on January 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
edit: 2 whole months of flying with a single fillup of helium and just air to make the balloon full, see my edits at the bottom of this review.

Main review: It's a helium filled balloon after all and I never expected it to zoom along like it does. It works way better than I expected. I had a blimp with a fan motor a few years ago and this is way better. The tail swishes back and fourth to make her go. And "autoswim" makes it even easier to play with and control. See the video to see the Angry bird in action.

To control her forward, press right then left, repeat, I call this swishing. You can press faster and faster and get into a rhythm. Press climb to make her point up. The control unit moves toward the back and changes the center of gravity, thus pointing the bird up. Genius! Now swish her or press autoswim and she climbs. Cool! Ok she's up, now press dive, and the control unit moves forward pointing the bird level or down if you press it long enough. If the control unit doesn't move, tighten the string, try again.

After you get it working press "autoswim" and watch her go. Stop autoswim after a little. I found that you can keep autoswim on and constantly press real fast or hold left to make her turn left during autoswim, same for right, but sometimes it won't do the command because the IR control doesn't hit the control unit. Mine turns right easier, in fact mine turned right all the time until I adjusted the motor placement a little to the left (to make it turn right less) by tightening the left rubber band.

You can balance her with the putty. I keep her a tiny bit less than neutral so she won't end up at the ceiling, but it doesn't matter, she works great in either case.

Some people had problems with the bird not flying level. If the bird faces up, move the motorized control unit forward a little. Start at the center, between where it connects at the front and where it connects at the back. And make sure the string is tight enough to move when pressing "climb" or "dive". If the control unit doesn't move, tighten the string one hole. Another thing to check is to be sure the wire is loose along the string and the control unit moves easily.

Enjoy!

edit 1: I often leave "Angry" free in the downstairs family room. She never stays there long. One time she was looking out an upstairs window facing north when we left and when we came back she was looking out a different upstairs window facing west. A couple of times she decided to go into the basement to look around, it's below the family room. So she'll go up or down depending on what she feels like. Oh and recently she wondered into our bedroom closet during the day and we didn't notice her until my wife was startled going into the closet early in the morning. Now I'll keep her tethered when not in use.

edit 2: The drive mechanism broke after near 100 hours of autoswimming. Really it was just the spring. I found another spring and she goes again. I don't know where the spring came from, I have a lot of parts laying around from my RC airplanes, helicopters, quad-copters and oh yes Angry Bird...

edit 1/24/2013 - I did the first helium fillup on 1/4/13. As helium dissipated, I kept tightening the string so the up/down control worked. But after 9 days enough helium dissipated that I had to fill her up again. Instead of using more helium, I used a bike pump and put in air. Then the string could be tightened properly. I just had to add more air again today, 1/24/13. I still have not added any more helium. She does fly slower now, but she's still a whole bunch of fun to fly around. I will continue to fill with air until she needs more helium. I have a tank of helium, but not everyone does. So this can save many trips to the store to fill with helium. I don't know how many times I can do this, I'll let you know when I give up on air. But I still have a lot of putty on the receiver.

edit 2/5/2013 - I have not filled Angry with anything since 1/24/2013. I did have to remove more putty, but there still is a lot more that I can remove later. This is crazy, to be able to do one complete fill of helium on 1/4/2013 and never add any more helium and still be able to fly!!!

edit 3/8/2013 - Again I have not filled Angry with helium since 1/4/2013, over 2 months ago!!! I have been filling Angry with air using a bicycle pump when needed. I just filled Angry with air by blowing into the balloon! Much easier and faster than a pump. ALL the putty had to be removed and Angry was still a little heavier than air. But Angry still flew well just like always. But he had to point up a little to fly level. Still he flew up to the top of the 2nd story in my family room just like always.

So this is it. I'm calling it, 2 whole months of flying with a single fillup of helium and just air to make the balloon full.

