5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, NO static!
Bought this as a replacement for the Fisher-Price Sounds 'N Lights Dual Receiver Monitor M5578 which was horrible because of static and poor sound sensitivity.

This monitor has been among the best I've ever used (I've had many over the last 6 years).

PROS:

Published on August 20, 2010 by Sam Archer

3.0 out of 5 stars No static, but several small problems
Published on August 29, 2011 by Leo Dirac

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, NO static!, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)

PROS:

1. Very sensitive. There is a sensitivity control on the back of the base station which works great. You can even hear the kids breathing or whispering. The Fisher-Price would only work if my kid was screaming.

2. NO static or interference. Finally, a monitor that doesn't pick up stray radio programs or endless clicking and static. There can be a slight buzz if it's searching for a new channel but that's it. The Fisher-Price would buzz when trucks drove by or airplanes flew overhead, but this monitor doesn't do that.

3. Has multiple channels to select from to give you the clearest signal. Great if your neighbors have the same monitor so you don't listen to each other.

4. Excellent range. Good for at least 75 feet in my experience. Will even warn you if out of range.

5. Receiver uses rechargeable batteries which you can change yourself. You can upgrade the batteries if you want them to last longer, but this hasn't been a problem for me. Has lasted at least two days without needing recharge.

CON:

Only comes with one receiver. Most monitors come with two. You can get two if you buy the motion sensitive pad which I didn't need/want.

BOTTOM LINE:

Almost the perfect baby monitor. No static, good range, very sensitive, and lots of usable features.

3.0 out of 5 stars No static, but several small problems, August 29, 2011
Leo Dirac (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
It does the basics of what it's supposed to do quite well. It lets you listen to what's going on in your baby's room very clearly. The radio transmission is reliably free of static, even in our house with way too much metal in the walls. I would have expected that if it did this well (which it does), that's all I need in a baby monitor. Turns out there are so many other small problems with it that I have mixed feelings about it.

First off, it's really quiet. Even with the volume turned all the way up, you can't hear baby's small wimpers that indicate she's starting to wake up, unless the room where you're listening from is nearly silent. Other baby monitors are so loud they're fine to use in rooms with several people holding a conversation. This one you need to pay extra attention to. With other baby monitors this wouldn't be a deal breaker, because there's usually a visual indicator of the volume level too.

The Angelcare also has a visual indication of the volume level in the room. But the color LCD display is very difficult to read because it has a tiny viewing angle. If the monitor is on a table, and you're standing, the display always appears to have all of its indicators on. (All bars, 88 in the number display.) You need to be almost at eye level with it, or have it pointing straight at you to be able to read it. So you can't count in using the visual display to see when baby's waking up either. I prefer the kinds which have bright lights that tell you there's something going on that you can see even in the middle of a rock concert.

Also, the out of range feature is simply bizarre. Most baby monitors will start complaining loudly to you if they lose signal and are no longer tracking what's going on in baby's room. Angelcare has this feature, but implemented in a way that I don't understand at all and makes it somewhat dangerous. There's a switch on the transmitter unit (the one in baby's room) which says whether or not the out-of-range alarm should be active. The parent / listening unit has no indication whether the alarm is active or not. So if you take the monitor out of range, the alarm might sound telling you that you're out of range, or the monitor might remain silent with no indication that anything is wrong. No indication at all. There isn't even an icon telling you that the out of range alarm is disabled. Again, let me emphasize something because it makes no sense. This isn't a switch you throw on the listening unit to make it shut up because it's annoying you that you're out of range, maybe because you know and don't care. It's a switch on the baby's room unit. Moreover, the switch is easy to move by mistake, and doesn't even light a light or anything saying it's gone into dangerous mode. I have taped mine into safe mode.

