5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book
Published on August 25, 2009 by Pat Shand

2.0 out of 5 stars Too facile
I didn't care for the way they wrapped up this story arc -- very disappointing and too facile. MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

At the end, Angel gets himself killed so that the entire storyline so far can be negated. Poof! All is well -- no more Gunn as vampire (didn't see that one coming), Angel as human, Spike as harem-leader, Connor skewered.... just revert back in...
Published on August 14, 2010 by jules

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book, August 25, 2009
This review is from: Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4 (Hardcover)
What can I say about Angel: After the Fall that hasn't been said already by countless fans (myself included)? Brian Lynch crafted an epic, tragic, hilarious, and smart tale that was true to the characters and the story that had already been established. It referenced, ran with, and paid off plot threads that have been part of the mythology since the first season of the show. It kept the momentum of the series finale, "Not Fade Away," which I consider to be the best hour of television ever produced. It's by far my favorite comic (and this, specifically, is my favorite volume of the series).

I'll start with the art. Stephen Mooney does the first two issues and Franco Urru does the last three, and their styles are so utterly different, but the different styles here don't clash. They're both crazy good in their own right, with Stephen getting the likenesses and the dark tone of the series across in his pencils, and Franco getting the fluid action and the raw emotion across in his. Both of them are fine artists, and I'm glad that they got a chance to work on this series. They did Joss Whedon's world and Brian Lynch's words justice.

And speaking of those words. Brian Lynch manages to bring his own quirky writing style to the world of Angel without it being intrusive. His style completely compliments these established characters, and he has come to know them so well over these seventeen issues that they wouldn't sound more in-character if we had the actors themselves reading the lines. His writing is at its most emotional here, giving us both the saddest of tragedy and the happiest eucatastrophe of an ending. Like any Buffyverse finale, there is triumph, there is loss, there are tears, and there are a whole load of epic fights. Brian Lynch has given added a beautiful chapter to Angel that sums up everything great about the series, gives it a great ending, and sets up everything that is to come. Since Spike: Asylum, the first comic I ever loved and the first time I realized this medium can be as exciting as television, Brian Lynch has become my favorite comic writer, and if you don't think he's one of the best in the business, well... I don't know, you're wrong. And you smell.

In short, I love this story. It's my favorite book, and it makes me laugh out loud, feel all tense, and even tear up every time I read it.

10/10 Classic... and beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Closure to Not Fade Away, August 19, 2009
Occam's Razor (Redlands, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4 (Hardcover)
The After the Fall arc is brought to a satisfying end with Angel defeating Wolfram & Hart and restoring Los Angeles and its inhabitants back from the hell dimension it found itself thrown into at the beginning of the arc by a W&H wanting to punish Angel for his murder of all of the members of the Circle of the Black Thorn in the final episode "Not Fade Away" of Season 5. Josh Whedon has been reluctant to call this a Season 6. It is really an extended conclusion to Season 5, showing what would have happened during that climactic fight in the alley behind the Hyperion hotel between the remains of Team Angel against the army of W&H had the WB network changed its mind about cancelling the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars i want more, September 5, 2013
excellent.. bring on aftermath and last angel in hell please.. :)
such a reading list to finish off the buffy/angel verse

since your on angel after the fall volume 4
other recommended reading sorta in this order..

angel volume 5 aftermath
Buffy season 9 (1-25)
angel and faith (1-25)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept up with the series, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4 (Hardcover)
This number kept up with the TV serie and previous graphic novel. It is thriling and makes justice to all the characters. I just didn't care much for the end... seemed pointless to me. But it was worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally, the comics do it justice, February 5, 2014
Tom C (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
While you've got to read the other graphic novels so you can get to this point, this one is probably the best of the 4 "After the Fall" books. The conclusion feels like Angel and is "believable" in context of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but some might not like the ending, July 2, 2010
This review is from: Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4 (Hardcover)
The writing is strong, but the art isn't always clear enough to adequately convey the story to the reader. The supplemental materials in the volume go a long way towards rectifying that.

This volume is essentially a conclusion to the storyline. Some may not like how it ends, but I found it satisfactory.

In spite of these criticisms, would recommend highly to any fan.

WARNING--Volume 5 is nothing like the previous 4 volumes. Beware. Volume 6 continues nicely in the tradition set by volumes 1-4. At this time, I am unable to comment past the Volume 6 stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was a good read., June 1, 2014
This review is from: Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4 (Hardcover)
All the angel after the fall books I definitely enjoyed and they're a great read. The book was in great shape and I appreciate it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Continuity, June 15, 2013
It's worth reading, I still don't feel the writing is quite right, but ah well. I recommend this graphic series to any fan of the show.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Story Continues, May 4, 2013
Ah, ATF is over to soon! But not to worry, Angel's story continues. I am quite happy with After the Fall, but it definitely leaves you hanging! What will happen next?

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4, February 10, 2013
This review is from: Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4 (Hardcover)
This book is part of a series that my daughter enjoys. It was listed on her Wish List so, I knew exactly what to get. It arrived sooner than expected and in excellent condition. My daughter was pleased to have the next volume in the series.

Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4
Angel: After the Fall, Vol. 4 by Joss Whedon (Hardcover - July 28, 2009)
$24.99 $19.49