5.0 out of 5 stars It was a pretty good book!
I love this series, I just cannot get enough of it! But the cliff hanger at the end was awful and waiting for the next one to come is killing me!
Published on May 15, 2011 by Patch

2.0 out of 5 stars Long, drawn out series...
After reading this book, I was very disappointed. Disappointed in the writing, the flat characters, and the unsolved romantic issues.

Published on February 19, 2011 by For the Love of Books

2.0 out of 5 stars Long, drawn out series..., February 19, 2011

Yes, there were some really good moments. The Gasman and Angel are the only solid characters in the book. They have some new sides to them in this book, and we really get to see them opening up. The new Fang's gang had some quirky personalities that were easy to like and comedic, as well. But that was pretty much all the redeeming qualities of this book.

Max is over-the-top emotional. Yes, I understand her choice is difficult between the love of her life Fang and her meant to be soulmate Dylan, but seriously. Dragging your fans through multiple books of this melodramatic crap is too much.

To Mr. Patterson (and his staff of writers who help him with his novels), cut to the point. Please give your fans one last Maximum Ride book worth reading, like the first three books in the series. Give us our old Max back one last time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Truly heartbroken. But I still liked it., February 14, 2011
I have been a VERY obsessed flock lover since I started the series, but I'm so sorry, that possibly just ruined the whole dang thing. No answered questions, just more aching sick feelings whenever Dylan's name is even mentioned.
I dont wanna spoil it thatttt bad for people who haven't had a chance to drop dead yet, but let me just say that the ending FLIPPING SUCKED!!!
I'm so depressed and heartbroken and even kind of angry that I focused so much of my energy into this series, just to be crushed like this.
I was HYPED when I saw the book in my Kindle home page, THRILLED. Now I'm only feeling sad I started reading it.

James P, I love love love your writing, do NOT get me wrong, you're amazing, but the choices you make?! Seriously, is it Dylan or Fang?

The story line was......okay. The whole bomb thing was cool. Until certain things happen.

Angel was ABSOLUTELY my fave character in this one, by a mile! I loooove Fang, but with the whole 'Maya' thing, I couldn't take it.

Dylan must die. I would do pretty much whatever it takes to see the words in the next book 'And Dylan's life was over.' I'd be thrilled beyond belief.

Anyway, I'm so sorry JP, cuz I love you and all, but I'm just sad :(

Fly on.
Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Maximum Ride: A Sad Story of Romance Ruining Everything (It Seems), March 5, 2011
When I read them back in 2008, I could not put down the first three Maximum Ride books. I loved the characters, the plots, and found them really suspenseful, but not over-the-top dramatic. Books four and five, while still good, did not have the same exciting plots, which was disappointing. Book six, which had many elements similar to book one, was a step in the right direction, except for one glaring flaw - Dylan. Clearly, James Patterson was trying to attract fans of the (ridiculously laughable) Twilight saga by incorporating elements of eye-rolling romantic drama. While Twilight fans may have enjoyed this, a flock-hard like myself found Dylan completely cringe-worthy. Sadly, book seven, Angel: A Maximum Ride Novel, did not help. Dylan was tolerable when Max hated him, but, as she grew to like him, he became ridiculously annoying. I read Maximum Ride for the sci-fi, action, and plot, not for the hugs, kisses, and drama.
Still, Angel: A Maximum Ride Novel had some strengths. The antagonist, the crazy, brainwashing Doomsday Group, was easily most entertaining villain since the flock was on the run from the school in the early books. Unfortunately, the potential excitement of this group was marred by the presence of Dylan. The hints of romance between Max and Fang in the early books were exciting, but the blatant Twilight-copy that Patterson is trying to create is, pardon my French, suckish.
Speaking of Fang, oh boy. In this book, Fang has gone off and created his own separate flock. While this group of additional genetically enhanced kids has the potential to be exciting, it was not. The characters were ridiculously one dimensional, and were nothing but, well, there. The only reason why Fang left in the first place can be traced back, of course, to Dylan, the cause of all things annoying in recent Maximum Ride books. His flock had no purpose but to give Fang something to do. Clearly, if it weren't for Dylan, this book could have been better in so many ways.
Additionally, this book was ridiculously short. Way too many plot elements were left untied, of course to get you to read Patterson's eighth and final Maximum Ride book, due out next year. I plan on reading this book, not only out of hope that the Doomsday Group can remain exciting, but with some hope that Dylan dies. Maximum Ride is not bad, it just isn't as good as it used to be, which is a shame considering it has the potential to be good again. Again, there is only one character to blame - Dylan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Soap opera for kids, April 23, 2011
I remember when I first read the original Maximum Ride novel "The Angel Experiment". I was immediately captivated by the remarkable heroine, memorable cast of characters, fun storyline about super-powered kids living in a normal world, and an incredible sense of being hunted that I'd never felt in a book before. The series continued this way for two more novels, maintaining this tone for a trilogy. Unfortunatly after the trilogy ended and the series continued, it all went downhill.

