Title: Angel Fire (Angel #2)
Author: L.A. Weatherly
Publisher: Candlewick
Number of Pages: 636
Date of Release: January 24th, 2012
Summary From Goodreads:

In the wake of the Second Wave, the angel menace has exploded, and Alex and Willow are on the lam. Willow's prophetic dream points them to Mexico City, where they connect with a fledgling group of angel killers led by the exotically beautiful Kara, an Angel Killer from Alex's past. But the team remains suspicious of Willow, even after the more-experienced Alex takes over as leader, training them hard for a rush attack on the Seraphic Council, or "The Twelve." This elite group of all-powerful angels is also under the scrutiny of Willow's angel-father, Raziel, who has his own sinister plan to defeat them.

What Willow hasn't told Alex is that there was also a mysterious boy in her dream, one she felt overpoweringly attracted to. When brooding, gorgeous Seb shows up in the flesh, he turns out to be another--possibly the world's only other--half angel. He's been searching for Willow all his life, and when Alex enlists this rival to help keep Willow safe, he can't predict what chemistry will pass between them . . . or how far Willow might go to keep Alex safe. Will their love endure or spell doomsday for the human race?

Review: Please don't let the page count frighten you!! It actually flies by rather fast. I had been thinking about the first novel in the series, angel Burn, ever since I finished and was in desperate need for book two. There is something about the way L.A. Weatherly writes that just grabs your emotions and you better hold on for you are taken on an emotional rollercoaster.

The character development in the novel is a given to be huge because the novel is over 600 pages you just have to do it to get the reader interest. The amount of development and sheer new characters introduced is daunting and I'm not even sure the most skilled writer would do that to themselves. L.A. Weatherly added a mountain of new characters that I hated to love, you'll get it when you read and even more that are my new favorites. Not to mention Alex and Willows relationship which soared to new heights and was then thrown off the deepest cliff to see if it could survive. I actually really liked the introduction of Seb, because of the different traits he brought out in Willow. Alex's new role as leader of a fledgling group of AK's is pretty cool, and I never would have guessed that he would dread the responsibility.

So let's talk about some things that are so so. This book was long and in many ways I was very appreciative of that. There were things that could have been omitted and the story still would have been good, but then I would have not gotten the full explanations and layers added to the story. Also I mentioned in book one how I didn't like when Raziel would narrate. Well I still don't, but it was totally necessary for the twist in the novel to take place. At times the novel slowed and I just wanted action and then not soon after I said that something big would happen. If you were a fan of book one book two will so not disappoint!!!
on February 2, 2012
GREAT, GREAT BOOK!! Couldn't put it down!! I would read the 1st in the series (Angel Burn) before I read this one because it would be easier to follow along, since there isn't a dull moment in the book. There was Love, Friendship, Heartbreak and Action all in one novel. I found myself crying and laughing at certain chapters in Angel Fire. You won't be disappointed to buy and read this book, I promise. I loved it so much I re-read the last chapter the following day after I finished the book. I don't normally write reviews unless I really loved the book so you see I loved this one immensely
on January 30, 2012
As the second book in the Angel Burn seris, I thought this book was going to calm down to ready us for he third installment. I was pleasently surprised by the action and answers in this book. The twist is awesome and Alex and Willow get my approval in the 'love will out' department. L.A. Weatherly has done a fan-freakin'-tastic job so far on this trilogy and I can't wait for the next book. Literally begging for more. I didn't want the book to end.
on November 5, 2011
'Angel' (or 'Angel Burn' as it's titled in the US) was one of my favorite YA books of all time. It was just so beautifully written and believable, the characters were so vivid and their love story so touching - all that while still being a page-turner! The middle books in trilogies are often the weakest link, and I really hoped this wouldn't be true of 'Angel Fire'. But when I realized it was going to involve a love triangle - something I think has been done to death in this genre - I decided not to expect too much.

And I was completely wrong! Yes, this book does contain a love triangle, and it does make up a significant portion of the plot, but the three characters are so endearing, and their conflicting feelings so believable, that it works. In fact, the challenges to the relationships in this book - and I can't really say more without giving too much away - were so compelling that I did something I haven't done in years: skipped to the end to see how it all came out. It was just too heartbreaking to keep reading without some light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think it gives too much away to say that the ending is worth the painful parts - kind of like true love.

So. the reason I didn't give this five stars, like I gave 'Angel':

There are a lot of new characters in this book, but to me, only Seb was as compelling as Willow and Alex. In fact, the others never really became more than words on a page to me, and the parts they play in the story entirely two-dimensional. It almost felt like Weatherly only put them there to give Willow (and in one case, Alex) something to bounce off of. It was just too hard to believe that they'd all treat her exactly the same way, when they were such a varied group in such a volatile situation.

Another thing that bothered me was that the emotional climax was almost a verbatim repeat of the one in 'Angel' - different situation, but still basically Alex's hangups clashing with Willow's moral integrity so that he pushes her away when she needs him most, and only realizes his mistake when she's put in peril. I would have liked him to show a little more maturity this time around; in fact, he shows less. But hey, it makes for a great make-up scene!

