Angle of Repose--I would like some discussions for Book Club.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2010 3:41:38 PM PST
I would love to have some good discussion questions for our Book Club meeting on ANGLE of REPOSE.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 5:00:02 PM PST
Martin Zook says:
Hope your discussion went well, David.

Angle of Repose is near and dear to me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the artistry of the text.

But also, it was one of three books that a f2f book group read in succession. The other two were 100 Years of Solitude, and Death Comes for the Archbishop. The selection by the late Carla Cohen, owner of the indy bookstore Politics & Prose in Washington, wasn't intentional, but it was one of the more rewarding reading experiences of my life.

The text is a mythical text that is closely aligned with historical events. On top of that, it's just a wonderful read.

The discussion, frankly, was disappointing. The women read it as a love/marriage story. And I was the only one to pick up on mythical themes such as the motif of the garden, and the Adam/Eve aspect of Oliver's first vision of Susan.

There is a world of thought in this book that rewards many rereads.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Angle of Repose (Contemporary American Fiction)
Angle of Repose (Contemporary American Fiction) by Wallace Stegner (Paperback - May 1, 1992)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (363)