Skipping past the absolutely abominable fourth novel "The Final Warning" which was nothing more than a liberal propaganda book in disguise for children, the series lost many essential elements and became more and more like a teenage soap opera than what it originally was: a fun fast paced series about a group of super human children who were being hunted by the scientists who created them. To be fair, the novels "Max" and "Fang" were actually enjoyable, albeit no where close to as good as the original trilogy, it wasn't until I read this newest installment "Angel" that the flaws of this on going series started to hit me.

For starters, there isn't any clear objective or any sense of direction for these stories. In the original trilogy, it was all about survival, family, and eventually: saving the world. With the lack of any sort of antagonists like the originals, there is little to no tension being built, nor does it feel like the heroes are being chased (which was an incredible strong point for the original trilogy). The series has been more about Max's love relationship with Fang and now this newcomer Dylan (who has the personality of sand paper, and he likes to sing for some reason). Even the new covers of the Maximum Ride novels resonate with my beliefs of this switch in tone. Look at any of the covers for the novels and then compare them to the original three's covers. The original covers had Fang standing on top of a building and brooding at the harshness that was their reality and all that they'd lost. It's visually striking as cover art and created a sense of sympathy for the characters. The new covers have a bunch of teenage models posing on the front like they're taking photos for The Gap.

As for the actual novel that I'm supposed to be reviewing "Angel" it revolves around the rift that's been formed between the protagonist Max and her ex-lover Fang. It only becomes harder to deal with when Dylan (her proclaimed perfect mate) continues to push himself toward her in hopes of winning her love. Meanwhile Fang has organized his own collection of super powered kids, for reasons that escape me (they don't really explain it very well). The antagonists come in the form of a massive cult of children known as the "Dooms Day Group", who believe the world should be reborn by killing all the humans through mass genocide and repopulated the earth with mutants like Max and the gang. I have several issues with this premise:
1. Why do they think this way? The reader is never told this, even when they find their supposed leader, you're still left blindsided as to why these kids are complete brainwashed nutjobs. I suppose it will be explained in the final novel.
2. How are they allowed to spread the word the way they do in the story? What kind of school would allow a bunch of kids to hold a large meeting in the gymnasium for global genocide? The kids actually scream "KILL THE HUMANS!"
3. The cult goes on and on about their supposed "One Light" belief. It's some kind of religious philosophy or higher power, I don't know. You know why I don't know? BECAUSE THEY NEVER EXPLAIN THE DAMN THING! We're never given any insight to the brainwashing of the children, other than embracing a new age of super-human splicing. Still it begs to question, why do they think this way? One of the characters even gets temporarily brainwashed by the cult and you're still left in the dust.

I have one final issue, this concerns not just this book but the entire series since the original trilogy ended. The series no longer has any central antagonist or sense of menace. I already explained before that a sense of being chased was one of the series earliest strong points, that's because it had such a great villain. Ari and the Erasers (human-wolf hybrids) were hunters designed to hunt down Max and the Flock. They were terrifying enemies and could easily out muscle them in a fight. Now without them the series has no tension. The Flock was always on their toes, keeping an eye out for people stalking them in fear of being beaten and dragged back to the labs in which they came from. It was incredibly thrilling fiction when I read it years ago. What do we get here? A bunch of mindless little brats who're brainwashed into global genocide, yeah it's kinda disappointing.

After all this you probably think I completely hate the majority of this series. That couldn't be further from the truth, I hold a very special place in my heart for this series which is why I'm so outspoken about its lowpoints "this book, and The Final Warning". I just hope James Patterson can send the series off with a decent final entry.

