Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 11, 2007
While Fuel has been dormant for awhile because of the departure of their lead singer, they did find a replacement and it was probably a good thing that Chris Daughtry ( he's done very well on his own) didn't fill Brett's shoes. I would consider this a good rock album, though not great as in that you can't get it out of your cd player. I would consider this a Carl Bell project as opposed to a band project since he seems to be the driving force behind the band. The songs are pretty good, but they do miss something as far as the classic Fuel sound. Never a big fan of the f word in music (I really think it takes away from the song and pretty much just sounds awful) and since they really hadn't used it in their previous releases (unless I just missed it) I was a little surprised by track number 3 being led off with it. But I guess that's how it is today. Artists not brave enough to show a little creativity in their lyric writing, instead just giving in to the use of expletive's. So, for my taste I like most of the songs and some prove catchy, enough so to hold your attention. I will agree with the one reviewer as in that you really can't compare the band now to what they were even though it's hard not to, at least for now until they get several album's under their belt with their current lead singer.
on March 19, 2014
You can clearly tell this is Carl Bell's work. He can really write some good music. Even without Brett this album does well. The singer at times really sounds like Brett however really brings his own flare to the songs and delivers a good performance but you can tell it's missing something...Scallions.

Also, I can't remember what track, I think it's 2 or 3 but the very first word drops a F bomb. Nice job guys...not. It doesn't fit the band's style and actually ruins the song to some degree.
on August 7, 2007
Yes, Lossing Brett Scallions(vocals) and Kevin Miller(drums) should have been a nail in the coffin of this great rock group, often underrated, but great rock triumphs. Carl Bell (guitar) and Jeff Aberchrombe (bass) are still present. All I can say is THANK GOD DAUGHTREY DID NOT JOIN THE BAND. Toryn Green Delivers that classic Fuel sound desired, and should be an awesome performing the old material as well. I unfortunatly missed there tour date here in town, and I'll be kicking myself all summer. Fuel fan must have this one. Great song, I can't pick one favorite yet, there all so solid. As for Daughtrey, so glad he's on his own. His performance of hemmhorage was horrible (Anybody that thought it was good, not fuel fans). And, I have seen him live, he would have butchered the rest of Fuel. This Toryn Green is a great fit. And Good luck to Brett and Kevin, I hope to here new material from them soon as well, but for now, This fuel I consider as good as their old material, and in fact, It may just be the best yet. Good rock.
on August 14, 2007
I'll start this review by saying I do not dislike this album, nor do I dislike the new singer, Toryn Green.

That said, I could not completely enjoy this record (to my 3-star extent) until I gave up the idea that this was the same band as the Brett Scallions fronted Fuel (who, in my opinion, had a much more full and emotionally sincere voice).

Not taken in contrast, Toryn has a solid voice; aside from the fact that there are many obvious vocal inflections a la Brett (i.e. Wasted Time - end of the first chorus). I suspect there will be a few eye rolls from long-time Fuel fans at moments.

Thankfully, the instrumentals and song writing have remained solid. The song "Gone" is a great opening track, and the album as a whole has a nice mix of harder rock and lighter ballads (definitely more acoustic than usual).

I'm sure that Fuel will pick up a great many new fans with this new offering - but I'm sure the bulk of the mixed/negative reviews will come from people who have been listening since Sunburn.
on August 16, 2007
Angels and Devils is a fantastic album. Great melodies, a powerful sound and the lyrics are simply amazing. Toryn is a perfect addition to Fuel. He has the kind of voice which I love, rugged and unyeilding. It's too difficult for me to choose a favorite song. All of them are incredible. This album made me a Fuel fan for life. I am so excited about this band.
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2007
I'm not even going to start by comparing lead singers and all that. Because Brett did his thing for Fuel while he was in the band and helped get them to where they are now. Toryn isnt a replacement for him but an addition to the band one that fits into Fuel very well. He has edge on his voice when needed and can tone it down but still deliver songs with the skills required. I love the album from front to back. Its exciting to see Fuel still charging along and making the music they love to make and most of all the music that there fans enjoy as well.

Keep rocking on guys and folks will be right there with you guys rocking along to your music. Great step up...keep on moving and doing your thing.

12 tracks included (plus bonus track "Wasted Time (G-Mix)") and the cd clocks in at a little over 46 minutes. So not too long and not too short, all around excellent.
on April 17, 2008
I'll get right to the point: now that original lead singer Brett Scallions (as well as drummer Kevin Miller) have left Fuel, does that mean a new style for the band? No, for two reasons: 1) new vocalist Toryn Green's voice doesn't sound that much different from Scallions' (admit it); and 2) all they still ever talk about is bad relationships.

Now, that really isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you've been following Fuel ever since their inception (or at least since Sunburn), then you'll remember that their topics always used to be varied. It would be different if they were marketing this as a concept or themed album (e.g. Neil Young's Living with War), but apparently it's just supposed to be a "standard" album; in other words, they appear to be a blues band that's not supposed to BE a blues band. In addition, lyrics AND rhythms tend to fail, especially on "Not This Time" and the aptly titled "Wasted Time" (and the acoustic version of the latter doesn't help or hurt the album).

The only songs that really stand out are the rare times when Toryn and the boys actually change the subject, like the two-in-a-row of "Halos of the Son" and "Angels Take a Soul". Well, actually, "Leave the Memories Alone" is good in its own right, and "I Should Have Told You" is okay, but Angels & Devils as a whole is just too predictable. Unless you're a hardcore fan of Fuel, you can leave this one alone.

Anthony Rupert
on February 19, 2011
Even with the change in the lineup, this still is a solid Fuel album. I am a big Fuel fan and was hesitant to get this album since the band had lost its lead singer. But after hearing a few tracks like 'wasted time' and 'gone' I decided to get the CD. I am glad I did. Now, if you are looking for some new sounding Fuel, then this album is not for you. If you like the previous Fuel albums, then you should like this album. The new lead singer does a good job (not even going to compare to the previous singer) and delivers good vocals on most of the tracks. All around this album is really good listening.
on August 13, 2007
I've been a fan of Fuel since Sunburn came out in '98. That was a great album... and so were the others that followed. After hearing of the departures from the band, i wondered how they were going to follow it up, without that 'distinctive' voice of Scallions at the helm. But, i am very pleasently surprised. This is a really good album... at the same level as Sunburn (their best release so far in my opinion), but this is as good... and dare i say it... better!! Prior to the Angels and Devils release, i heard Gone and Wasted Time... both great tracks. Its still Fuel! and even better so. Toryn and Tommy are great replacements... they don't take anything away from the Fuel sound... they add to it. Pick it up, you'll not be dissapointed. I won't go into detail on each track.. just find out for yourself. Fuel rocks on!
on April 14, 2011
Fuel did pretty dang well for their fourth record. The album introduces new vocalist Toryn Green. I can understand that if you're a Fuel fan and Brett has been replaced, that can be a wee bit upsetting. However, Brett Scallions suffered a Deviated Septum in late 2001. Even so, Carl Bell said he was "unhappy" with Brett's voice on Natural Selection. Carl shouldn't complain about Brett's voice when Carl himself was the reason that Brett's voice was messed up. Brett even said he was miserable about the environment he was in. There are two versions of "Wasted Time", a G-Mix (Track 4) and an S-Mix (Track 13).
Toryn wrote Halos of The Son (Track 11). There is also a second single from the album It is called "Gone".