There were also some sloppy bits that a less picky reader wouldn't notice, or wouldn't care about, but which drove me crazy - like the candles that are somehow already lit in the abandoned warehouse that Willow and Seb run to, allegedly on a split-second decision.

But overall, another great read. I'm really looking forward to the conclusion!
on September 23, 2013
Second in the Angel young adult urban fantasy about two half-angel/half-humans and the lengths to which they and their friends will go to rescue the Earth.

My Take
Well, it was boring to start, then it got interesting, and then it got intense---it made me cry. I suspect it might have been better if I'd read the first one first.

There are two separate storylines that eventually merge: Seb is looking for his counterpart while Willow wants to save the world.

It's an exaggerated dive into religious fanaticism, and Weatherly is so cynical...what's scarier is I agree with her! How all these people can ignore the truth around them...I just don't know. I do wish Weatherly had made this part of it more believable. Maybe it's simply part of my own indoctrination about angels that I can't understand how the angels can continue to devour. Or maybe that's part of the exaggeration. If it is, it could use some finessing.

It's an interesting twist on angels and makes me think of Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series. Only, Singh's writing is more adult, more polished. Still, Weatherly definitely turns the accepted concept of angels on its head with their maneuvering, plotting, and gameplaying, which makes it more interesting as I have no idea what will happen next. Raziel's thoughts about his daughter certainly aren't angelic.

Nice bit of tension when Willow and Seb meet, although it could have been handled more smoothly. Weatherly does make up for it with even more tension as Seb works with the AKs. More tension with the issues Weatherly creates for half-angels and how they may affect the humans with whom they spend time, the conflicting information about how the Council's deaths may affect the world, Willow's worries about her other half, and the love triangle, perhaps quadrangle?, developing within the group.

Rebellion, bigotry (from several sides), jealousy (I don't understand how someone as intelligent as Alex doesn't get why Willow likes having Seb around!), although Willow should have some consideration as well!

Oh, gross, Raziel is thinking of Angel Camp as a veal farm---full of humans!

The Story
Different from everyone else. Everyone. Seb is desperately searching for the other like him. A girl. A woman who wracks his dreams.

A search that may pay off, as the angels who are worshipped around the world are hunting the woman who dared while Alex and Willow are running.

Too many on Earth have succumbed to the lure of angels, but there's a small group in rebellion.

The Characters
Willow Fields is nephilim: half angel, half human. Aunt Jo took in Willow and Miranda when her mom's mental health worsened.

Alex Kylar is/was CIA and an Angel Killer; he and Willow are in love. Martin was his father; he died of too much exposure, angel burn. Cully, his brother, was also affected by exposure to angels.

Sebastían Carrera is from El DF, the Distrito Federal, Mexico City, and he's so full of it, LOL. A new story for every situation. He's quite clever in surviving and honorable in his way.

Raziel is the angel who leads the Church of Angels in the U.S., and he has his own plans. He's also Willow's father, a fact of which he was unaware until she confronted him. Jenny is one of Raziel's human assistants. Charmeine is another of the lower tier angels, but of the First Family, and she is determined to move up.

Kara is one of the Angel Killers, an AK. Sam, a.k.a., Tex; Liz, who loves to cook; Brendan; Trish; and, Wesley, the loner computer geek, were angel spotters. Until they graduated to AKs. Now if only they had some decent training. Luis is a guard at the Catedral Metropolitana. Sophie Kinney is CIA, part of the covert Project Angel. Juan Escobido is dead.

Nate and Elijah were renegade angels who broke from the rest to help humanity.

Lucy, Amanda, Céline, and Mike, are part of a group of American students fascinated by the angels whom Seb meets at the hostel.

The Seraphic Council, the Twelve, are the top tier of angels, the most powerful, the ones with the original angel energy. Isda is often their spokeswoman. Next level down are the First Family, angels formed soon after the Twelve. The angel Paschar foresees that Willow will destroy the angels.

The Crusaders are an anti-angel group.

The Cover
The cover has a softness to it, ethereal with the woman leaning so far forward in her white gown with its wrapped bodice crisscrossing over one breast that she appears to be running, even though it feels more like she's floating. The stylized outline of flames surround the title, Angel Fire, for she seems an angel and it burns.
on February 27, 2012
Wow! To say this book was intense would be a major understatement! I know I have a few more gray hairs after reading it. After all that went down in Angel Burn I knew this would have to be pretty crazy but it had some very exciting parts, as well. As well as some really stressful & heartbreaking parts, so prepare yourself! But there is also plenty of love & romance to warm your heart a little. I'm still not completely sure how I feel about the introduction of Sebastian. I'll have to see what the next book brings before I can decide.
on September 27, 2012
I loved Angel Fire. Though it was bit too long and seemed slightly stretched at times, the story was ah-mazing! I loved the characters, I loved the writing-style and I even liked the love-triangle! We got to know a lot more about Willow and Alex in this book, and the new, utterly swoon-worthy character Seb just renewed my interest in the series.

I actually liked Angel Fire a lot more than I'd liked Angel. Even though both the books were pretty slow at times, the action-packed scenes and the absolutely amazing character build-up in Angel Fire definitely made up for it.