Aside from these problems it's got neat features. Seeing the temperature in the baby's room is kinda nice. The rechargeable batteries it comes with are nice. The sound quality is good. It does the basics right, but is flawed in the features.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avent vs Angelcare vs Vtech, March 17, 2012
Mel M. (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
UPDATE 6/4/13 - I'm keeping the Vtech rating at 4 stars. This is due to battery life. I can get about maybe 6-8 hours out of a charge, which is not very much. I'm guessing they really cheaped out on the battery. It does beep to alert you when the battery is running low. As long as you remember to plug it in every evening, it's not a problem. Otherwise, it's a fabulous unit and has been working excellent for our family. Still the best choice of the 3 I reviewed below.

UPDATED 3/28/13
I've owned the below 3 units over the course of the last 2 years. I recommend the VTech for now (I've only had it a few weeks, but it is by far the winner in performance AND value). For features, I only listed the features that I felt would be important to the average buyer. Some of the units had other features that I didn't list because I didn't think there were critical in my decision making process.

Also, it might be important to note that we live in a 2 story house and we have Wi Fi.

Philips AVENT Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology
Price I paid: $95

talk back - yes
night light - yes
battery backup on Baby Unit - yes
Temperature - no (but available on upgraded units)
Visual sound indicator - yes, LED

Ease of use and customization of features (ie: setting the sensitivity level, etc): easy, intuitive.

Signal: excellent, DECT, crystal clear

Other thoughts: Loved this monitor until....... after about 6 months of use the parent unit would randomly turn itself off with no warning, no beeping, nothing. I started waking up in the morning to an "off" parent unit. This happened even if it was plugged into the charger. When I pressed "on", it would power up just fine and work well for a few days. Then it would shut off again. After a few weeks, it started shutting itself of more and more frequently. Thought it was a faulty unit, so I called Avent and they promptly sent out a replacement for free (nice customer service!). After few months of use the second unit started doing the same thing. Therefore, cannot recommend this product - it's dangerous if it turns off while you're sleeping. If you run a search on the reviews for this product for "turns off" you will see that it has happened to others.

Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White
2 stars
Price I paid: $59

talk back - no
night light - yes
battery backup on Baby Unit - yes
Temperature - yes
Visual sound indicator - yes. But it's not LED (which is very bright), it's part of the digital display, so you probably wouldn't notice the bars lighting up. So, yes, there is a visual sound indicator but it's poorly designed rendering it not useful.

Ease of use and customization of features: HORRIBLE, clumsy, not intuitive. You WILL need to bust out the manuel everytime you want to changes something. Channel selection is done at the Baby Unit, not the Parent Unit. That means if you have a bad connection, you have to go into the nursery to change the channel and possibly run the risk of disturbing a sleeping baby. You have to go through a series of random steps, pushing buttons in a certain sequence on both the nursery unit and parent unit. Also, it doesn't scan the channels to seek the best connection. You have the manually go through and listen to each channel and decide which one sounds the best to you. Sensitivity adjustment is also done on the Nursery Unit. Temp display is bizarre. If you turn the Parent Unit on AFTER the Nursery Unit (which is about 99% of the time, since I, like most people I know, just leave the Nursery Unit on 24/7) the display shows the channel. And will stay on the channel until the temp changes. So, the only way you can see what the temp is if the temp changes. It would have made a lot more sense to have the channel appear on the display first and then time out and default back to the temp setting since I think that as long as you're getting a good signal, you don't really care what the channel number is. But you probably do care about the temp.

Signal: 8 channel 927 MHz frequency. Started off good but after several months of use, the reception isn't as clear. I've tried all the different channels, but I still get intermittent static. It's annoying because it wakes me up.

Other thoughts: display on the parent unit is BRIGHT. Some may find it annoyingly bright if you like a really dark room. I originally thought this was a good value (at the time of purchse, my point of reference was the $95 Avent), but now after owning the $29 Vtech, I think the Angelcare is totally overpriced, especially considering how difficult it is to program the features. Not acceptable.

VTech Communications Safe & Sound Digital Audio Monitor
4 stars (if it holds up, I will change to 5 stars)
Price I paid: $29 (Value!!!)

talk back - yes
night light - yes (nightlight also has "auto on" feature which is kinda cool)
battery backup on Baby Unit - no
Temperature - no
Visual sound indicator - yes, LED

Ease of use and customization of features: easy, intuitive.

