Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 28, 2010
How do you find yourself reacting to things not going your way? Whether it is plans falling through, or traffic delays, or irritating people, or..... the list could go on.

Although this booklet is brief, Powlison gets to the heart of the matter - which is the matter of the heart. And specifically he pinpoints how all wrong anger can be traced back to pride in some form or other. This is immensely helpful because it means that you can recognise the real problem and start to kill pride before anger rises.

The booklet falls into two parts. The first part deals with 3 common lies concerning anger:
1. My anger is something inside me (as opposed to me acting)
2. It's ok to be angry at God
3. My Biggest problem is anger at myself

The second part of the book deals with a pathway out of anger and gives a series of diagnostic questions which will help the reader immensely.

It has to be said that this is only a 28 page booklet, and not a whole book on anger. That being said, it is a well packed, and immensely helpful 28 pages.

Well worth reading and giving to others.
on May 22, 2014
I love these counseling booklets series “Resources for Changing Lives” for their brevity and clarity. I want to buy and read every one of them. (However if you buy them all at one time, there’s no guarantee that the person behind the counter in your local bookstore wouldn’t think you are a weirdo). Even though this booklet is small the impact of its content is huge. I used this book as a resource for a counselee dealing with and found the truths within it helpful for him and myself as well and I’m sure it will be too with other readers.
I appreciated the author tackling anger head on especially with his critique of the “substance” model of understanding anger; this is the view that think of anger more as a “thing” inside someone rather than anger being an attitude and act of the person. As the author argues, how one understands the nature of anger will determine what kind of solution that is being proposed. As Christians we must come to understand that anger issues reflect someone’s willful desire to sin and not just some impersonal force within us exploding.
The best part of the book is the discussion about being angry with God—very well thought out and life changing material for those struggling with this issue. The book also gave several questions to help deal with anger with the first set being diagnostic and the second set given with the intent of helping a counselee deal with their sinful anger. Like with other biblical counseling resources I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s question engaging the readers with biblical truths that confront the lies and false expectation we embrace.
on July 8, 2013
Excellent booklet that God has used to give me new eyes to see how there is only one righteous judge. Powlison's examples are not areas I struggle with, but simple to plug in my own situations while reading. I followed up this book with Robert Jones "Uprooting Anger." Thankful for both of these writings.
on January 3, 2016
Excellent resource and very convicting. Theologically sound. Would recommend this to anyone struggling with/needing to repent of sinful anger. This paired well with John Owen's Temptation and Sin (vol. #6) from Banner of Truth.
on April 13, 2016
I'm usually against 5 steps to this, or 10 steps to do that, but Mr Powlison does a great job in using steps to help me assess my anger situation. The Lord has used this man immensely to help many Christians overcome their anger issues.
on August 3, 2013
Have gone though this as well and this too makes a lot of sense. Again thanks these books and the advice that it
gives.
on April 3, 2012
This little 28 page booklet on anger is a perfect example of why I enjoy David Powlison's writing. First, he sees beneath the surface of things. He goes to the heart. Powlison shows how our anger is often rooted in heart attitudes and unmet expectations. But the problem is not simply diagnosed, it is also treated through the use of penetrating personal questions. This is where Powlison really shines. His questions are challenging but gentle, aimed to draw out our hearts to deal with anger in a God-honoring way.
on March 12, 2013
Good content- but be aware that this is really a "booklet" as it is very small--that is why I gave it only 4 stars. Would probably have known it if I had checked how many pages it contained before ordering-- still the content is well worthy reading/ good author.
on June 22, 2016
One of best short treatments on anger from a strongly biblical perspective. I am a full time Biblical Counselor & use this all the time. Cannot recommend this highly enough
on July 22, 2016
This mini-series covers modern issues that people face. It gives biblical answers to the hard questions. Excellent source for any pastor or counselor.