Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Sep 22, 2008 5:12:29 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2008 11:47:32 AM PDT
Amazon has this book and anyone curious about what has been happening over the last seven and a half years ought to consider reading it. This book is the result of a Pulitzer Prize-winning series of articles about the power Cheney has amassed.

From the Amazon review:

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Barton Gellman's newsbreaking investigative journalism documents how Vice President Dick Cheney redefined the role of the American vice presidency, assuming unprecedented responsibilities and making it a post of historic power.

Dick Cheney changed history, defining his times and shaping a White House as no vice president has before- yet concealing most of his work from public view. Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporter Barton Gellman parts the curtains of secrecy to show how Cheney operated, why, and what he wrought.

Angler, Gellman's embargoed and highly explosive book, is a work of careful, concrete, and original reporting backed by hundreds of interviews with close Cheney allies as well as rivals, many speaking candidly on the record for the first time. On the signature issues of war and peace, Angler takes readers behind the scenes as Cheney maneuvers for dominance on what he calls the iron issues from Iraq, Iran, and North Korea to executive supremacy, interrogation of Al Qaeda suspects, and domestic espionage. Gellman explores the behind-the- scenes story of Cheney's tremendous influence on foreign policy, exposing how he misled the four ranking members of Congress with faulty intelligence on Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, how he derailed Bush from venturing into Israeli- Palestinian peace talks for nearly five years, and how his policy left North Korea and Iran free to make major advances in their nuclear programs.

Domestically, Gellman details Cheney's role as "super Chief of Staff ", enforcer of conservative orthodoxy; gatekeeper of Supreme Court nominees; referee of Cabinet turf; editor of tax and budget laws; and regulator in chief of the administration's environment policy. We watch as Cheney, the ultimate Washington insider, leverages his influence within the Bush administration in order to implement his policy goals. Gellman's discoveries will surprise even the most astute students of political science.

Above all, Angler is a study of the inner workings of the Bush administration and the vice president's central role as the administration's canniest power player. Gellman exposes the mechanics of Cheney's largely successful post-September 11 campaign to win unchecked power for the commander in chief, and reflects upon, and perhaps changes, the legacy that Cheney-and the Bush administration as a whole-will leave as they exit office.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 12:05:37 PM PDT
Thank you. Saw Gellman on TV. This information needs to be known to understand what is happening in our country. Most people don't know who is really running our government. Unfortunately, a lot don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 12:06:31 PM PDT
H. E. Fisher says:
That is quite a post. Can't believe no one else has responded yet. I am no fan of Dick Cheney. I'd really like to read the book -- if I can afford it after paying for gasoline and heating oil. I am a bit worried about the coming election. I pray we can get out from under the type of destructive policies we have been subjected to for most of the past eight years and I don't hold out any hope for a change under McCain/Palin. Why are the polls so close? What are Americans thinking -- or not?!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 12:22:37 PM PDT
Americans aren't thinking. Palin energized the conservative base, they were not that happy with McCain but would have voted for him. I don't see any change in the way things are run if McCain gets in. He used to be a maverick and I actually liked him in 2000 but now he is changing his opinion to what ever way the wind is blowing. For years, no regulations of banks, let they do as they please. After Friday, have to regulate the banks.

Seems like I have known since day 1 that W was just a puppet president with cut throat Cheney pulling the strings. I wish this book had been published before the last election.

This book will be added to my wishlist.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 12:22:57 PM PDT
I read about this book this morning in the paper. It's apparently quite a heavy-hitter and due to the sources, pretty hard to argue with.

Ignorance is not only bliss, it means that people don't need to feel responsible for what has happened to our government or obligated to do something about it.

It's not unlike the people who choose to believe that oil has no limit and there is no greenhouse effect or that climate change is caused by burning fossil fuels.