I really, really liked Willow even though she was slightly different from the kind of female protagonists I like in my books. She was soft, caring, sweet and at the same time kicked-ass when she had to, though not for herself, but for the people she loved. Yep, self-less was another characteristic I liked in her :) She wasn't dumb or totally dependent on her strong, almost-perfect boyfriend. She could actually look after herself and knew when to take a stand of her own.

Alex was just as awesome as ever. He had his own moments when he seriously started doubting his relationship with Willow and I think that would've been annoying if he didn't have a pretty good reason for it. Still, the way Alex and Willow loved each other was incredibly sweet and I loved the way L.A.Weatherly wrote it.

Seb was one of the new characters introduced in this book (there were maaaaaany new characters) He was understanding, nice, and basically had almost all the characteristics of the guy in the love triangle whose not gonna be chosen

Even though I really liked this book, I feel that it could have been written in less than 706 pages. Other than that, I would say I found this book absolutely flawless. :D

For more of my reviews, log on to [...]
on September 20, 2012
First, I am just curious if anybody else noticed that the dress on this cover is the same dress on the Mara Dyer covers? I just happened to notice one day and found it funny. Anyway....this books picks up right were the first one left off. I took longer routes to places or I actually drove the speed limit so I could listen to more of this book. The narrator did a great job, just like the first time, with the exception of Alex's voice, which she changed for some strange reason (perhaps she forgot how she originally did Alex?).

For a lot of this story, my heart strings were being yanked on. I was so emotionally involved that my heart ached for Alex and Willow. They are still my favorite characters, and a new character, Seb, was introduced in this book, who I really enjoyed as well. Seb has a good heart and is a great strong character.

Just like the first book, this one has wonderful descriptions. I have never been to Mexico City, but the visual I got from the book is probably not far off from the real thing. The imagery is very vivid and the author really makes a clear picture with her words.

The story itself was great and full of action, especially everything that happened toward the end. It kept me enthralled and I can't wait for the third book, Angel Fever. There was a semi-heavy emphasis on the plan to lose virginity, which I'm not really sure what my feelings are for this. It almost seemed like it had to be done, like a requirement (if that makes any sense). Other than the couple of minor issues, I really thought this was a great book and would definitely recommend the Angel series to readers.

Wonderfully descriptive, full of action, tugs the heart strings, good narration, but had a voice change.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Willow and Alex survived the second wave. But with Willow face being plastered on every Church of Angels website she's easy to spot. So it time for a change. With her new short red hair, she and Alex are headed for Mexico in hopes to build a new Angel Killers team to strike again. But when Willow has a strange dream that practically pulls her to Mexico City not only because of a strange boy that she feels drawn to although she's never met but because something big is going to happen that she'll need to be there for things begin to take a strange turn. Once they get there things between her and Alex aren't right and on top of that her Angel seems to have gained a mind of her own. Willow is afraid that her angel is just as bad as the ones she is trying to fight. Angel Fire is the exciting sequel to L.A. Weatherly's Angel Burn.

I was excited to find that there was a sequel already out after I read the first one and it defiantly delivered. One of the main things I liked about this one that was different from the first is that there are a handful of new character's introduced into this one. This really changes the dynamics between Willow and Alex because in the first book it was always just the two of them.

Two of the characters that I really liked were Seb and Sam. *Spoiler* I like Seb because he, like Willow is half angel but he's known his whole life so therefore he really helps her come into her own. Sam is a true Texan through and through and frankly if he was a real person he'd probably bug me but there something that is very FNL Tim Riggins about him that I love.

You also get a better sense of the angels dynamics. There's a ruling that you didn't get in the first book because it was just a selective first wave group that was sent the earth as a test run. But now that it was successful more important people are coming and it really messes with Raziel's plans.
on September 13, 2012
This review is for both Angel and Angel Fire.

Also published here: [...]

These are the first 2 in a trilogy by L.A. Weatherly. They follow the story of Willow Fields, a half-angel, and her boyfriend Alex Kylar, who is an Angel Killer. Together they battle against an invasion of angels who threaten to take over humanity. Obviously its more involved than that, but that is the gist.

I checked the first one out from the library on a whim, having never read an "angel book" before. I guess I was a little unprepared for a story about evil angels - they feed off of human and cause "angel burn," which is the cause of mental illness, cancer, and all manner of bad things. That part is disturbing. I did enjoy the story though. The relationship between Willow and Alex is pretty interesting and realistic under the circumstances. Once I got past the angels not being these wonderful beings we think they are, the action sucked me in and I kept turning the pages to see what happened. I felt the first book was stronger than the second, but it ended well and I am interested to see how the trilogy concludes.

My one major complaint, however, is that Willow is not a strong woman. I realize this is not a prerequisite for a heroine, but in a genre that now includes Katniss, Tris, and many others, it was kind of a slap in the face to read about a girl who 1) doesn't do much to save herself and 2) whose male counterparts don't trust her to fight for herself. I am hoping that in the third book, Willow will evolve more and will learn to rely on herself more than Alex most of the time.

4/5 for Angel Burn (sometimes just called Angel)

3/5 for Angel Fire