Signal: excellent. DECT technology, same as Avent. Now, I've only had this unit for a few weeks, so hopefully the quality doesn't start to go downhill after a few months. If so, I will post an update.

Other thoughts: this monitor also has a "vibrate" feature, which I thought was interesting. On the parent unit, you would not be able to tell it's on if the room is dark because the display screen is not backlit unless you are actively pushing a button on the unit (I assume to save battery power, it goes into a "sleep mode"). I wish there was a small LED indicator for this. After my Avent experience above I have trust issues ;). With this parent unit, I have to reach for it and push a button so the screen lights up to confirm it's actually on. It's minor, but I think worth mentioning. The Avent monitor had a small LED that was lit when it was on.

For the price, the clarity, the features, and ease of use, VTech wins hands down. It has all the same features and clarity that the Avent had (actually, the Vtech has even more features with the sound alert and vibrate alert), but it was 1/3 of the cost. So, unless it starts shutting itself off, this is a FANTASTIC monitor at a FANTASTIC price.

4.0 out of 5 stars NO STATIC - Great reception, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
After using other renowned baby monitors, this is one of the best ones. Great reception, no static or unwanted noise, so that means that when you don't hear anything is because there are no sounds to worry about.

Unit comes with 4 rechargeable AA batteries, and you must supply 4 regular (alkaline) batteries to the main base if you want to have it powered during power failures.

Base unit plugs into a wall AC outlet, and the monitor (speaker) connects to a base that recharges the included batteries. You can not use regular batteries on the remote (monitor) unit as the wall charger will try to recharge them.

The unit comes with a display that shows the base unit's room temperature, but it's not very accurate an you can not change it to Celsius -it only displays Fahrenheit degrees-

The circle around the base unit acts as a lamp, very useful in the dark, as it will provide enough light to check on your baby with a soft, non disturbing light.

If you are tired of the static noise and unwanted false alarms of cheaper units, this is the one to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor!!, October 21, 2010
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
I bought this monitor based on others reviews. I was perfectly happy with the monitor I had and when it died, I planned to buy the same one. Since it was no longer being sold, I had to find a new one. This monitor is great! The night light on the nursery unit is great. Gives a great amount of light and my son loves to turn it off and on. The belt clip in the receiver leaves a lot to be desired but, it is tolerable because the product is awesome. No static at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really is static free, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
I was going to buy the number one seller on amazon for baby monitors which was a sony something but after reading another review on this product i decided to give it a shot. It is a great monitor the best ive found yet. It works on different frequencies than other items in your house that might cause the receiver to have static, like wireless routers. Tells you the baby's room temperature, Has a small night like, out of range indicator in case you get to far from the nursery unit and a microphone sensitivity dial. a great buy for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and value, June 25, 2012
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
First of all, this is a beautiful monitor. I will highlight the what I feel make this monitor worth purchasing.

I have compared this monitor with several others and after purchasing another slightly inexpensive one (Graco) and observing several others, I have observed the following:

1) This monitor is beautiful. The monitor itself looks like a little angel with a halo. It is stylish and unobtrusive-that is, it doesn't take up much space. The outside is a glossy, smooth white that is easy to wipe off. What is especially cute is that the ring around the monitor is a nightlight that is very handy. The little "wings" are the "on/off" button and the "out of range" notification.

2) This monitor WORKS with little static.
I can't tell you how many monitors I've tried or seen that promise that they work without static, but ultimately give you nothing but static with some sounds thrown in. Personally, I don't want to hear the sound of my baby's breathing, the sound of the humidifier in the room, the sound of the neighbors arguing, etc. I want to hear my baby when she cries. That's what this monitor does. It tunes out the extra noise and all you hear is the sound of your baby-down to the smallest grunt or whisper. The clarity for this price range is outstanding. Also, I have had no issues with static.