Ignorance is much more than bliss. It is permission to keep acting irresponsibly. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 1:47:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008 1:54:32 PM PDT
J. Davis says:
Longaberger Girl: you mentioned you wish this book had been published before the last election. But much of the wickedness of the Bush administration has been known for a long time. This book was published in 2004: "Worse than Watergate: the secret presidency of George W. Bush" by none other than Nixon's equivalent to Karl Rove, John Dean.

Amazon.com Review
The most facile presidential comparison one could make for George W. Bush would be his father, who presided over a war in Iraq and a struggling economy. Some "neocons" reject the parallel and compare Bush to his father's predecessor, Ronald Reagan, citing a plainspoken quality and a belief in deep tax cuts. But John Dean goes further back, seeing in Bush all the secrecy and scandal of Dean's former boss, the notorious Richard Nixon. The difference, as the title of Dean's book indicates, is that Bush is a heck of a lot worse. While the book provides insightful snippets of the way Nixon used to do business, it offers them to shed light on the practices of Bush. In Dean's estimation, the secrecy with which Bush and Dick Cheney govern is not merely a preferred system of management but an obsessive strategy meant to conceal a deeply troubling agenda of corporate favoritism and a dramatic growth in unchecked power for the executive branch that put at risk the lives of American citizens, civil liberties, and the Constitution. Dean sets out to make his point by drawing attention to several areas about which Bush and Cheney have been tight-lipped: the revealing by a "senior White House official" of the identity of an undercover CIA operative whose husband questioned the administration, the health of Cheney, the identity of Cheney's energy task force, the information requested by the bi-partisan 9/11 commission, Bush's business dealings early in his career, the creation of a "shadow government", wartime prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay, and scores more. He theorizes that the truth about these and many other situations, including the decision to go to war in Iraq, will eventually surface and that Bush and Cheney's secrecy is a thus far effective means of keep a lid on a rapidly multiplying set of lies and scandals that far outstrip the misdeeds that led directly to Dean's former employer resigning in disgrace. Dean's charges are impassioned and more severe than many of Bush's most persistent critics. But those charges are realized only after careful reasoning and steady logic by a man who knows his way around scandal and corruption. END OF REVIEW

The republican party is NOT the party of Lincoln. I wish they would get off that high horse. Lincoln would probably shoot HIMSELF rather than be associated with the current band of mobsters.

Thanks to Karl Rove, the current gang of thugs that pass themselves off as "patriotic Americans" have figured out how to manipulate a great many voters. With Faux News assisting them in spreading malicious, vicious, propaganda and lies they know how to seize power and hold onto it. After his crushing defeat in 2000, McCain has bought into their ideology and can no longer be trusted.

Within the next four years we will almost certainly see another massive terrorist attack on US soil regardless of who is president (the Taliban and Al Queda has seen a resurgence in Afghanistan thanks to our losing our way in Iraq). Many experts believe a nuclear attack (maybe "just" a dirty bomb) on a US city is an almost certainty. If the republicans are in charge, then the patriot act will have been a drop in the bucket compared to what would come. Say goodbye to more (all?) of our constitutional freedoms. It's for our own good, after all.

History is chock full of countries who passively (and probably unintentionally) elect people who ultimately become dictators. Hitler is but one example. Hugo Chavez of Venezuela is a current one. Fear and hated are powerful tools to manipulate the masses. The republicans puppet masters have mastered the art of jingoistic patriotism and would only use another attack, or even the fear of another attack, to increase their power.

Cheney/Rove/Bush all epitomize what is wrong/evil about republican politics. There is no reason to believe McCain is going to be any different.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 1:54:28 PM PDT
Firefly says:
Here we go again. Another political thread started in the GBF when you know it's going to be moved to the political forum. Why do you (in the collective) insist on ruining a peaceful place?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 2:01:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008 2:03:34 PM PDT
J. Davis says:
Firefly: why do you insist on:

1) entering every single political thread on the GBF when it is obvious it is going to be a political thread?
2) post your dissatisfaction with same every single time?
3) bore everyone with the same blather about how it doesn't belong here?

