5.0 out of 5 stars Angels All Around Us: A Geeky Review
Published on October 20, 2012 by B.D.S.Amodeo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much mention of angels in this book
Published on November 19, 2012 by Stuart Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels All Around Us: A Geeky Review, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World (Paperback)
I just finished reading Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World by Anthony DeStefano and have learned my lesson about judging a book by its cover. While I enjoyed reading the book, I must say that this book is certainly not what it is advertised to be. Yes, the topic of angels was discussed and I was quite impressed by DeStefano's ability to condense Saint Thomas of Aquinas's works on angels into a book that was easy to follow. However, this book was more of a bare bones introduction to a lot of fundamental Christian beliefs regarding charity, the existence of pain, the Holy Trinity, demons, souls, and quite a few other topics.

On an introductory level, this book is great for readers out there who have not yet read the works of some of the more contemporary Christian thinkers of our time (like G.K. Chesterton and C.S. Lewis). It is also great for young Christians, or even new Christians, who are not yet ready to tackle the beautiful, but extremely difficult, theological works of St. Augustine and St. Thomas of Aquinas. In this book, DeStefano demonstrates a great talent for breaking down some pretty dense Christian works into pieces that can be easily digested by a wide audience of readers. With that said, I must point out that this book is probably not suitable for Christians with doctorates in theology.

This book was a quick read and pretty easy to follow. I liked how DeStefano broke down all of the subjects covered into concise paragraphs. I would recommend this book as an introduction to angels, grace, spiritual warfare, God, the role of suffering, the soul, Christian beliefs regarding the afterlife, and quite a few other subjects. It is not necessarily a book about angels and the invisible world. However, it is a great introduction to angels and the many elements of the invisible world. It is also a great summary of much of what you would expect to learn within the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

As a Catholic, I would consider it a form of Cliffs Notes that may be very helpful for individuals out there who may not have a lot of time to invest in digging through the Summa Theologica. One thing I really liked about this book was its bibliography. DeStefano includes a pretty extensive list of books and authors that will be a great help to anyone who wants to continue learning once this book is finished. Among the many books included in this bibliography are JPII's On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering, Chesterton's The Everlasting Man, Dante Alighieri's Inferno, C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce, Saint Therese of Lisieux's The Story of a Soul, and quite a few other well-known and well-loved Christian works.
Disclosure:

The opinions and thoughts expressed herein are my own. I was not paid for my review. I was given a free copy of "The Duty of Delight" by Blogging for Books for review.

(Review originally published on thecatholicsciencegeek.blogspot.com)

5.0 out of 5 stars Answered alot of questions I've had., November 1, 2012
This is an insightful book for every Christian who has ever wondered about the spiritual world around us. Who has ever wondered about the afterlife and where our physical bodies go after death and how we will be reunited with our loved ones. It explains the battle between good and evil in a way you can really understand. I was enlightened and inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, November 8, 2012
This book, "Angels All Around Us," is one of the best books I've ever read on the subject of Christianity. In such a simple, yet powerful way, DeStefano answers questions I didn't even know I'd had! The book is small and easy to read, and it covers subjects that everyone has questioned at some point or another, i.e. God's relationship with us, Heaven, Evil, Spiritual Realities, Hell, Suffering, REASONS for certain mysteries! It's crazy good! In all my reading on the subject of faith and God, I have never come across a more profound explanation of these truths. I would recommend this book to ANYONE at anytime, it's THAT varied in it's specific targets...and speaks to every need. I am amazed! So worth the purchase and it's a great Christmas/anytime gift (I already ordered it for 6 people's gifts)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much mention of angels in this book, November 19, 2012
I received this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for an honest review. I was somewhat excited to receive this book, because of the title. I know that's a little shallow, but I think most Christians have a fascination with angels and the "Invisible World." In fact, the book was originally titled "The Invisible World," and in my opinion that's what the book should have remained titled, as there was only one chapter that dealt with angels.

The book starts off with a chapter called Haunt Detector, a phrase attributed to Fr. Frank Pavone. I'm not a big fan of referring to feelings of other worldly happenings as a haunt detector. It just seems to put a ghostly spin on angels, demon, and spiritual matters. So I was one chapter into this book, and already had a bad taste in my mouth.