1.0 out of 5 stars A big let down, March 18, 2011
Me on the day Angle came out: "It's finally here!!! I can't believe it!!! I'm going to read this and enjoy every minute of it!!"
Me on the day I finished it: "Are you serious? This is what I spent $10 on??? I could have done something totally worth it in the time I read this book. You can get money back, but time is something you can't ever get back."
If you like disappointment and bad writing, than this is the book for you! The series was my favorite series now I feel stupid for starting this series. I don't even want to read the next book. This was the biggest disappointment ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars My List of Reasons why I am soo thoroughly disappointed int his book, April 28, 2011
SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOLIER ALERT!
you've been warned
Ok, so I was so disappointed in this book, worse then Fang. I feel as though James Patterson has committed Literary Suicide with this book, this is why:
1. Dylan...nuff said
2. Where'd the action go? is it hiding somewhere? better find it James, maybe it's with all the fans you lost from this book (ooohh sorry that was mean)
3. Max is all emotional, just like she was in Fang. she's not acting like herself. It's annoying.
4. WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY SAVING THE WORLD FROM?? it used to be Global Warming, now it's Doomsday, I'm confuzzled, make up you're mind
5. Maya, which brings me back to
6. Dylan
7. Is Max's hair Blonde or Brown? James keeps switiching it, it's confusing.
8. the whole Fang/Maya thing is just downright unhealthy, it's so obvoius she's the rebound girl because she's exactly like Max.
9. I never liked Fang's blog to begin with, it was a weird way to lay low, but hey it's proven useful once or twice
10. DYLAN
11. James can't just build up a romantic relationship for like 5 books and demolish it all in one, i liked how they were in Max, where they were cute, but they had their priorities straight
12. When did they get cell phones
13. the more i write the more i miss the first 3 books
14. seriously you need to kill off dylan
15. 'Imprint' Dylan 'imprinted' on Max. did James really just make a twilight reference? Okay it's official, do what you want, but get Dylan out of the way

alright, James you have one last book left. I hope it's not nearly as disappointing, please somehow within your last book clean up this mess you made. pretty please redeem the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars ...really? [this is an angry review. it may contain slight spoilers as well. read at your own volition], March 3, 2011
wow. thats all i can say. wow. and thats not a good wow either! i've folloowed the max ride series for years now, and i've been a hard-core max and fang fan. but this is just ridiculous. im sorry, but really? james patterson, you should have either ended it at book 3, gotten a better ghost writer, or better yet, you should have written them yourself. i sincerely hope you can save yourself with the next book, because this one was just terrible. the ending sucked, there was no max and fang action after all that build up, and the whole plotline is pretty much a repeat of the last two books. and while i dont despise him, dylan is sort of grating on my nerves. and max has totally changed. she should NOT be all mushy gushy with dylan. and you sure as hell netter not make fang end up with maya. please save the series in the next book, if not to appease the readers, then to save yourself from the surely oncoming angry mobs. the only reason that im refraining frm giving this book one star is becaue i still have hope for the series

2.0 out of 5 stars REALLY!, February 23, 2011
Where do i start? i loved the other books! they were all amazing and even though fang was the worst book ever (because he leaves her and angel....... dont get me started) i wanted to read this one. you get attached to the characters in the earlier books so you know what they are like. in this book everything seemed forced. max never sounded like herself (i know fang just broke her heart) and nudge really wasnt.
all JP did in this book was make me hate fang even more, really really really hate dylan, not want to read the next one, (im going to because i have to know if max goes back to fang) start to like angel again and wish max would get over her stupid hurt and decide who she wants to go with.
if james pattersons goal was to really dissapoint his readers then he achived his goal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is "Maya" back again?, April 2, 2011
I absolutely loved fang and max, Dylan was okay with fang stopping him, Maya is the worst: she is annoying, falling over Fang, messing with Max, and then you tried to redeem her at the end. What else would you do, make maya stand by and watch max die so she could have Fang? Here`s my suggestion, just get maya and dylan together, and let Max and Fang get over each other. This is coming from a teenager... With annoyane, but hope for the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, Plot and characters not written well., March 5, 2011
I have always loved the Maximum ride series but this book really disappointed me. It seems as if the characters change personalities in between books. To me, the plot is too loose, and leaves to many loose ends that end up making me confused. I still enjoyed this book, but the author needs to work on the plot and characters.

Angel: A Maximum Ride Novel
Angel: A Maximum Ride Novel by James Patterson (Mass Market Paperback - February 26, 2013)
$7.99