Why don't you ignore it and move on with your life?

BTW: Do you know what the definition of insane is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Based on your tedious and endless complaining, I'd have to say you MUST be insane!

Oh... and did you even take the time to notice the initial post was on a book offered for sale by Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 2:15:12 PM PDT
Firefly says:
I noticed the book was by amazon but that still doesn't mean the thread should be here. I enter each thread and say the same thing for the same reason people keep starting them in the GBF when amazon has ask them not to. Why do they keep doing that over and over and expect amazon won't move them again? Works both ways doesn't it?

BTW, when you see my name why why don't you just ignore me and move on with your life?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 2:23:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 16, 2011 6:47:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 2:25:27 PM PDT
J.Davis,

Firefly's a self-appointed political thread troll. I mean, she's a close personal friend of Jeff Bezos, and she's only doing his bidding.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 2:37:18 PM PDT
harmonious1 says:
Firefly wrote: "I noticed the book was by amazon but that still doesn't mean the thread should be here."

Yes it does. It's on-topic unlike most of the threads you participate in.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 2:43:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008 2:49:02 PM PDT
R. Phillips says:
If you really want to know what's going on...

http://www.infowars.com/32k.asx

One man or one administration is NOT responsible for this mess.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 3:01:48 PM PDT
Wow, are tin foil hats included with that link?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 5:41:28 PM PDT
Tomcat - what is irresponsible about calling attention to a new, Pulitzer Prize-winning series of articles, about a very important topic for Americans - i.e. our government and the people pulling the strings - that were made into a book.

I would think calling attention to an important new book that Amazon has in stock a responsible thing to do.

Would you care to explain why this is irresponsible?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 5:47:13 PM PDT
this book is in my quick picks today, thinking about getting it

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 6:16:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008 7:01:32 PM PDT
J. Davis says:
Firefly says "I enter each thread and say the same thing for the same reason people keep starting them in the GBF when amazon has ask them not to."

I would assume the reason people start forums in the GBF is to engage in some sort of dialog on perhaps the most important election in our nation's history in the most visible, most popular forum around. And yet you say that's the same reason YOU post? That makes NO sense whatsoever. It would appear that YOU post because you're a weird little harpy who can't stand to just let them be and let people discuss what they want. It's not like they are committing felonies here lady. Amazon will deal with it in their own way.

YOU don't ever add anything to the discussion. You just whine about people following the "rules". Who died and appointed you God of the GBF? You're like the Internet equivalent of the sad old lady who sits on her front porch yelling at all the kids in the neighborhood. Why don't you let Amazon do their job and you get back to your fascinating GBF discussions on needlepoint? Or how many dozens of cats you have? Or what's that strange odor coming from under your porch?

As for "Why do they keep doing that over and over and expect amazon won't move them again? Works both ways doesn't it?", the answer is no. People don't post here NOT expecting Amazon to move the forum... which eventually they do. Most people FULLY understand that will likely happen. But in the meantime, much discussion ensues. Some of it very useful/pertinent. Although, granted, a LOT of it is ridiculous yelling and name calling. But that brings us back to square one... let Amazon take care of it and YOU worry about your own crazy little self.

The fact that you can't tell the difference between the two tends to reinforce my hypothesis: YOU ARE INSANE! lol

As for ignoring you? That is an OUTSTANDING idea. I guess even you can have a good idea if you put your mind to it.