The third chapter, aka the only chapter that really mentions angels, did a fair to good job, at best, of covering the subject of angels. If you know the slightest thing about angels, this chapter does nothing to add to your knowledge of angels. You receive a brief description of what angels are and their purpose, surrounded by several sweet stories of possible angel encounters people had.

The book wasn't a total disappointment. It does a good job on other topics it discusses, such as spiritual warfare, grace, and suffering, but opinions are too often inserted when backed up facts would have been more appreciated. I just feel that the title was misleading and should have remained "The Invisible World." I am someone who when he picks up a book, he goes into it with a certain expectation, and if those expectations are not met or exceeded, I am usually disappointed. So part of my disappointment might stem from going against the adage of judging a book by its cover.

So for these complaints, I give the book 3 out of 5 stars. It was a good book, which I felt could have and should have been better. If you are looking for a book that truly deals more in-depth with angels, check out the book Lifted By Angels and my review of it. Check out my other reviews at stuartsstudy(dot)blogspot(dot)com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you ever get the feeling...?, March 16, 2013
A few weeks ago I received an amazing book in the mail that gave me chills with every turn of the page. Going hand-in-hand with traditional Christian theology, this book is amazing at explaining the spiritual beings that are very active in our lives that we experience on a daily basis. Did you know that you have a guardian angel? Do you know that the room you are currently sitting in may be filled with any number of angels? Do you ever get the feeling you are being protected in some way but can't really explain it? What about those times that "voice" is letting you know that you should do this or that? All of these questions can be answered with something that everyone has - "The Haunt Detector." That knowing feeling that some thing is around you and very close.

There may not be much talk of these "beings" today as long ago. But, that does not mean that they do not exists. Father Adams from one of our local parishes spoke of angels and has had me hooked ever since. As explained in the book, he told us that when God created us, he also created the angels. Within that society of beings, there are different groupings of them: Cherubim, Archangels, Guardians, to name a few. The Guardians are what caught my attention. He told us that for each person in the world (those who have passed, here now, and will be born) have a Guardian angel. God created a "number" of angels based on people who were going to be on this Earth, basically. Each Guardian is assigned a person and that person is their job. Amazing. Brings back that "lost sense of wonder" in out world, doesn't it? If you would like to get back that wonder and mystery, this book is for you!

"The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious." ~ Albert Einstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 14, 2013
I enjoyed this book and actually had it completely read in two days. It was very interesting and I would recommend it to others to read. I bought a copy for a friend for her birthday also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Book, December 10, 2012
Everyone thinks of things spiritual at one time in their life or another. This inquisition leads in some to a devote study of the bible or a journey through characters from movies people put spiritual characteristics on like UFOs, vampires, ferries or other things.

The book here is aimed at the second group but it tries to turn them to the straight and narrow. Their view is based on the bible but it doesn't quote that. The reader fills in the gaps in an attempt to liven up the material.

The book title is sort of misleading. It indicates one thing but in reality the book is something else. The title makes one think the book is about angels or related matters. Like maybe it is something about the TV show. That is part of the book; one chapter. However there is much more to the book. The book is really a simple theology book. It takes the reader through some of the basic issues lay people have with religion, angels, demons, suffering etc.. The way they explain things was very simple. The average person will love this method but the minister won't. The author takes a basic simple approach to explaining these complex topics. It is a great starter book on theology. This method is fine but there is a catch. The book misses the magic key to it all. They author downplays the role of Jesus. Little is said of the role of Jesus as Lord and Savior. That piece would have made the other things fit into place.

2.0 out of 5 stars The book has some good information, but only one chapter in the book ..., July 7, 2014
The book has some good information, but only one chapter in the book is about angels. I've read many other books about angels that were more accurate. So I feel the book doesn't match it's title.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if you dont know about angels, July 18, 2014
Just an ok read. If you know about the spiritual world, angels, guardian angels I don't think you will learn much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13, 2014
I learned so much from this wonderful book and I highly recommend it!

Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World
Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World by Anthony DeStefano (Paperback - October 16, 2012)
$14.99 $13.17