4.0 out of 5 stars Another "Best Of" Book
Good Andy Rooney book if you have not had the opportunity to read his previous compilations. Even though there is little new material in this book it is valuable in that many of Rooney's original books are no longer readily available.

Published on October 29, 2009 by Kevin R. Austra

3.0 out of 5 stars His fans will like this.
I borrowed this for my Kindle from my local library. I found some of his comments amusing. I found the section on the war a little long. If you are a fan, you will like his smart aleck comments. He is a little too much of a curmudgeon for my tastes.
Published on June 15, 2012 by Dennis M. Raffaelli

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another "Best Of" Book, October 29, 2009
Kevin R. Austra (Delaware Valley, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit (Hardcover)

Having collected and read Andy Rooney's books and columns for 30 years I quickly recognized many of the essays in this volume. Essentially it is a snapshot of Rooney's 60-plus year broadcast career. For anyone who thinks that Andrew A. Rooney just got lucky, this book proves the adage that hard work and luck walk hand in hand. A budding journalist when he was reluctantly enlisted into the Army, Rooney learned his craft the hard way. After leaving the Army he continued his wartime partnership with seasoned reporter Bud Hutton and completed a one year stint at MGM in Hollywood as a writer. Soon afterward he joined CBS as a television writer. Eventually Rooney found himself writing for television and newspapers, as well as appearing in weekly segments on 60 MINUTES.

My only regret is that this book could do with an additional couple hundred pages. Andy Rooney has written so many down to earth essays -- and read quite a few of them on 60 MINUTES and on books on cassette -- that his book leaves the reader wishing for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!!, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit (Hardcover)
I gave this book to my husband for Christmas. He just loved it and is sharing it with many friends. If you like Andy on 60 minutes you will relate to many of his experences. He says this book was the best present I have given him in many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars gift to husband..., November 4, 2010
Although I haven't read it yet, I am looking forward to it. My husband is laughing out loud reading it. We are both Andy Rooney fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, August 13, 2013
I've been reading Andy Rooney's essays for many years, and was happy to see a compilation of his work over his long career. His wit and wisdom bring a knowing smile to my face, and I enjoyed reading his book. What's also nice about this book is that you can read an essay or two or more, then put the book down, and pick it back up at your leisure without missing a beat. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about the humor in everyday life. Andy Rooney remains a national treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy Rooney DVD, January 25, 2012
Anita L. Newbill "Luv2Laf" (Valrico, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This item arrived quickly and in perfect condition! I am happy to share it with my family who are younger and have missed many of his early years!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Andy Rooney Retrospective, December 21, 2011
If you are a fan of the late Andy Rooney, this book will warm your heart and let you in on 60 years of what made Andy Rooney such a favorite of the American public.
After reading it, you will go away with a warm feeling and an understanding of the word, 'curmudgeon'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, December 18, 2011
Great reading, funny
Things that were said by Mr. Rooney are quite true. Saying that we should all live by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, September 23, 2010
I origianlly purchased the Kindle edition to pass on to my grandmother, who is an avid '60 Minutes' fan, but I decided to 'flip through' it myself. Flipping through soon turned into steady reading! I really was not familar with Andy Rooney except by name, but I very much enjoyed his writing style and stories. His style is clear, concise, and to the point. His stories were wide-ranging and almost invaribly very interesting. I did notice that towards the end, there was some repitition of material, but I suppose that's only to be expected as the volume is a compilation of 'best of' over the course of 60 years. After reading this book, I now have a much better appreciation of Andy Rooney's contribution to American writing (both journalism and TV/broadcasting) and the plain speaking/commonsense thinking that he stands for. I enjoyed this very much and I know that Gram will love it too when I download it to her Kindle for her.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural wit, savvy and humor, July 8, 2011
Having read some of his previous books, specially Pieces of my mind which was the first book I read from Mr. Rooney, it still brings me great joy to read his wit, savvy and unique kind of wisdom to which he adds a little humor from his daily life and routine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good collection of Andy, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit (Hardcover)
Most of us already know if we like or loathe Rooney's work. This is a good general collection of Andy Rooney's writings that those who like will enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit by Andrew A. Rooney (Hardcover - October 27, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01