters are wonderful and the story is extremely engaging.
Thank goodness that I saved my copy from childhood - who could imagine it would still be with me now? (You should have heard my shout of joy when I found it amongst some old belongings a couple of years ago!!)
My kids are going to read it soon, and I'm looking forward to talking it through with them as they read it.
I would LOVE a movie on this book - a great idea and easy to do now with "simple" FX.
Good luck to those searching for it, it's worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful old fashioned story that kids still love today, June 5, 2007
I read this in my youth (early 70's) and fell in love with it and re-read it many, many times over the years. It's a very sweet, innocent book with fun/funny characters and a story that is humorous, a little thrilling (three kids and three home-made robots surviving on their own after a flood maroons them on a small island briefly!).

Who could possibly resist a story with robots made by a young boy from Cambells soup cans?! Don't miss this one, get it for your kids, read it for yourself to enjoy a momnent from a time when we had just reached the moon, and really could believe that kids making their own robots was just around the corner...

Both of my boys have read this book and loved it as well...some of the slang from the period (in the "Gee whiz!" tradition) was very interesting to them. Probably more of a "boys'" book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Rosebud: Boyhood Adventures Fondly Remembered., November 9, 1997
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
I am always intrigued by the inventiveness of good science fiction when it is wrapped up in an attractive package. "Tin Men" does this eloquently for young teens; however, I have not read this book in over 30 years.
In a rural setting, it is the simple story of a very clever teenager, Andy Buckram, who builds mechanical robots out of old soup cans, cables, and electric motors. He builds 3 robots, gives them names, and dresses them up like people. These robots can only perform very simple tasks like open doors and take out the garbage and they must be plugged into an electrical outlet.

One day a lightning and flash flood storm hits. Andy's Dad is injured and cannot help his family when suddenly, due to a lightning strike, the Tin Men come to life. Freed from their need for extension cords, they obey Andy and get the family to safety via a canoe.

Unfortunately, I forget how the story ends. After saving the family, I think the Tin Men are swept out to the deep river and lost forever.

The real story behind "Tin Men" is Andy's budding relationship with the neighbor girl (I forgot her name.) and his new feelings toward her as he grows from boyhood into manhood.

Somebody call Steven Spielberg.

On his deathbed, Citizen Kane fondly remembered his Rosebud sled from childhood. Maybe some of us still have time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of my childhood, May 18, 1998
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
I've read the other 2 reviews below, and I have to admit I'm struck by the similarity of the memories and emotions I also have for this book. Every 2 or 3 weeks I check Amazon to see if by some quirk of fate, there might be a reprint of this book. Of course there isn't, and then the "grown-up" inside of me says "it was just a silly kids book, it couldn't have been all that great. It just caught your eye at a vulnerable moment in your childhood." But I have 3 kids now and I really think they would enjoy this book. I just might have Amazon go looking for an old, used copy. Weird, how books can do that to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book that I read in Elementary School, March 7, 1999
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
I just read the other reviews of this out of print gem. By far the best book I read as a child and certainly was the book that set me on fire for reading. I read this book by flashlight at night one night until I was through because the lights were out so my sister could sleep. Please, Please find this book so that I can obtain it for my two sons. It was by far the book that changed me into a reader at an early age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy lives on in my memory still, February 3, 2009
This review is from: Andy Buckram's Tin Men (Hardcover)
Andy Buckram's Tin Men is one of my favorite books from childhood. I can't believe it is out of print.

I am estatic that I have my paperback copy from 1971.

I must have lent it out as it has my name on it in two places. Glad the borrower returned it.

I'd love to see this book back in print!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Andy Buckram's Tin Men
Andy Buckram's Tin Men by Carol Ryrie Brink (Hardcover - March 20, 1966)
Out of stock