3)Volume levels adjustable, channel control handy, temperature reading accurate.
The volume is adjustable. I have read previous posters who noted there was a volume issue and I would contend that they may have forgotten to turn up the volume. You must turn up the volume when you initially get the unit as (at least mine anyway) appears to have been shipped starting at the lowest volume. There is also the ability to change channels of the receiver in the event that there is some sort of interference, which I have yet to encounter-and I have a lot of electronic devices in our home. Also, the temperature reading is accurate and reliable. We keep the baby's room closed during the day and she is with us, so sometimes her room is a little warmer or colder than the rest of the house. It's nice to be able to see the temperature and know that we either need to open up the door or she will be all right. During evening, when the temperatures drop, we can see at a glance if the room temp is okay.

4) Rechargeable!
Okay why they are still selling some monitors that work on battery alone is beyond me! This one comes with rechargeable batteries and electric chargers-so you can rely on your unit to work, even in the event of a power outage (thankfully!). One set of batteries is included, the second set is not.

Cons:
People have noted that there is only one monitor. Personally, if I wanted several monitors, I would have purchased one with more. However, it would have been nice to have been given the option to expand the set. However, the company does offer sets that come with the extra monitor, so if that's something you're interested in, do check that out.

Overall, the value and quality of this monitor for the price cannot be beat. It is a good monitor that does the job admirably. It does not have video capability, but it is basic and operates with clear sound. This is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT!, April 3, 2011
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
I just received this in the mail today and I love it! We live on the 7th floor of an apartment complex and there is a lot of concrete in the building. We have tried 2 other baby monitors before this one and we had nothing but white noise and static and our apartment is not that large. This one however is crystal clear! I haven't had it long enough to know it the temp is correct but all I care is I can hear my baby perfectly with NO STATIC!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars works as we anticipated, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
We bought this monitor based on the reviews and we don't regret the purchase. The monitor's range is very good. We have a large yard and it never loses signal anywhere in the yard. Thoroughly tested the range and took the receiver around the block...never lost signal and could still hear my wife in the nursery. The nursery is right next to our room, so we don't use it during the night. We do use it in the daytime to get chores done around the house and in the yard and while relaxing on the patio while she naps in her crib. We love the microphone sensitivity feature; we've adjusted it so that sound is only sent to the receiver when our baby is crying and not just cooing or grunting or while the sound machine, music or television are on. We have never tried other monitors and see no reason to as this one has met all our needs. We would recommend it for ease of use, quality sound (no hissing), great range and the microphone sensitivity feature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Monitor is way too quiet!, July 13, 2011
autodidactic (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White (Baby Product)
We've been using this monitor for two months now and are on the verge of replacing it. The sound is clear as stated in other reviews - there is indeed no static - but it's just WAY, WAY too quiet. It's like a whisper even at the highest setting, turned all the way up on both the transmitter and the receiver. I have to keep the handset physically on me or RIGHT next to me, even in a quiet room with no TV or radio on, and even when the monitor is turned up to maximum volume, we sometimes have to hold the receiver up to our ear like a phone, just to hear if our son is starting to cry. There is no way we could leave him in the nursery overnight with this monitor to wake us up if he cried, even though we're both pretty light sleepers. I sometimes have a better time just hearing him with my naked ear in the next room than I do hearing him over the monitor. I should add that we live in a smallish apartment (the monitor is never more than 75-100 feet from the crib) and we are by no means hearing impaired.

All I can say that's nice about this monitor is the temperature reading and the lack of static. The angel shape of the transmitter is cute, but it makes the controls kind of awkward on top of everything else - and honestly I would far prefer something that worked to something that looked cute.

I registered for and received this monitor based on the stellar reviews it received, and I was really looking forward to it, but I am pretty seriously disappointed with it. I don't know if we got a dud or what. We've been making do with what we've got, but we'll probably have to buy another monitor before our son stops being able to sleep in his bassinet in the same room with us... which, really, is any day now.

Angelcare Baby Sound Monitor, White