On a different subject: My friend has a shark and I filled it up for him the first time (a whole lot more helium than Angry). He recently when to the local party store and paid $1.99 to top it off (He didn't try air like I told him to). So a refill didn't cost much. Don't know what a full first fill would cost, maybe the same??
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 1, 2013
Verified Purchase
Looks like an exciting toy, especially watching the videos online. The first thing you need to do is the blowup the balloon. Of course, you just don't blow up the balloon with regular air, you need to bring it to a store to put helium into it, which is a little disappointing for excited kids after opening their present. You can bring it to any store that sell balloons. I would suggest to bring it to a dollar store that sell balloons. We don't have one close by so I brought it to the local Giant grocery. I was told the price depends on the size of the balloon. The Balloon is big, it's around 3 feet across, the lady asked me to pay four dollars.

It requires some assembly. It has instructions inside the box, but I suggest to watch the online videos which are very helpful. The bird has two pink styrofoam fins. We did not get a double-sided tape in the box, luckily I have some at home. But the fins fall off very easily during flight.

We thought it was defective when the tail did not move at first. But the first thing you need to do is to pair the controller with the pod assembly (shown in the video is the actual pairing instruction). Put batteries in the controller and stick the pod assembly on it to charge. After that, press and hold any button on the controller until it blinks. Now, you are ready for your maiden flight.

Anyway, it broke just after one day. The motor that makes the balloon goes up and down, just stopped working. I checked what's wrong with it making sure the strings are not entangled. Still, the motor refuse to budge forward, only backward. I also noticed that the helium leaks fast. At this rate, I would need to replenish the helium every three days.

Overall, I think it is an expensive toy for all the hassle and toy's longevity.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought a different air swimmer for my children about 2 years ago. The kids loved it and when I saw the Angry Birds version, I just had to try it out. We are big Angry Birds fans and I knew this toy would be perfect for us.

Pros:
-You can take this balloon to any grocery store that has a balloon shop to get it inflated.
-The directions provided were easy to follow. This was a big improvement over the original air swimmers we bought 2 years ago.
-It took only about 10 minutes to assemble and I had no extra help.
-The balloon charging station is part of the remote control. It doesn't get much easier than that!
-The remote control provides a compartment to keep the extra putty. Again - they've kept it simple.
-The balloon actually flies as shown on the video in the manufacturer's website! You will not be disappointed.
-We bring out the balloon any time the kids have a play date or a sleepover. It's a huge hit.

Cons: for once, I can't find anything negative to say about a product.

If you love watching your kids be mesmerized, I suggest you give this toy a try. I'm the mother of a 7 and a 9 year old. Both kids love it and flying this toy around your house doesn't get old.
on January 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
I purchased 2 of these, They are fun, simple toys when they work. A waste of money when they do not. The first one worked as described which it should.
The second one did not work straight out of the box. I assembled everything as instructed, and once that was complete when I attempted to use this toy, the motor that controls climb and dive function did not work properly. You can hear the motor activate but the string that it is supposed to ride along is apparently disconnected somewhere inside the motor housing.
I contacted the manufacturer via e-mail as the instructions dictate, after one week I tried again. Not even a response. Sure, I got the automated we got your message and will contact you soon reply, but that was about 3 weeks ago, and nothing since. If they simply sent just the motor housing and string assembly I'd be perfectly happy with that but not even a response. Horrible.
on December 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
Despite seeing the videos, pictures, etc, I was surprised at just how big this balloon is when fully inflated!

The balloon seems well crafted (once one accepts that it is, after all, just a balloon). I went into my local grocery store to have it inflated, and then assembled it, before giving it to my nieces and nephews (giving it to them in a form not instantly usable would have been a far greater crime than giving it to them unwrapped).

Be prepared for a little sticker shock on cost of helium. Evidently it's on the rise... I'm sure there are less expensive places, but my local Harris Teeter grocery store charged me about $12 to inflate it - more than the cost of the toy itself. I don't feel it's right to blame the seller for that - it's the buyer's responsibility to assess other costs of use (like 'no batteries included') - but do want to provide that info as this unbelievable value of a toy at $10 drops to what's still a pretty good value when completed.

