5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Walk.. more than just a book, it's an enlightening experience., September 11, 2011
Michelle Tahiri (Inverness, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angel Walk: Nurses at War in Iraq and Afghanistan (Paperback)
Angel Walk provided me with a real view of modern day war. I have not been that immersed in a book since reading War and Peace by Tolstov. Her portrayal of the stories of the courageous men and women transported me into their lives, and gave me an even greater appreciation for all they sacrificed. To truly honor our servicemen and servicewomen we need to listen to their stories. This book is a tremendous gift for those who know someone who has served, for those who have served...so that they know they are not alone, and for those who want to understand the human tragedies and triumphs of the nurses that take care of those who need it most. Looking forward to reading Dr.Sharon Richie-Melvan's next book! :)Angel Walk: Nurses at War in Iraq and Afghanistan

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read to understand readjustment to life after deployment, November 10, 2011
Buzz (Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
Drs. Sharon Richie-Melvan and Diane Vines have put together a marvelous book for our military servicemen and women, their families, and healthcare professionals who want to assist them with readjustment back to civilian life. Angel Walk is a book that is honest, compassionate, and sensitive to the experiences of soldiers and "angels on the battlefield." Many people don't consider the impact wartime stressors have on nurses, medics, and physicians treating our soldiers. Until recently, even the VA did not recognize post-traumatic stress reactions can be just as severe for people not in direct combat, but who still daily witness the wounds of war.

Dr. Sharon and Dr. Diane are knowledgeable nurses who provide firsthand accounts from those who have served from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan. They also give sensible advice on ways to overcome post-traumatic stress, survivor guilt, feelings of isolation, and how to access support so you can reintegrate into civilian life successfully. Once I started reading it, I could not put this book down. If you or someone you care about has served during wartime and you want to understand how to support them, then get this book!

Courtney Armstrong, LPC/MHSP
Author of Transforming Traumatic Grief: Six Steps to Move from Grief to Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars We need to honor those that serve . . . THANK YOU, Nurses of War !, November 26, 2011
We need to honor those that serve . . . THANK YOU, Nurses of War authors for presenting a candid depiction of the challenges that our best and brightest face during and after their service on the front lines. We know the PTSD devastation of soldier's lives that serve in Vietnam . . . just visit the war memorial on Veteran's Day and weep with those that gave their all. And now we have returning soldiers and NURSES that have served in Afghanistan and Iraq that need to be able to tell their stories, they need to be heard, they need to be embraced to return to healthy lives by the citizens of the United States. God Bless them all for their service to a fair and decent world.

Angel Walk: Nurses at War in Iraq and Afghanistan
Angel Walk: Nurses at War in Iraq and Afghanistan by Sharon I. Richie-Melvan (Paperback - April 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $14.59