EDIT: one last point. Firefly (and now Sherry Edwards) says "Why do you (in the collective) insist on ruining a peaceful place?" Since you have to actively do something (ie click on the link, then spend your precious time reading the posts, then spend more of your precious time typing a complaint) in order to be fully and completely annoyed, you are hardly an innocent victim here. It's like when Comedy Central is broadcasting the South Park movie unedited and uncut (which they DO occasionally, really late at night), and you see the listing in your large print edition of TV Guide, stay up late until the movie comes on, tune your TV to that channel, then immediately complain to the cable company about the outlandish language on your "talk-y box" which violates the peacefulness of "Murder She Wrote" and "Touched By An Angel" on the Hallmark channel.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 6:29:24 PM PDT
Laurie says:
LOL! I have to remember this quote - I'm sure it will come in handy later!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 6:30:25 PM PDT
Laurie says:
I think Firefly secretly loves political posts and that is why she always bumps them, instead of just ignoring them!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 6:33:42 PM PDT
Mark Time says:
Get me a copy too. Or send me yours after you read it. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 6:59:24 PM PDT
"Firefly says:
Here we go again. Another political thread started in the GBF when you know it's going to be moved to the political forum. Why do you (in the collective) insist on ruining a peaceful place? "

You know Firefly,
We disagree on JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING political-
BUT NOT THIS!

You are RIGHT ON!

The reason this doesn't BELONG here is because if the political discussions are "allowed" to be here, the majority of the threads (right now) would BE POLITICAL!
This is NOT THE PLACE!
Why?
Because, AMAZON says so!

I'm so SICK of political threads in the GBF!

And no, I'm not SICK of political threads in the POLITICAL FORUM...that's WHERE THEY BELONG!

And, no matter what someone wants to discuss politically, they can ALWAYS find a book to cite to start off the discussion-so, that doesn't really address the issue in my mind.

Anyway FF-
In my opinion, YOU'RE RIGHT!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 7:08:19 PM PDT
I'd rather get it from the library. They come right to my house every other Monday. Not as frequent as Amazon, but free.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 7:09:47 PM PDT
Firefly says:
Not one person who has ever complained about my complaining has answered my question. Why do you insist on starting them here when you admit you know they will be moved? Why not just start them there in the first place? At least 90% of the posters in the political threads have never posted in the GBF before. Some have just come here FROM the political forum to spread hate. My objection is not political discussions. These are NOT discussions that are happening here. They are hate mongering. Does one set of extremists really think they can change the mind of another set of extremists? GBF was for the most part a fun place before the conventions. There are many places on the net and even on Amazon to spew hate. There are even places to go if you really want facts but you don't come here for facts, do you? You just come here to tell people you are right and they are wrong.

And, since you seem to think you can post what you want where you want but I shouldn't and you can't seem to ignore me, I'll do us both a favor. I'll click on ignore this customer and I won't see your posts. I sincerely hope that you will click to ignore me. GOOD BYE!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 7:09:55 PM PDT
Mark Time says:
If you get a waterproof copy I'll read it to you in the shower............

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 7:33:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008 7:50:29 PM PDT
J. Davis says:
Does anyone smell a dead cat? Or maybe that's a dead troll under the porch.

To add to your righteous indignant rant there Firefly, you too didn't answer a valid question posed to you. I guess everyone else must answer to YOU, but you don't have to answer anyone else's question?

Why do you take the time to click on links, read posts, write your own posts about how they don't belong here, read more posts, write more replies, etc etc etc etc etc? If you weren't interested in the topic, STAY OUT. Jeez. It's not rocket science. You sure are a busy body. You're like an uber-troll. The troll that tells other trolls they are too trolly.

And you really don't understand the written language of English, do you? I've seen many other posters tell you why political discussions do get started in the GBF (I did myself, above. If you had bothered to get out your "troll to English Dictionary" you could have deciphered it). I won't repeat it again for everyone else's benefit. But if you really want an answer, you can find it in my previous post. But you don't, do you? You just want to rant and rant and rant. You go out of your way to rant. I think you are the only person who has posted on every single political discussion that has ever appeared on the GBF. Doesn't staring at a computer screen that long cause your <BEEP> to <BEEP><BEEP>??

And Goodbye to YOU, ma'am! lol (or... good riddance)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9552b15c)

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 22, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency
Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency by Barton Gellman (Paperback - August 25, 2009)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (81)