Performance... fantastic. It took about 10 minutes to finish assembly and properly weight it to keep it level, and the kids -FLAT OUT- loved it.

The only concern I have is that the motor seemed to be a little sluggish when trying to move towards the tail to allow ascent (it didn't have any bad 'sound,' but didn't move along the string flawlessly). Time will be the true test.
on December 16, 2013
Verified Purchase
THE KIDS WANTED ONE OF THESE BALLOONS FOR SOME TIME, SO WE ORDERED THE RED ANGRY BIRD, HAD IT BLOWN UP AT THE LOCAL GROCERY STORE, HID IT IN THE GUEST ROOM UNTIL CHRISTMAS MORNING. SO FAR-SO GOOD. AFTER THE KIDS WENT TO BED AT NIGHT, DADDY COULD NOT KEEP HIS HANDS OFF FROM IT, AND SENT IT THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE, UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS, AROUND CORNERS, AND AFTER THE DOG. CHRISTMAS MORNING ARRIVES AND ON IT'S MAIDEN VOYAGE, DADDY IS SHOWING THE KIDS HOW TO NAVIGATE IT-----UP THE STAIRS AND DIRECTLY INTO THE ONLY ROOM WITH A CEILING FAN WHIRLING ON HIGH. WE HEARD ONE TERRIFIC POP AND IT FELL TO THE FLOOR, AND BOTH KIDS STARTED CRYING. THE BIRD WAS DEAD. THE BEAUTY OF THIS STORY IS THAT THE COMPANY, WITHOUT ASKING THEM TO DO SO, SENT US ANOTHER , FREE OF CHARGE. WITH A KIND LETTER HOPING THE KIDS WOULD FINALLY BE ABLE TO GET THEIR HANDS ON THE REMOTE CONTROLS.
THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS FANTASTIC AND I WOULD DEAL WITH THEM AGAIN IN A CHRISTMAS MOMENT. CHERYL
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2014
Verified Purchase
Do NOT buy this product. It looks like a good deal and seems like it would be a really fun toy for kids and adults, but believe me you and your child will be disappointed. In addition to the balloon, you need to buy a tank of helium (~$20) or take it to your local party store to get filled. We had factored that cost in when we bought it. What we didn't factor in was the TOTAL LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE or that it would only fly part of one day.

Our Angry Bird came with a tear right at the tab where you insert the gas. This is not surprising given how thin the foil is there. The design could be easily improved as I've had normal party helium balloons that were far more durable. The Angry BIrd Air Swimmer worked briefly the first day and was great fun while it lasted -- but just the one day!

Unfortunately the battery doesn't last very long and without it you can't fly the balloon. By the time the battery was recharged, we had to refill (not entirely, but had to add a good amount) the helium or the bird wouldn't stay airborne even without any clay in the tray.

I have contacted customer service many times over several months (and did get an acknowledgement that they received my emails), but that was it -- nothing more. I never received an actual response to my questions and I did not receive an offer to replace the defective product.

My son was initially in love with his Red bird. He even waited patiently for it to recharge so he could play again. Imagine his devastation when his toy did not even last the weekend.

Bottom line: If you want it to fly once, maybe, then go ahead. Otherwise, don't waste your money!
on December 3, 2012
The only downside to this product, is that you have to fill it with helium before it will fly. Luckily, you can buy disposable helium tanks at party stores and so it's an easy enough problem to have. The pluses far outweigh that one negative. This is a fun toy for the whole family. You can't believe the hijinks you can have with a remote control flying balloon. This is especially great if your family happens to be fans of Angry Birds.
on January 23, 2014
Verified Purchase
Our family has an absolute blast with this toy. $5 for the toy + $4.50 to have it filled with helium = HOURS OF FUN. We race each other through obstacle courses (down the hall, around the column, fastest to bump the chandelier!) using a timer. Took my husband a little while to assemble it and found a video on YouTube to be helpful. Filled it with helium four weeks ago and still works just fine.
on January 14, 2013
Verified Purchase
Get present for the money! We had it filled up with helium at the grocery store. It's been able to fly for 3 weeks!